Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Snowball blocks and sashing

Blog Entries

Snowball blocks and sashing

Went to a class yesterday and I'm finding the instructions uneasy to follow. 12" snowball block with 1" sashing between. I've been told not to cut the 1" sashing stripes into 12" lengths before joining to block. Just leave about 1/2" laying over the length each end. Join the blocks but don't cut off the overhangs.

Sorry my patchwork skills are telling me to cut stripes into 12" stripes same as size of block and ensure all ends line up before joining each block together.

please help is my way then safest to ensure the blocks are kept square and lining together?
    Finished is better than a UFO

If you were told to do it that way it would seem that will be part of the teaching technique in the next class. why don't you do what was asked & see what she teaches?

If I were taking the class, I would do as the teacher instructed. I might learn something new. However, If my quilt blocks did not finish up lined up nicely, I would probably take the quilt apart later and cut my sashings to fit the blocks, then sew them back together before quilting it.

It sounds like she is teaching strip piecing. Another advantage is that not everyone has perfect seams and cutting the strips may not fit

Maybe she is teaching a method where you won't need cornerstones on the across strips between the rows. Just my guess. Try it her way and see how it turns out. There is more than one way to get the results you need. If you don't like it take apart and redo, then you will only spend more time and still be able to use your fabrics.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Are the blocks 12" finished or 12" unfinished?? If there are new quilters in the class, their blocks might just be little larger so they would need the extra sashing. Just try to follow her direction and ask a question before or after the class.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice. I've done one row her way and the snowballs are right screwed.going to undo and try again. I hate, loath detest and see no reAson to do it .

Blog Entries
    Did she ever give a reason or explain it? Would be intereted to know! Sounds difficult to me also
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    No reason just her way.
    I now have a load of undoing which I never do unless desperate. Going out for the day, now I'm procrastinating.
    my avatar is quilt as you go with sashing so I know how to do it. Ijustcant seea reason why have a half inch flap at each end when you have just squared the blocks to 12 inch.
    Last edited by DOTTYMO; 05-13-2015 at 09:35 PM.

I can's see a reason for it either if the class is still ongoing you might want to ask her what the reason is?

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    when you have just squared the blocks to 12 inch.
    If you squared your blocks, that is the size you should cut your strips. That is the way I was taught to make sure they are all going to line up when you sew the rows together. Never have seen E. Burns leave extra, just saying.

Blog Entries
    I make the sashing strip a little longer and trim it after sewing. More exact that way.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Are the blocks 12" finished or 12" unfinished?? If there are new quilters in the class, their blocks might just be little larger so they would need the extra sashing. Just try to follow her direction and ask a question before or after the class.
    I would square up my 12" blocks before I sashed them, so I would expect the sashing to be the same as my blocks. Now I know Jenny Doan uses a strip technique where you join all the blocks to the sashing and then trim them even. That would save time, especially if you were using precut strips for your sashing. Then you could cornerstone them the same way. Just a thought.