Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So Excited >

So Excited

So Excited

Old 09-06-2019, 04:48 PM

oh, thanks for the reminder to let my credit card co know I'll be traveling--especially since I didn't charge the plane tickets on it! comfy shoes--Always! Good idea with bringing a tote bag too, since I won't be taking any classes--you often get a freebie tote in long arm classes.

the post about heavy rain and the flooding streets made me wonder---is the end of Oct out of hurricane season down there?
Old 09-06-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I remember there was an Armenian grocery store downtown that have some remarkable pastries and deli. Maybe someone here will know the name, it was only a few blocks from the Show.
The Phoenicia. It's sort of a gourmet deli, and you can make your own salads to go. https://www.phoeniciafoods.com/locat...wntown-market/

Originally Posted by The Quilted Cottage View Post
I will be staying at the Hilton. I booked really early so was able to get a room. From what I’ve read, it’s right next to the convention center so I won’t need a car.
Actually, the Hilton has a skybridge, so you can walk directly from your hotel into the convention center. The new Marriott also has a skybridge.

Originally Posted by The Quilted Cottage View Post
Maybe those of us attending could meet up one evening for dinner? I don’t know what’s around the convention center but I’ve heard there are lots of good places to eat.
I can personally recommend The Grotto, McCormick & Schmicks, and my personal favorite, Mia Bella Trattoria, which is so awesome we usually go more than once while in Houston. They're great for any meal; they have delicious brunches and dinners. Last time Cindi and I were in Houston, we were having lunch at The Grotto and realized that Yoko Saito and her assisstant were also there. We managed to flag down the waitress in time and paid for their meals, that was so much fun!!

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post

the post about heavy rain and the flooding streets made me wonder---is the end of Oct out of hurricane season down there?
We've been there 4-5 times (can't remember ) and have never had any problem with flooding or hurricanes. I'm from Washington State, I go with my friend Cindi who came first from Michigan and now Ohio, and it was delightfully warm for both of us, albeit a bit humid. We bring shorts, tanks, a sweater for evenings, and comfy walking shoes. And a backpack, which is a lot more comfortable to carry than a shoulder bag.

Last edited by Peckish; 09-06-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:11 PM

Quilt Fest comes right at the end of hurricane season. I believe it ends mid-Nov, but I've been going to Quilt Fest for 20+ years and have never seen a hurricane or any heavy rains during Quilt Fest. The weather can be iffy. Sometimes hot, sometimes cold. But you probably won't be out in it enough for it to matter especially if you stay downtown.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:43 AM

Sorry, I don't have any advice, but I have a request for you:

Please let us know what your experience was like when you get back from the show. What was your favorite part? Did you enjoy the lecture and your class? What quilty treasures did you bring back if any. I hope you have a grand time enjoying your birthday present.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:38 AM

Vicarious opportunity! Do a blog so we can all enjoy the show! Pictures, video, restaurant adventures!