Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit Down Quilt Machine >

Sit Down Quilt Machine

Sit Down Quilt Machine

Old 05-02-2018, 09:06 AM

I have the Viking Platinum 16 the same as the Sweet 16- and I'm very happy with it. I do a lot of ruler work with it with no problems, too . The only thing I would recommend adding is system a suspender system similar to the Jennoop system like Patsy Thompson uses. It holds the weight of the quilt up with clamps- it's very easy to make at home and inexpensive.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:31 PM

I have a Tiara which is the same as the Sweet 16. Easy to use. The dealer threw in the stitch regulator which I don't use - to me it is more trouble than it is worth. Try it before you buy it.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:13 AM

Thanks to all that replied. All had pretty good input which we will surely keep in our forethought as we go to purchase our next machine. I am really thinking about getting 2 sit down machines, one for her house and one for mine. However, we don't have that extra space at either place. Our husband's may not like the idea LOL

Happy Quilting to All!!

Monique
Old 05-06-2018, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I just bought a Juki QVP 2200 at the Paducah show. I'm really loving all the visibility and space so far!
Old 05-06-2018, 08:30 AM

Sewbizgirl, How much of a break in price can a buyer get at a quiltshow on a longarm machine? Such a huge price difference between the smaller machines and a longarm. Many of us struggle with that price gap.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:02 AM

Check out used sit down machines on line. You might get a very good deal. Of course, you might find nothing, as well. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:18 AM

I have a Janome Artistic SD 18 Longarm Quilting machine. I really like it. I had a bit of tension issues but got it solved. It is a good machine and I'm completely happy. I will mention that I have worn out the ring on the bobbin winder and I haven't been able to locate a new one. It has been suggested that I purchase an off board bobbin winding machine. I purchase this machine almost 4 years ago and have sewn approximately 25 queen quilts, too many to count lap quilts and just as many table toppers/runners. Once I figure out this bobbin winder issue - I'll be up and running again. My girlfriend bought one several days after I purchased mine and she has had no issues either. A great source of information is on a website "caffeninated quilter" and on her website is a video on how to thread the machine and how to take care of tension issues. I sure wish that had been in place when I purchased it. Both my friend and I paid $3,999.00 for our machines and company we purchased it from wouldn't budge a nickel. It appears they are selling for $2,999.00 online. It has been a good, solid purchase.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I have the Sweet 16 and like it a lot. It is the same machine as the Baby Lock Tiara. One difference is that the table top level is (or at least used to be) different from the top level on the machine. This makes ruler work difficult unless you have the overlay. I ended up buying the overlay.

As for the stitch regulator, I have it but don't use it. It is easy enough to get yourself "regulated." I would not buy it again if I got a do-over.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:36 AM

I'm having an issue with my Juki QVP 2200 which I bought used online. It hasn't been serviced since I don't have a dealer nearby so I've tried solving any issues myself. It is huge and I love all the space and room to sew. But when I am stitching along, the needle gets jammed in the fabric and I have to manhandle it to get it out. Once it is freed, it sews along fine. This creates a mess of thread and small stitches that I have to rip out. Any suggestions?
Old 08-27-2021, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mama's place View Post
I'm having an issue with my Juki QVP 2200 which I bought used online. It hasn't been serviced since I don't have a dealer nearby so I've tried solving any issues myself. It is huge and I love all the space and room to sew. But when I am stitching along, the needle gets jammed in the fabric and I have to manhandle it to get it out. Once it is freed, it sews along fine. This creates a mess of thread and small stitches that I have to rip out. Any suggestions?
You might get more help if you post this in a new post.