Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SO BUMMED :( >

SO BUMMED :(

SO BUMMED :(

Old 10-18-2011, 07:40 AM

Don't give up!!!!! It does take a while to build up your coordination, just keep trying. You probably don't have enough pins in it. They should be about every three inches.

I find it much esier to puddle your quilt than to roll it, the rol gets too heavy, and bothers my shoulders.

There is a fab. sight to learn about machine quilting: Daystyledesigns.com. She has great suggestions. Her best suggestion is that you practice. It is the best quilting advice.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 AM

Call your local quilt shops and see who rents a long arm machine to use. I gave up trying to do such big things on my machine. It just led to the same frustration you have and it's worth it to me to spend $15 an hour to do it at the shop on their machine. I've never taken more than 3 hours and all I have to do is bind it.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 AM

I quilted my first ever quilt on my home sewing machine. I found that if I could somehow keep the quilt from dragging, it would be easier, so I set up my machine in the living room and pulled the dining room table and other tables I could find and surrounded my sewing table with them. I spread out the quilt as much as possible to keep it from being pulled to the floor. That REALLY helped me! Good Luck
Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 AM

Don't forget to set you stitch length a little longer. You have a lot of layers to go through. It helps prevent puckers especially if you don't have a walking foot.............
Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 AM

You did not say if you were doing fmq or sid. I see your machine in the background and if it is flush with the cabinet that is a good start. Perhaps if you had a table behind your machine for the bulk of the quilt to rest on that would help...it doesn't have to be a permanent installation. An inexpensive folding table would do.
Also the small harp can be a problem. I bought a $600 Brother straight stitch just for this as it has a larger harp. I only use it for quilting larger pieces. That might not be an option for now but keep it in mind. A harp even only 2" longer makes a big difference on large quilts.
If you are fmq then invest in a supreme slider. It makes a huge difference and also find some latex palm gloves in the gardening department. It helps you "grab" the sandwich with out cramping out your hands. Lastly practice practice practice. You said this was your first try at quilting. It takes several quilts to be comfortable and that is true no matter what method you use from by hand to long arm you will have to learn a skill. So to sum it up, give your self room....table, reduce drag...flush bed, supreme slider, grippy gloves, time...to learn the skill. Most importantly is to remember to take it easy on yourself. You will make mistakes...we all do. If the back has pinchies and pokies so what. Whomever puts this quit on their bed will treasure the warmth it offers. As for bedding in general remember this...the user will lay down in a dark room with their eyes closed and prepare to become unconsciousus, in that instance warmth is much more important than a blue ribbon.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 AM

First of all don't give up, this gets better.....
May I suggest first of all, put this quilt aside for now. Make a small baby quilt, a quick and simple, and learn on it....will be some much easier to learn on....Yes, you start in the middle, and you do need to use some kind of gloves (even clean garden gloves work) practice, practice....maybe try some FMQ (free motion quilting) go to Youtube watch every video you can find on machine quilting.... There is a class being offered now on Crafty for this subject. I believe it is 10 lessons for $25-30, this may be a good idea for you also.....
IMHO you are starting TOO BIG ...............
Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 AM

You have gotten lots of good advice here. I hope you don't give up. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:01 AM

I agree that it's very hard to stitch in the ditch on a queen-size quilt. BUT it IS possible. Try using spray adhesive. It works much better than pins when you're using a home machine to quilt. And rolling the quilt makes it harder to move the quilt than just smushing it. The roll acts like a stiff log, and it goes where IT wants to go rather than where you want it to go.

Hang it there!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Your quilt is lovely but you should consider finding a long armer to do the job.i did what you are doing on 3 twin sized quilts and than asked around.You do not have to buy an expensive long arm machine and many long armers are on this board who take customers by mail.RoseMaynes is one Carisma is another.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pat75
Your quilt is lovely but you should consider finding a long armer to do the job.i did what you are doing on 3 twin sized quilts and than asked around.You do not have to buy an expensive long arm machine and many long armers are on this board who take customers by mail.RoseMaynes is one Carisma is another.
hperttula123 also does wonderful quilting for others