Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Skills challenge at retreat

Skills challenge at retreat

Hello all, hoping you quilters can help me out - I'm looking for ideas for a small activity of a "skills challenge" nature for a retreat. I have a few other activities lined up and I would like to include something of a skills challenge nature.
    Ideas?
    Nothing is too out there to suggest!
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Before I put a skills challenge in place at a retreat, I would really seriously ask myself ......
    ... Might a skills challenge this hurt the feelings of some? cause some to feel inadequate?
    humiliated? embarrassed? intimidated? etc.
    I would fear that it may set the stage for a not so friendly retreat.

Some ideas, but they may not be at all what you are looking for
    ..... definitely not way out there as you hinted!

Real Simple .... give the pieces to make a nine patch and see the variation in finished sizes that result!
    They can then be put together as a quilt.
    Four patches work better, as you can trim them to the smallest size and all will fit together in the end.

Harder .... pick a block and give them what they need to make the block.
    Could even give the pieces with no pattern and see the different blocks that result.
    Or the different placement of fabrics for the same block.

Could time people on doing specific skills?

How about a team effort .... so that no one person is singled out?
    Everyone in each team has to do one of the things.
    They don't know what is coming up, so while they can pick and choose as it is assigned,
    the best for each person cannot be planned.
    Some laughs can be had in the end. Though again, I fear there could be hurt feelings.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Power Poster
    ​Do you mean a hand piecing activity like hexagons? We did a quiz once that tested our knowledge of quilt patterns and won a fat quarter.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I go to retreat I find too many games and activities a distraction--we have discounts to several LQS, so there are visits to shop and one retreat participant has a relative that will open her shop up after hours for a post dinner trip. Plus we have a massage therapist there we can choose to pay for a massage--Big Hit! And since we go to a camp, there is a chance to take a walk, etc. Guess my point is that when I'm sewing I want to be working on my own projects. Once we each did a maple leaf block (materials provided) and the organizer then made it into a quilt for charity from us all.
    I do like when a participant gives a very short (5-10 min) update on a tool or method.

I pick up that you are really excited about doing a skills challenge and must have some idea in mind but are open to suggestions from others. I am not a particularly competitive person so would feel intimidated. However I do like learning something new or new way or doing an old thing. Perhaps if we knew what you had in mind that would open up more suggestions as to skills challenge.

Hmmm. I donít feel very ďskilledĒ in techniques, nor am I particularly fast at making blocks. So I would feel intimidated about participating. Iíve never been to a quilting retreat, but I know from classes that Iím easily distracted by all the friendly chatter and sometimes feel ďall thumbsĒ if being watched. So maybe make a skills challenge optional?

A simple paper piecing project would be fun. It's easy to learn how to paper piece once you see it in person. It's not your responsibility to cater to those that feel it is out of their comfort zone. Those that do want to try will learn how to do it or learn they don't like it. A retreat is more for fellowship to most that go not leave me alone I'm sewing.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 02-11-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

A pincushion would be fun for all to make. It could be a skill challenge on color. Using a table of scrap fabrics, pick your favorite colors and make a scrappy block...strip piece, or paper piece or easy 4 patch block. (quilter's choice for style of pincushion...round or square, etc. (stuffing could be provided )

Blog Entries
    How about a cute zippered pouch. There are some who are timid of sewing with zippers, including myself. There are usually a few free patterns on the Noodlehead website as well as others.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

How about a variation on what was suggested above. A table of true scraps and the challenge is to make a 12.5 block that uses (Blank) number of fabrics or (blank) number of pieces.. End result, a donation quilt of many colors and different blocks. A variation would be the colors are all monochromatic and one contrasting color.

Honestly, personally I would avoid this kind of activity at a retreat because I come ready to work on my own projects. I would move this kind of skill challenge to a guild activity that could be completed over a month or two. Each guild and retreat has a "personality" so, honor your guild's personality and have a wonderful time with all your quilty friends.
    Last edited by WMUTeach; 02-12-2019 at 04:11 AM.

I went to my first retreat some years ago and it was very dry, low humor. No one talked to each other much and it was like everyone was in their own sewing private space. I wanted to see what everyone was sewing and ask questions but I got the impression no one wanted to be bothered. It took a long time before going to another one but what a difference. The ladies and a couple of men were were there and we had a blast. People were laughing and talking. We could roam around the room and see all the projects and no one gave me the don't bother me look. Now that is the type of retreat worth going to.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Senior Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    I'm going to a quilt retreat early in March. There are 24 of us. It's a regular retreat center. Each has their own room.
    We have done it for 3 years. I don't do the walks, trips to the quilt shop, games, etc. We have 12 in each big room and I've come to like the ladies and look forward to seeing them. I just set up my stuff and sew for 3 days. Some gad about, cruise around to see what everyone is doing. Walk around talking. I just sit and sew. Try to really take advantage of not cleaning, cooking, or running around. I'm happy to just sit and sew. I precut my project. I come ready. Do what you want to achieve at your retreat. I don't do group projects. Although one time we made each other name badges before we got there. That was cute. I used a leftover crazy quilt block, cut down. Added some stuff and her name. Sometimes we bring a fat quarter to trade. One of the ladies gave a tutorial on folding and sewing a square so it was 3D and looked like a bow. A few times after that I saw several people had made whole quilts out of the bow squares. Utube it to see a video. Let me see if I can find the link.

Senior Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    I found it. http://mylifeisastitch.blogspot.com/...-obsessed.html
    It's made from a 5" square , folded and hand sewn. Everyone seemed to like it. They were still talking about it the next retreat.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I went to my first retreat some years ago and it was very dry, low humor. No one talked to each other much and it was like everyone was in their own sewing private space. I wanted to see what everyone was sewing and ask questions but I got the impression no one wanted to be bothered. It took a long time before going to another one but what a difference. The ladies and a couple of men were were there and we had a blast. People were laughing and talking. We could roam around the room and see all the projects and no one gave me the don't bother me look. Now that is the type of retreat worth going to.
    My guild retreat sounds like the one you described above. Lots of conversations, viewing of other's projects, good food and many finished quilts! Lots of affirmations and encouragement! I love that when I run into a snag or problem, there is someone there to help me figure it out. A retreat or two ago, I got to "pay it back" by helping a newbie quilter figure out how to use some print fabric in fussy cut blocks for a quilt for her husband. She was proud of the finish and I got to give back just a tiny bit of all the help I have received at our retreats.

Thanks for the input, and maybe "skills" challenge wasn't the right title!
    This is the second annual retreat with most of the same sewers coming back. The individuals vary in their interactions during sewing times - some wander and look, some sit and sew, other pair up with a friend, but all are very friendly and sociable. In the evening we had a couple games, mostly to help all of us get to know each other if we weren't acquainted already. It was a very successful retreat with everyone wanting a repeat this year.
    The first time our activities were 1- we had a pen/paper type of activity and 2 - a 2 1/2 inch strip activity.
    I've been nominated to organize the games this go round and due to popular requests, the strip activity will be repeated. I have a pen/paper type of activity planned and had thought a small sewing based activity would be fun. I didn't want anything that would take more than a few minutes, recognizing most if not all of us are there to sew!

What I think we'll do is an activity based on a log cabin that I've brainstormed with a friend - not overly time consuming, not overly competitive and winner can choose to take the finished squares or donate to a group that does charity quilts. Thoughts?
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Blog Entries

Skills

One activity we did in our group- everyone named their favorite quilting tool and why. And then they named a Quilting product they had bought that was useless or that they never used.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsWiggs View Post
    One activity we did in our group- everyone named their favorite quilting tool and why. And then they named a Quilting product they had bought that was useless or that they never used.
    That's a cool idea!!! I think I'll include this one!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    When I go to retreat I find too many games and activities a distraction--we have discounts to several LQS, so there are visits to shop and one retreat participant has a relative that will open her shop up after hours for a post dinner trip. Plus we have a massage therapist there we can choose to pay for a massage--Big Hit! And since we go to a camp, there is a chance to take a walk, etc. Guess my point is that when I'm sewing I want to be working on my own projects. Once we each did a maple leaf block (materials provided) and the organizer then made it into a quilt for charity from us all.
    I do like when a participant gives a very short (5-10 min) update on a tool or method.
    My thoughts exactly! Unless you have a group requesting a skills challenge. I wouldn't be interested it in myself. and ditto on " However I do like learning something new or new way or doing an old thing"
    Last edited by love to sew; Yesterday at 07:15 PM.