Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So do bricks have to hit me in the head?????? >

So do bricks have to hit me in the head??????

So do bricks have to hit me in the head??????

Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 AM

for those blocks that are too small can you wet some of them and them stretch to size? I have even stretch some of the inside pieces of log cabin quilts. you might be surprised how much you can stretch a block. Sharon Schamber has a u-tube video on how to stretch a block.

I hate it when this happens ;(.

Hugs, Gail
Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM

Back to being perfect....I keep telling people that I'm perfect, but I can't find anyone who believes me. So sad.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:22 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Originally Posted by ktbb
Instead of re-sewing, why not square each of the blocks off to the same size, but take the extra off of one or two sides instead of evenly around the block...this would make your center square slightly off center and add movement to the quilt. You could even to the squaring up on an angle to get the lines angled instead of perpendicular to the sides....just alternatives.

The first part sounds GREAT!!! Think I will try, but I am not understanding the second part??
:cry:
Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 AM

The first part sounds GREAT!!! Think I will try, but I am not understanding the second part??
:cry:[/quote]

Well, first, let me state that I forgot you were planning to do the D9P and I was thinking straight 9 patch. if you cut them off center I'm not sure how the disappearing part would work except you would have a lot of patches of different sizes and it wouldn't look the same as a D9P sewn and cut the regular way.

That being said, if you want to stick with regular 9P - the angling I was talking about is this....in trimming a 9P we/I usually line one of the lines on my ruler with a seam on the block and trim so each cut edge is parallel to one of the seams. to make it wonky - you forget making the edge parallel to a seam, but instead, twist the ruler a bit so that you cut a small triangle of fabric off of each corner. The resulting square is smaller than the original, but it's a fun look. They have special rulers out there now to get this effect, but I just use my square and twist it. You can play with some paper to see how to do it without messing up any fabric. Sorry I don't have any photos to show you. I haven't done this with a 9P but have done it with other pieces squares. To practice, cut a 9 inch square of paper and mark in it the seams that you would make in a patch...Now, twist your square ruler a little so that the "0" corner touches the side of the block (it will be about one inch below the corner of the square) AND the two 8 inch marks on the sides of the ruler touch the edge of the drawn block. You should see small triangles of "fabric" outside the ruler on the two sides. These triangles can be cut off, or, if you prefer, mark a new line with a different color pen so you can see the result before you actually cut. Now that you've marked or cut off those small triangles, turn the paper block around so you can cut the two remaining sides and do the same thing with the "0" corner and 8 inch marks.....does this make sense?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Doggie
Originally Posted by clem55
LOL forget it! I'm 71 and making more mistakes now than I ever did!
Oh THANKS Carol!! What a bearer of BAD NEWS you are!!

:-P :-P

Maybe we need to hit 75???? :?
It gets no better at 83 but then they call it "senility"
Old 07-14-2010, 03:18 AM

I mess up alot lol..and i will be 50.......so, your not by yourself!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:56 AM

well I must be a nobody because nobody's perfect, (just kidding)I am 63 and would forget my head if it wasn't attached to my neck.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:04 AM

I'm 64 and I don't see perfect in the future for me. A lady once told me when she got to be perfect at making a quilt it was time to quit.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:12 AM

I'm 78 and that word is not in my dictionary. I forget what you said that word was.
Dodee
Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 AM

Would any of us still be quilting if they all had to be perfect? It's the mistakes that adds character to a quilt!