Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sites for Reasonably Priced Fabric >

Sites for Reasonably Priced Fabric

Sites for Reasonably Priced Fabric

Old 09-19-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer
No apology necessary. We all have a life beyond quilting. We don't expect our members to be chained to their computers on a 24/7 basis. Where is your daughter going to University? Good for her!
She is starting her second year at CalPoly in San Luis Obispo, CA.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Originally Posted by valerieolm
Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions. I couldn't sleep last night and thought about all of the sheets I have in my linen closet that are no longer used. As I'm relatively new to quilting, would old sheets work?
Don't forget pillowcases! Here are two pairs that I bought for under £1 for both:

When unpicked you get 2 yards of 70" wide fabric :shock: Each one is 18" wide, and I got 14 yep 14 yards of binding from just one.

There is no reason why you can't use them for quilts, front and back, I use bedding, poly or cotton, a lot for my Project Linus quilts as the material is designed and manufactured for laundering and with kiddiwinks quilts they do get a lot more washing than others.

Ask all your friends etc; to go through their linen cupboards for any spare pillowcases and sheets, you might get a lovely surprise.

BTW do make sure that they are in good condition as worn or pilled sheets are not worth using, best of luck.
Thank you for your suggestion.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 AM

You can use the more worn sheets for backing of quilt tops that are a bit thin. You know, where you've used fabric that isn't "top drawer", and shows a bit thin. Just baste the sheet onto the quilt top, and as you quilt it, remove the basting. It adds strength to the quilt top, and no one will ever see it. Just don't use a sheet that's "pilling". I'm afraid that one's for rags or practice.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 AM

You can use the more worn sheets for backing of quilt tops that are a bit thin. You know, where you've used fabric that isn't "top drawer", and shows a bit thin. Just baste the sheet onto the quilt top, and as you quilt it, remove the basting. It adds strength to the quilt top, and no one will ever see it. Just don't use a sheet that's "pilling". I'm afraid that one's for rags or practice.
Thanks! My husband suggested using old mattress pads for batting. However, I think they are too thick and lumpy with all of the designs sewn onto them.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM

Thanks! My husband suggested using old mattress pads for batting. However, I think they are too thick and lumpy with all of the designs sewn onto them.
I love your husband's "outside the box" thinking, and his willingness to help you with ideas. However, I do agree with you. I think an old mattress pad could be lumpy, and it certainly wouldn't drape well.

Things I have used for batting include old blankets, preferably rather plain ones. These make for very warm quilts, and can usually be found in quantity at places like Good Will, Salvation Army, and similar places (and possibly in your bedding closet!). For lighter weight quilts, I have used flannel. If you need it warmer, just stitch two pieces of flannel together. Make sure you pre-wash it, because flannel shrinks a lot, and unpredictably. It washes up fine. I have also used Crafter's felt, which is low loft, but it washes well, and gets softer and softer with use. It makes a fairly warm quilt, and again, if you want a really warm one, stitch two layers together. This is another "pre-wash necessary" fabric, due to shrinkage. Crafter's felt is a cotton -- or cotton/poly? -- fabric. Can't remember off hand. There is also wool felt available, and a layer of that is warm! Believe it or not, it also washes up well in cold water. And, of course, you can always do without the batting. Our grandmothers didn't have batting. They just stitched the quilt top right onto the backing, with nothing in the middle of the "sandwich". I've done it. They actually make terrific "summer weight", or light weight quilts. One friend of mine likes to use denim for batting. Says it's the only thing her kids can't destroy, and it's warm enough as well. For summer weight, she uses the denim as both the batting and the backing, so essentially she's just quilting the top right onto the denim. She buys in quantity, a bolt at a time, when it's on sale. (She also makes the kid's blue jeans and jackets.) Another prefers the material you would normally use to make baby diapers. Don't recall what it's called. I called them "nappies"! She buys it by the bolt from somewhere on line, gets a great deal. I'd give you the web site, but it's in England, so I think the shipping 'across the pond' would wipe out any savings. I've never looked for it over here.

Anyway, when it comes to batting, just use your imagination! My only word of caution is to find out if the fabric will shrink, and thus need a pre-wash. If you think of something and don't know if it will work, you can always post it on the Quilting Board. Surely someone else will have thought of it, and likely used it already, and can tell you how it works!

Happy quilting!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:47 PM

I love your husband's "outside the box" thinking, and his willingness to help you with ideas. However, I do agree with you. I think an old mattress pad could be lumpy, and it certainly wouldn't drape well.

Things I have used for batting include old blankets, preferably rather plain ones. These make for very warm quilts, and can usually be found in quantity at places like Good Will, Salvation Army, and similar places (and possibly in your bedding closet!). For lighter weight quilts, I have used flannel. If you need it warmer, just stitch two pieces of flannel together. Make sure you pre-wash it, because flannel shrinks a lot, and unpredictably. It washes up fine. I have also used Crafter's felt, which is low loft, but it washes well, and gets softer and softer with use. It makes a fairly warm quilt, and again, if you want a really warm one, stitch two layers together. This is another "pre-wash necessary" fabric, due to shrinkage. Crafter's felt is a cotton -- or cotton/poly? -- fabric. Can't remember off hand. There is also wool felt available, and a layer of that is warm! Believe it or not, it also washes up well in cold water. And, of course, you can always do without the batting. Our grandmothers didn't have batting. They just stitched the quilt top right onto the backing, with nothing in the middle of the "sandwich". I've done it. They actually make terrific "summer weight", or light weight quilts. One friend of mine likes to use denim for batting. Says it's the only thing her kids can't destroy, and it's warm enough as well. For summer weight, she uses the denim as both the batting and the backing, so essentially she's just quilting the top right onto the denim. She buys in quantity, a bolt at a time, when it's on sale. (She also makes the kid's blue jeans and jackets.) Another prefers the material you would normally use to make baby diapers. Don't recall what it's called. I called them "nappies"! She buys it by the bolt from somewhere on line, gets a great deal. I'd give you the web site, but it's in England, so I think the shipping 'across the pond' would wipe out any savings. I've never looked for it over here.

Anyway, when it comes to batting, just use your imagination! My only word of caution is to find out if the fabric will shrink, and thus need a pre-wash. If you think of something and don't know if it will work, you can always post it on the Quilting Board. Surely someone else will have thought of it, and likely used it already, and can tell you how it works!

Happy quilting!
You have provided me with so much great information. Thank you!