Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer 301?? >

Singer 301??

Singer 301??

Old 03-22-2014, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I much prefer my 301 over my FW. One of the main reasons is the slant needle, which makes the stitching action so visible. I recently sewed on a nice new modern machine and noticed that it and others have the needle tucked back so far that I almost have to stand on my head to see it.

I love my 301. The feed dogs are narrow, and I understand that there is no walking foot specifically made for them, but I have a slant needle walking foot that operates perfectly on it.

Prices vary. I got lucky and found mine for $20 at a garage sale. Her name is Sissy (big sister to FW). My second one was purchased at the estate sale of a sewing machine repair man. It was $25 or $30. It worked fine, but had been stored in a shed and was extremely dirty. I cleaned it up and eventually gave it to the neighbor girls who sew with me. That one is named Missy.

As far as weight goes, the 301 is a few pounds heavier than a FW, but still light enough to be ideal for carrying to classes.
Can I ask where you bought your slant ..walking foot????
I want one in PRIMO condition and will pay the $$ to get it..I take REALLY good care of my machines,like them to look great..if I get the 301,I am thinking I will sell my 221,if I like the 301 as well.To restricted by the throat area on the FW..can take the 301 to retreat or group quilting and know I can pretty much do anything I want to do on it..
Old 03-22-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltDreamin View Post
Not sure what you mean by "button controlle",do you mean the foot control button..? I really prefer the one on my Featherweight to my Brother Quattro..easier on my bursitis in my hip..
again, many thanx for your post full of great info..think I will like the slant needle..
I turn the foot control around so the button is in the back and rest my foot on the platform. Works better for me.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:41 AM

Might try that idea
Old 03-22-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltDreamin View Post
Can I ask where you bought your slant ..walking foot????
I want one in PRIMO condition and will pay the $$ to get it..I take REALLY good care of my machines,like them to look great..if I get the 301,I am thinking I will sell my 221,if I like the 301 as well.To restricted by the throat area on the FW..can take the 301 to retreat or group quilting and know I can pretty much do anything I want to do on it..

I don't remember exactly where I got the walking foot -- probably an estate or garage sale. It is a Singer brand and probably made for a later slant machine.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:33 PM

I have a 301 and a 301A (longer bed). I have a walking foot for each of them for the quilting part of creating the quilt. I love them. The quilt I posted on the pictures this week was completely done on the 301A, pieced, machine quilted and binding sewed on. I hand sew the binding for the last part and do some hand quilting on areas of the quilt. But for the most part, done on "Ivory". My black 301 "Ebony" has a shorter bed but I have quilted at least 5 quilts on her. They are all regular or queen size quilts. I bought her on ebay for $120.00 and the date on her was 1952. But I sure wouldn't get ride of my 221 Featherweight, she does a great job on quilt piecing and smaller quilts. Hope this helps. Also, Sew Classic has great walking feet for our older sewing machines and she is very reasonable also.
Attached Thumbnails ivory301a.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 03-22-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:41 PM

I use my Featherweight for all my piecing and have had no problem piecing king size quilt tops. I do all my quilting on a Bernina. Although I have a walking foot, I would not try quilting even a baby quilt on my Featherweight. Sorry, I don't know about the 301.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
I have a 301 and a 301A (longer bed). I have a walking foot for each of them for the quilting part of creating the quilt. I love them. The quilt I posted on the pictures this week was completely done on the 301A, pieced, machine quilted and binding sewed on. I hand sew the binding for the last part and do some hand quilting on areas of the quilt. But for the most part, done on "Ivory". My black 301 "Ebony" has a shorter bed but I have quilted at least 5 quilts on her. They are all regular or queen size quilts. I bought her on ebay for $120.00 and the date on her was 1952. But I sure wouldn't get ride of my 221 Featherweight, she does a great job on quilt piecing and smaller quilts. Hope this helps. Also, Sew Classic has great walking feet for our older sewing machines and she is very reasonable also.
Do you find any problem with the short bed on the 301 vs the long bed????..is there really THAT much difference with quilting/piecing on the short one?
I just think if I LOVE my 301(If i win the bidding) I would use it for everything where the FW limits me a bit..but who knows, hubby is fine with me having them both(PLUS my Brother Quattro for Mach Emb)..
Is that quilt(lovely!) done in the Lovers Knot pattern? Bought El Burns Quilt in A Day of that pattern..
thanx for your reply..
Old 03-23-2014, 05:17 PM

ok,I just bought it on ebay...can't wait for it to get here so I can "play" on my new/used machine..
C
Old 03-23-2014, 07:27 PM

You will love it! I bought my first one on ebay for way too much money. It was a long bed black. Then I found one on Craigslist with original attachments and trapezoid case. That was a mocha long bed. Then another black shortbed. And a mocha shortbed in desk with knee control. Another long bed mocha in carry case. The last one was another black shortbed in Singer 65 walnut table. I am still on lookout for the two tone shortbed. Would love to find one to round out my collection. Sew classic sells slant feet,oil grease and walking feet. Make sure you download a manual. These machines NEED to have their motors lubricated. The new recommendation is to use Vaseline, as the new Singer lubricant has too high a melting point. I just bought a syringe from Sew Classic to use for that. It has a curved tip to make it easier to get into little hole. I hope you love your machine! Love it back with frequent oiling and some grease!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:56 PM

My AnnieRose does a fantastic job both piecing and FMQ. It is a full size machine, just made of aluminum so it's lighter than a steel machine. 17 pounds isn't very heavy. I can't sew unless my machine is flush with the desk so I had to modify a Sears cabinet for her. I personally wouldn't try to FMQ with a FW, but I don't have one so I may not know what I'm talking about.