Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer 15-91 - FMQ question >

Singer 15-91 - FMQ question

Singer 15-91 - FMQ question

Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 PM

I say if you like it go for it... I have heard good things about the clones as well... and if I find a pretty one (teal or pink) for a good price it will come live with us (we'll say it's for dd )
Old 01-24-2012, 02:44 PM

I have the 15-91 and I love it. I use it mostly for chain piecing with a 1/4" foot.

I have tried it with the FMQ foot. It is really easy to lift the machine up and loosen a screw drop the feed dogs. The bobbin size is HUGE... I really appreciate that. I also enjoy the large size of the sewing table.

The one issue I had was the presser foot had a little too much pressure. I think you can turn the knob up top to reduce pressure, maybe someone can confirm this?

I got my fmq foot from sew-classic.com, they have nice machine parts!

I have been spoiled by a quilting frame and a 17" Voyager, so I only did the one project FMQ on the 15-91. More throat is better for full size or queen sized quilts.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM

I don't have a Juki. A friend has a Juki and I play on it occasionally. I am still apprehensive with the speed with which it sews but otherwise it is a great machine. I am sure it would be easy to get used to if you had one but I am very happy with my vintage machines. I am not sure which one it is but I think the TL98Q (?).
To be honest with you I don't do a lot of stippling and no micro stippling. What I have done requires more practice but that is not the machines fault, it is operator inexperience. FMQ requires practice and if your machine has the ability to do FMQ and you take the time to practice you will eventually be able to conquer the skill. There are quite a few quilters on this forum that use these vintage machines exclusively for their FMQ and they swear by them. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. Ann
Old 01-24-2012, 03:52 PM

dawn check the www.shopgoodwill.com online shop too. i have seen quite a few vintage machines for sale here. try the ft. wayne, in and the two wisconsin store sites. they seem to have frequent sewing related titems in these stores.

i dont know what state you are in but i just checked cl in my area (st. louis) are there are several vintage machines for sale. are you far away? wanna go on a road trip?

i just saw this vintage domestic in a red case for $15.00. i might check it out just for the red case.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]305951[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
I have to say, in my searches in my area (a larger metropolitan area) - I am hard pressed to find these type of machines for less than $100. There are a few listed on ebay, but I am hesitant to do that, because this is my first foray into vintage machines - and I am hoping that I don't have to tackle the rewiring thing right away. And this one comes with a cabinet. I still have not heard from the person who listed it for sale, so I am not sure if it is still available. But it is within an hour - so I can test drive it. I actually love the look of the cabinet. Doesn't match anything in my home, but I like it.

Ann - I was wondering how you found stippling to be on your 15-91? It sounds like you have a Juki too. Have you liked your Juki as well? So many sewing machines, so many decisions!
Attached Thumbnails 5i75he5j23l23me3h8c1l8eaf2fc5ab0e127a.jpg  
Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM

Thank you for the Goodwill tip, I'll have to look there. A bit afraid to start with one that looks like it probably needs rewiring off the bat - but such a good deal - worth thinking about! I am in North Texas. Wish I could go on a road trip. That's okay, if this one doesn't work out, somewhere in the future one will. I think I have asked enough questions to get a good idea of some of the differences between the 301, the 201 and the 15-91 (which is the one I prefer).

Thank you all for the additional info on FMQ! I do mostly stippling - but that is because I am comfortable with it, so have gotten faster. However, I do want to branch out to other things. Which will take more practice, and will also require me to go slower than stippling. I do have an almost king sized quilt top complete, have the batting and backing, ready to sandwich. Not ready to tackle it on my current machine though. But aside from that, I would say most of my quilts will probably be of the lap top variety, with an occasional larger quilt (such as - I know I want to make myself a Christmas themed quilt - so that will be another queen to king size).
Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 AM

I bought a 15-91 last spring at a yard sale for 35$ in a cabinet, I found a manual for 7$ on line and attachments for 35$ and then was given some attachments by a friend so I sold my doubles. I bought a walking foot for it and a new throat plate with the 1/4 inch mark on it. Not expensive at all. I love the way it sews, My wiring needs to be redone which I will do shortly not a hard job to tackle. With the manual it shows you how to do everything including taking the tension apart and and putting it back together. A manual for me was a must and should be for you to that way you will get the best out of your machine. Good Luck and I think that you will like it. Just an after thought I have an expensive BabyLock/ Embroidery/Sewing machine and I truly have to say the stitching on the 15 is better and my babylock has a had time going through multiple layers of fabric and some times doesn't at all but the trusty old 15 makes short work of it.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:29 AM

Okay, so heard back from the owner of the original machine/cabinet I posted about - and it's still available!!! I am going to see it after work, take it for a test drive (she said she'd have it plugged in, has a lot of fabric). I will take some of my own fabric as well, plus a quilt sandwich.

I am excited, yet very nervous at the same time. I am thinking that if I go with this machine - then I will need to put off buying the Brother PQ1500 machine I was planning on getting next month. I can't justify buying multiple machines. So, I feel pressure that I need to know that this machine is "right" for what I need it to do. I believe that the stitching will not be an issue. It is the FMQ part/harp space that I need to be sure of. I feel like I need to know if I go with this machine - then I am committing to being able to FMQ my almost king quilt top (110 x 110). And I am already very nervous about that anyway! I am worried about starting it - and then wanting to shoot myself when I become frustrated with trying to manipulate the bulk in my machine. I have about half decided though that I will cut my batting in thirds and work with it that way, which I am trying to assure myself will be of big help!!

Also, speed could be an issue. I am stippling on a lap quilt right now. And - so wishing I could go faster. I could handle faster at this point - but am already going pedal to the metal. And I am finding it quite boring to sit for very long meandering along. Which partly I am thinking - time to move on with my FMQing skills - and venture past meandering!! But all the same - I need to be sure I am happy with whatever speed I find this machine goes (I have a Janome MC4800 right now).

I feel much pressure to get this right!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 AM

dawn there is a singer 99 for sale in my area cl for $50.00. i wish i could get it and have been thinking about it but..... check cl in other cities near you that you can and are willing to travel to and see what vintage machines are available. good luck with your search. you will find that something that you are looking for at a price you can live with.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 AM

good luck and just breathe!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 AM

My avatar is about 108" square and I stitched and quilted the whole thing on my 15-91. And it does stitch faster than my new pfaff. Quieter too - makes a clickity sound.
For what it's worth... you may not have quite as much space on the singer... but you should have enough... and it's a flat bed machine. the machine and table are level so there isn't that hump on it to pull the heavy (kings are VERY heavy) quilt over while quilting. it's fairly simple to add ironing boards etc to support the quilt around the table, but not so easy to support the quilt around a raised sewing machine bed unless you spend more money on extension tables.