Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Size of Embroidery Design Question >

Size of Embroidery Design Question

Size of Embroidery Design Question

Old 07-24-2011, 02:44 AM

Hi everybody :) I was wondering what size of embroidery designs you buy when you buy them before you even know what you're going to do with them. I'm referring to Embroidery Library. They give you a choice of 3 sizes. Do you just pick the middle size when you don't have a specific project in mind? Your answers are greatly appreciated. They have some really sweet ones I'd like to order. (they can be as addictive as stashes lol) Thanks, Wendy
Old 07-24-2011, 02:53 AM

That's a good question. I've wondered the same thing at times. I usually try to think what I might use the design for based on the basic size of the embroidery. Also if it is very detailed I usually go for the med or lg size. I love their website and you are right it can be as addicitive as stashes. What machine do you use for the embroidery?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:20 AM

Everyone told me to get a machine which could do 5x7
if not I would be sorry later *L* but I find myself liking 4x4 so much better....Just did a quilt of 8 4x4 angels
for my great niece..Cut the embroidery blocks and quilt blocks 9x9 and it worked out great.....So I would say it would depend on what you like and what your working on....RF
Old 07-24-2011, 03:23 AM

I just got my Janome MC350e and love it (it has a 4x4 and 5x7 hoop). I also love http://www.embroiderydesigns.com/fre...rydesigns.aspx for embroidery designs. I don't know how much I've spent on designs but I got some great free ones as well from this site and their sales are pretty good as well. Yes, I am addicted to shopping for designs. (There I said it-lol.)
Old 07-24-2011, 03:33 AM

Some of it depends on you machine and what it will do. With the free ones; I get all of the sizes just in case.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:42 AM

Many of the designs are avaliable in both size at no extra cost from some.
I agree the Embroidery Library has thousands of designs to choose from but be sure to buy a couple and test sew them first, Their designs are known to be very dense and I have actually broken needles sewing them out and then the design was to dense for most clothing. I found when I bought some different designs of the same subject from them that one sewed out just fine but other two were so dense I never used them again. Get designer's free test sew designs and sew them out save test sews to make a charity quilt. You will soon learn who the good digitizers are. Also using proper stabelizer is important to the sew out.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ashgrover
I agree the Embroidery Library has thousands of designs to choose from but be sure to buy a couple and test sew them first, Their designs are known to be very dense and I have actually broken needles sewing them out and then the design was to dense for most clothing. I found when I bought some different designs of the same subject from them that one sewed out just fine but other two were so dense I never used them again. Get designer's free test sew designs and sew them out save test sews to make a charity quilt. You will soon learn who the good digitizers are. Also using proper stabelizer is important to the sew out.
this is great advice. thanks.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 AM

Sometimes small, somethimes medium.
I always can enlarge them with my software.
I have to say to make them smaller is not good with some designs because of their stitch density, they are better to enlarge.
That's my opinion.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

:lol: I'm an EL junkie! I generally get the 4x4 and then enlarge it, but if it is something I KNOW I will use right away, depending on the project I have in mind, I will go larger.

Kinda depends on the design itself.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ashgrover
My machine allows me to resize designs and keep the same stitch count. I usually make the emblibrary designs 5 to 10% larger, to make them less dense. Because I make bags, I usually get the largest size they offer. When I first got my machine, it seemed like i bought every design I saw. After a while, I tapered off and now just buy designs for specific projects. Unless there's a big sale ;-)