Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Smelly fabric >

Smelly fabric

Smelly fabric

Old 06-06-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Why can't it be washed. thats what I have done on purchased ebay fabrics that have smelled, one was so bad that I complained and seller sent additional fabric
Since the fabric is in strips and small pieces it would ravel in the washer and I would lose the integrity of the pieces. It would be like washing a jelly roll before you used it. You would no longer have consistently sized strips because of the ravels. If it was yardage I would try washing it.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the fresh air idea. There is noting that can freshen up fabric like a clothes line.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:23 AM

I have washed precuts with no problem. I put them in the sink with a tiny bit of detergent, swish them around, rinse well and roll them up in a towel to remove excess water. Then lay out to dry.

But for this fabric I would try putting it in a plastic garbage bag, set it on a flat surface and place an open box of baking soda inside, then close it up. Check it the next day. If the smell is not all gone, leave for another day or so. If that doesn't work, then I would do the hand washing.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by RobynRaye View Post
I have had pretty good luck getting musty/odd smells out using bounce dryer sheets. just put fabric in something you can close up like a box, a plastic tote, or even an old pillow case or sheet.
That is what I do. You can layer several dryer sheets in with the fabric. Noting comment above, I would not use a "box" (cardboard). The acid/chemicals in it are not a friend to fabric.

I use a clear tote with the 2 hinged, folding and overlapping lids. My husband drills 2 holes in the right and left sides in the center for air flow - nothing fancy...something you could stick the tip of your pinkie finger in. Plastic "outgasses" - releases fumes. I prefer it as protection from water damage. This is an issue for me in my 1948 basement work room. The fabric needs air movement to prevent mold/musty etc.

I put my dryer sheets (generic-lavender scent) single folded in tissue paper (front in back) just in case it would stain something - although it never has. I am doing this with vintage linens, so perhaps I am being overly cautious.

Last edited by Johanna Fritz; 06-06-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:40 AM

Since you don't want to wash it how about spraying with some Febreze?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

I had this problem with an old featherweight case. Tried so many things -- sunlight, Febreze, soap bars, dryer sheets -- nothing really worked, and I actually found the artificial scents added by the soap and dryer sheets made the smell every worse for my nose (artificial scent layered on top of musty smell). Then I tried charcoal. In my case, it was in the form of Dr. Scholl's shoe inserts with charcoal. After being sealed up in the case for 2 weeks, there was no more odor! I now keep one in the case at all times with the machine.

You can look on Amazon for the Dr. Scholl's in bulk. There is also a type of rock that absorbs odors and is recharged by placing in sunlight. If I can find it on Amazon, I will post a link. Meanwhile, this form of charcoal looks useable for your purposes: http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Moso-Natu...dp/B0099K6OVQ/ . The trick is that you need to keep these things in a confined area with the fabric in order to absorb the odors. I would use plastic totes. Allow at least 2 weeks for this.

My understanding is that soft plastic outgasses, but hard plastic does not, so I would not bother to drill holes in the plastic totes.

Edit: You really need the above only for the pieces that cannot be washed. If you have yardage that is washable, I have found this litter box powder to be absolutely remarkable as a washing machine additive for removing odors:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TSO20W/
I just add a heaping teaspoonful in with the laundry detergent for my small front-loading washing machine (probably need more like a heaping tablespoon for a large machine that uses more water).

Last edited by Prism99; 06-06-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:34 AM

how about washing it in lingerie bags?
Old 06-08-2014, 01:39 AM

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I had tried Fabreeze before I posted the question and it wasn't taking the smell out. I don't know why I didn't think of the vinegar because I use white vinegar so much for cleaning and washing. It hadn't occurred to me to just soak the fabric so it didn't fray. A friend had suggested dryer sheets but I didn't have any on hand. The odor eater shoe inserts is a great idea. I've put that in my resources for future use. I hung the strips outside for a couple of days and that did the trick.

I'm so glad I was able to save the fabric. Even though I don't know the person who cut and sewed the pieces she is a fellow quilter and I wanted to honor her efforts by completing something she started. I so appreciate all the suggestions posted here and hope others have gained something from it too. This board and the people who are on here are the greatest!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 AM

I either use vinegar or ammonia (NOT TOGETHER). Soak for an hour or so and usually removes any odors.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Thank you for posting this issue...I have learned something today. I have bookmarked this for future reference if needed. This QB is the greatest!!!!