Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Treadle Machine >

Singer Treadle Machine

Singer Treadle Machine

Old 09-10-2011, 04:17 PM

depends on the area. Where I am, I notice they're around $150+. I paid $120 for mine and it was missing one small piece.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:29 PM

It just didn't seem quite right to me. I'm in no rush, but I'd sure like to have one someday. Yard sales and CL are probably a better option...antique stores tend to think too much of their wares.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 PM

You just have to stay out of those antique shops! If you're looking for a good bargain, try a repair shop. I almost bought a treadle Singer in one, and it would have cost me $100 including a beautiful cabinet. Plus it was in perfect working order, and had a ton of attachments (1928 model). The only problem was that the shipping to get it home was over $400. So I passed.

Other good places to check are Craig's list, yard sales, estate sales, and just getting the word out that you're looking for one. Eventually, one will turn up. Make sure it works and has attachments before you consider it a bargain. Happy Hunting!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 PM

I always have really great luck posting a 'Want to Buy' ad on Craigslist. I wanted a Singer 31-15 industrial in the worst way. I couldn't find one locally and they are too heavy and expensive to ship. I posted a WTB ad and had one in my sewing room 2 days later for 125.00 including the solid maple top power stand and motor! It was only an hour away.

I decided I wanted a Pfaff 138 for zigzag capability and because it would fit in the same cut out of the power stand for the Singer 31-15. I would be able to swap out the heads, depending on the task at hand. I posted a WTB ad and got 3 offers of machines. I had one a week later. An hour away in the opposite direction.

In both instances the children saw the ad on CL and told their parents someone was looking for the machine they had. you never know what is hiding in someones basement but they don't know how to get it sold.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
I always have really great luck posting a 'Want to Buy' ad on Craigslist. I wanted a Singer 31-15 industrial in the worst way. I couldn't find one locally and they are too heavy and expensive to ship. I posted a WTB ad and had one in my sewing room 2 days later for 125.00 including the solid maple top power stand and motor! It was only an hour away.

I decided I wanted a Pfaff 138 for zigzag capability and because it would fit in the same cut out of the power stand for the Singer 31-15. I would be able to swap out the heads, depending on the task at hand. I posted a WTB ad and got 3 offers of machines. I had one a week later. An hour away in the opposite direction.

In both instances the children saw the ad on CL and told their parents someone was looking for the machine they had. you never know what is hiding in someones basement but they don't know how to get it sold.
Hey, that's a great idea. I never knew there was a "Want to Buy" section on Craig's List. I'm going to try that too! And I'll bet a lot of other people will as well. Thanks! You've done a great service here!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:41 PM

Saw one today in hatboro, pa (near philadelphia) for $75. Fairly good condition, did not buy it. (i can hardly beleive i didn't buy it!!)
Pm me if you want to know where ;)
Old 09-11-2011, 06:35 AM

they are getting so rare, that they are in running shape, I would not be afraid to pay that much. I got one 2 years ago and that is what I paid. I love it and it sews great.... :thumbup:
Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I paid $150 for mine. It needed a belt and a good cleaning. It was in an antique store. I was happy to get it since it was the only one I'd even seen after years of looking around here.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:50 AM

My husband just found one on Craig's list for $70 in great working condition with a nice cabinet and a stool that was easily repaired; the lady just wanted a good home for it and we gave her one. Keep looking, there are good deals out there. Good Luck.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
Way too much, would have to be in "pristine" condition for that price!
I concur!