Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Quantum L-500 - does anyone have this machine? >

Singer Quantum L-500 - does anyone have this machine?

Singer Quantum L-500 - does anyone have this machine?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I'm excited for you and can't wait to see what you think of it. Hope yours is a dream machine. Keep us posted.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 AM

I also got this one the first time it was on HSN. I needed a new 2nd machine. I thought the thread cutter was a little loud until I watched Sewing with Nancy and heard her machine in the background (also Fons&Porter). I haven't had any trouble with mine, sews just fine. I still have to try FMQ with it. The bobbin holder is just like my old White machine.
Only thing I don't like is the bobbin low function. It pretty much stops sewing at that point, which is disappointing if I only have a short way to go to finish a seam. I just take the bobbin out and use the rest for hand sewing binding.
As with any machine it has to be threaded properly per the directions for the smoothest ride.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Janome has a built in walking foot. Lever is in back and you just snap on the foot. I didn't think I would like the top bobbin, but I actually do. I can see my bobbin thread dwindling down and have only run out of thread once.
The Pfaff, Babylock, and Singer have the kind of walking foot where you engage the mechanism by pushing the lever under the foot. No tools required.

Isn't it funny how we are all different in what floats our boats? lol
Old 04-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by drivingsusan
I have been very pleased with my Quantum L500!
I LOVE the built-in walking foot. Have yet to install the foot pedal....just push the 'go' button and off it goes...at any consistant speed!! Needle up/down is great!
It will get loud IF the bobbin is not in 'right'...or... if there is a build up of 'fuzz' in the (where the top thread runs from the spool to the needle)...old age is making the correct word escape me!
I sew much better with this machine than I ever have---straight lines, even 1/4 in.....
And the distance from the needle to throat is awesome! Lots of room!
I really love it and I got it when it first came out!
If you have any ?????? you may just ask me or Singer has a dedicated # just for HSN customers!!!
Thanks for that thumbs up reply. I have had the walking foot on my Pfaffs for years and love it too. I have also broken a few needles until I got the bobbin shuttle seated correctly. My current Pfaff has been forcing me to do more cleaning because of lint build-up in the feed dogs.

I donwloaded the manual last night to get a head start and now I am even more impatient.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
why not check out Viking?
I did - the answer: no built-in walking foot and that is a deal breaker for me.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by greencat
Only thing I don't like is the bobbin low function. It pretty much stops sewing at that point, which is disappointing if I only have a short way to go to finish a seam. I just take the bobbin out and use the rest for hand sewing binding.

I laughed out loud because that is one of the reasons I am replacing my Pfaff. Well, if it just stops and you HAVE to change the bobbin then that's that. Heavy sigh.....but still excited. Glad you love your machine.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Sharon and littlehud: I have to wait at least 9 more days unless I can hypnotize the UPS guy to run like the wind. lol
Old 04-23-2010, 01:14 PM

I also bought the L-500 when it was the Today's Special and I really like mine. Yes, it does have a problem with the thread cutter that I should probably get fixed, but that isn't a big issue for me. My machine is actually pretty quiet and sews nicely. I have some other TOL machines and I feel that this machine holds its own quite well and is good value for the money.

There is definitely a learning curve, however, as the threading, bobbin etc. operate quite a bit differently from most of my previous machines.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by greencat

I laughed out loud because that is one of the reasons I am replacing my Pfaff. Well, if it just stops and you HAVE to change the bobbin then that's that. Heavy sigh.....but still excited. Glad you love your machine.
When the low bobbin warning shuts you down...just wait a few seconds...you will be able to sew again...and again!!! It always seems to happen on the last 3 inches!! But the warning always sounds at least 5 inches ahead of time!!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

Good thing I already downloaded the manual and started reading, akrogirl.

I read that the sound can be deactivated on this machine. Hm, might not be a good idea or I'll get whiplash when the bobbin stops. lol

Got notified today that it is in the good hands of UPS. I will probably be on that tracking number like the kids who watch the Santa GPS at Christms.