Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sisters quilt show.   Pros and cons please. Camping nearby? >

Sisters quilt show. Pros and cons please. Camping nearby?

Sisters quilt show. Pros and cons please. Camping nearby?

Old 07-05-2018, 10:31 AM

I went the year it was 105 - we had no trouble parking but a friend of mine came from Portland by bus. I think if I were to do it again - that is what I would do - look for a bus in and out. We did arrive early. And I would also take food with me. They are right, the restaurants are busy because it is a small town and for some reason do no bring in food trucks. (Or at least they did not the year I attended.)
There are over 1000 quilts hung from first and second story railings - so you might want to bring some small binoculars too. I thought it was well worth it - we stayed in a nice hotel in Bend and made a big weekend of it. (The show is only one day.)
Old 07-05-2018, 12:37 PM

Sisters is a unique experience. Research where you are going. It's a small town. Quilts are displayed on the outside of buildings in downtown area. It is beautiful and well worth the trip. There are also some great quilt shops in nearby Redmond and Bend. It's very easy to spend a week end shopping.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:17 PM

Be sure to eat at Takoda's restaurant at the edge of town. It isn't the restaurant in the middle of town. There is ample parking and good food there.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:43 PM

2 yrs ago, I went on a 1 wk bus trip with guild. The temp was below 80, overcast, nice wind. Since it's upper dessert, it's more likely to be be very hot, dry, dusty. We went to the store on Friday. Stayed in Bend. Returned on Saturday before 8:00am. For lunch, I purchased a sandwich from a restaurant at 11:00am and got a snack in the pm.

It was worth it, but I'm not planning to attend this time.

I suggest you take: hat, water, sun glasses, sun screen, very comfortable shoes, fan, shopping bag.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:23 PM

We went last year. We stayed in Sisters. Motel was a little pricey but worth it. Saw the quilt store on Friday evening so it was busy but had room to walk around. Lots of groups selling food for fund raisers and a lot of chairs sitting outside shops. The morning was nice but it got hot in the afternoon. I got the impression that they have classes during the week, but never saw any literature on it. I would go again if the opportunity comes again.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:21 PM

Thanks ladies. Your advice is invaluable. With all your advice, We’ve decided to go. We’ll camp as close as we can, get up at 6 and drive in. We come equipped with cooler and stove so we won’t have to eat out. I won’t even try for the quilt store. We’ll leaveas close to noon as we can and slip off to another campsite.

My DH is now thinking of this as a financial opportunity, pedicab, renting chairs, selling water 🤗

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 07-05-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:07 PM

I am going on a Bus with our guild. 5 day trip, stopping at different quilt shops on the way, 2 night in motels and 2 nights in the college dorms near Sisters. We have also ordered prepared sack lunches,so we don't have to waste time standing in line for lunch...So Excited!!
Old 07-06-2018, 09:30 AM

I went 3 years ago with a friend that lives near Eugene OR (I am in AL) on a bus full of ladies. We had an awesome time. Some traffic but not terrible. Bus stopped about 1/2 way and we got snacks there (advise eat when you can) and there were lots of burned acres from recent fires. The bus dropped us off very close in to town, picked us up about 2pm for the trip back. It was all I could do (heat, tired, too much walking in short time) to get back to the bus! I wished we had driven so we could have taken our time and not been rushed, but truthfully I was beat! I was happy to not have to drive home and also glad they made me leave, i would have passed out if I stayed longer. I was very impressed with the show, loved the displays and the quilts were awesome. Been to many "local" shows, OR, FL, GA, CA and AL, and it sure topped them all. It is during row by row time frame, and I was able to get into the quilt shop and get the pattern and license plate, but it was crowded. My advise, again, eat where you get the chance. We met up with some friends from CA and waited over an hour to get into a restaurant, then took over an hour to get served and eat. Time wasted as far as being out of commission to walk and see the quilts (loved seeing the friends tho) so I would have packed a sack lunch. I think vendor trucks would be an awesome idea, don't know it they are allowed, but I would think that would be a great business opportunity! It was fun and I would go again. If I didn't take a bus, I would try to go the day before and walk the town and shops, then stay the night and see the show. Several friends have done that and they loved it.