Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: This site is dangerous....

Blog Entries
    Be careful college students, don't let your studies slip. Very happy you have turned to the quilting site rather than drugs or alcohol, but we don't want to be responsible for a college dropout due to quilting! Your education MUST be first. You have the rest of your life to quilt.

This site is way to addicting..I just love to check it out each day.

Yes, I spend too much time here but get so many tips and ideas. I have a stack of pictures and a file on the computer of pictures for future quilts. My stash has grown and I'm a regular at the fabric stores. DH doesn't complain; he helped me make an extension for the ironing board and rearrage the spare room, etc. I'm sure he doesn't have a clue how much money is invested in my relatively small stash. The tutorials here are great and I can usually search and find answers when I have specific questions. I am struggling with free motion quilting but trying to be patient. I can't remember how I found the site but it is the best!

I have learned that if I sit down to the computer first, I don't make it to the sewing machine to quilt! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I always find a new idea or two - every time I get on here. I have bookmarked some tutorials board members have done. That way, when I get time, I can go back to them and - tada! - my next project is waiting!

First of all, I would like to say how nice it is to see how many of the younger generation are enjoying the art of quilting. I too have been so inpired and addicted by this site. Now that I'm retired, I have found a group of wonderful people and alot great ideas to keep me busy forever, that is I can find the time to get off this site.
    Thanks to all..Sassyg from Ga.

Blog Entries
    I tend to go from craft to craft. When I started quilting last year, I figured I'd make a couple of quilts then move on to something else. After joining this site, I now have a looooooooooooooong list of quilts that I just have to make. It's also expensive! People keep posting about online sales, and since I didn't have a stash... well, you know.

Oh man...nearly everything I know about quilting, I learned it here. I started quilting in August '10 and I am self taught, mostly. In researching how to make a quilt (because I just decided I wanted to make one, one day and knew NOTHING about the process), I came across this forum and learned and learned and learned. There are some things I've learned from other places, but the majority of my quilting know-how has come from this forum!!

Blog Entries
    Oh, gosh, where do I start? And, where do I end? I have learned so much here and seen so many beautiful things I never would have seen if I hadn't stumbled in here one day. I learned about kelidescope quilts, the Lil Twister and it's tool, the disappearing nine patch, one block wonder, and so many tools and gadgets, yard sale finds that make me envious, recipes and a lot of great friends. Whereelse can you find all this? and it didn't cost me a dime. (Well almost, I am a sucker for the Classifieds!!! I love the buying, selling and trading that goes on there. And my recipe folder is filling my gigabytes or what ever you call them. LOL

Born Nashville, TN - currently in Newbern, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by kiesh
    Quote Originally Posted by peggymunday
    Dangerous? You're not kidding. I spend way too much time on here sometimes, reading all the posts and gaining information and inspiration. And then yesterday I happened across something called a FabShopHop. heeheehee Sometimes I think I must have an obsessive personality. After reading about what it was, a chance to win prizes just by visiting the different quilting related sites that were listed (157 online stores) and searching for a picture of a bunny and clicking on it, and registering on each for additional prizes. I was off and running. The February shop hop was ending on the 28th (tomorrow) and it was already 11pm on the 26th. So what do I do but grab my notebook and pen, making a list as I go of the sites I visited and a checkmark when I located the bunny and a note if I signed up for a newsletter or mailing list to qualify for prizes. .....some 7 hours later (around 6am the next morning - told you I might be obsessive, lol) I had found all 157 bunnies and a set of 19 cupcake patterns for foundation piecing which are saved to my computer. I knew my time was limited and decided not to stop until I had finished. It was fun and now in a few days the next one starts for March. Who knows, maybe I'll win something. Can't win if you don't try, you know? And now I have a BUNCH of shops to choose from if I'm looking for a special fabric or a great sale. I still can't believe I sat here on this computer for 7 hours looking for bunnies....
    157 bunnies?? Wow! That's crazy. I looked around the site for a while, but didn't really understand. Now I know to stay far far away. Although I would like some prizes....No. I will resist!
    (in the Borg voice) No, resistance is futile....lol

At least you are learning something every time you long in.. Think of it as a on-line college class =) At least what is learned here you will actually use, unlike say trigonometry? j/k college is great...but here is more fun!

What have I learned from this site. I have learned how to piece a quilt and then sew blocks with everything matching. That is a dream but really this site has helped me improve my matching and shown me how important matching is.

OK - I give up. What is the twister tool and also the disappearing nine-patch?

I've aquired many new quilt patterns and books b/c i saw someones beautiful quilt on here. i had never heard of the D9P(I've made 2), twister tools(on the list) tumbler(quilt after next), well you see what I mean. i've met new friends, learned new things-dicovered i neede a FW(last birthday present) and I spend way too much time here. also online stores.

I need to know about the twister tool I have never heard of it. Info please :D

Quote Originally Posted by kiesh
    I'm a college student that enjoys quilting when I have time (which isn't very often, especially when I work at a camp over the summer.)
    Since discovering this site I have so many ideas in my head that I want to make. I even got a twister tool this past weekend. I never would've known about them if it wasn't for this site! I also never knew about the disappearing 9-Patch, and I have to say it may have been life changing. I can't wait to try it.
    What have you learned/discovered from this forum?
    I have learned over the past year. That you can spend to much time here reading all the post. LOL

Power Poster
    Spend way too much time on the computer but also learn alot plus enjoy looking at all the beautiful finished projects.

I completely agree with all of you. I'm a "newbie" here but I've already learned so much and have seen so many beautiful quilts. Right now I'm working on quilts for charity (Porcupine Mission on Pine Ridge Reservation in SD) - they are in such need of so many things. Any my quilting group is starting Little dresses for Africa and britches for boys this week. We meet at my house Thursday evenings so I plan to have several of each to work on when they come this week! We have a lot of fun!

Blog Entries
    And then from the easy D9P, there's an addition to that - someone on this board cut the block again corner to corner and rearranged the triangles (at that point they are triangles) and came up with a beautiful floral quilt that had a kaleidoscope affect. So that's rather easy too and a whole new look.

Haven't tried it yet but really want to sometime.

Like you, a lot of things that I want to try to make.

So nice to hear about a college student enjoying simple pleasures and wholesome activities. YOU GO GIRL...if you have to "splurge" fabric or rulers are a good way to do it. The gifts you give will be so enjoyed.

I think I have learned something every day that I open this site. Wonderful helpful people here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    That even though I may never meet any of you, I feel I have gained a lot of new friends, and I think you are all great!!
    Carol, you have such a wide friendly smile, I love finding posts from you. I need to see a great smile once in a while!

Oh this site is wonderful , I feel like I acuteely new the people here ore than I know my neighbors and I enjoy and look forward to being able to be on this site.

Blog Entries
    I never knew about the d9patch either. Plus other things about how to do things. Good read.

this site is hard to stay away from and my bookmark is probably getting over Loaded from everything i put on my to do list from in here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast