Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So exciting~ >

So exciting~

So exciting~

Old 05-18-2012, 05:54 AM

Here in Salem, Oregon, the Walmart stores must be managed by men, because the fabric section is absolutely horrid. Poor quality fabric, almost no selection, its really sad as this is the capital of Oregon! Joann's coupons make it very difficult to buy anything on a discount, and that's after a long wait in a cutting line. I've had to leave my selections on the counter several times because it took too long to get through the cutting line and the checkout line was almost as bad. I either go to one of the LQS's or to Fabric Depot in Portland (about an hour away) to get really good fabric and good service.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:15 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Our one walmart (Yes we have 2-one at one end and the other at the other end of the city!) really has geared up in the fabric department. WOHOOOOOOOOOOOO is all I have to say !!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:17 AM

Our Walmart in Midland never lost their fabric and they still haven't remodled the store. The one in Cheboygan remodled, took out the bolts of fabric and restocked with precuts and kits. They have brought back fabric by the bolt last year and have continually expanded and organized their stock. There is only one other place to buy fabric in town, LQS and another 30 miles away. The area needed another source and it's nice to have it there. You have to watch, like anywhere the quality of the fabric.
Give them time, make suggestions to management about organization, etc. we do have a voice.
Hobby Lobby has awesome fabric also. Different from what Joanns and walmart carry. Love that store.
As to Walmart forcing out the LQS, some people don't get to shop at them and can only got to Walmart, etc., it gives them an option. ( i can buy fabric in Walmart and it gets hidden in the groceries..... See where i'm going? He he).
Old 05-18-2012, 06:32 AM

DebbE - I don't understand why they cut that So. Commercial one so bad, with Joann's having closed their store I would think it would be open game for them. I did find a clear foot for my Brother SE machine there for $5, where the W/M in Dallas (which is closer to me) was selling it for $8.37. I noticed online a lot of the stuff is marked "prices vary in stores" which if they are a chain, doesn't make sense to me. The one on Lancaster has a huge fabric dept now - but that is a long way from both of us. At least I have the Dallas one which is pretty good now.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:41 AM

Our walmart does not stock fabric, I have bought fabric from a Walmart out of town though and it was actually decent stuff. I made a couple of cute dresses out of it.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:01 AM

The lady at our local WalMart told me that there had been such an uproar from quilters/sewers about dropping fabric that they were going to bring it back. She said that as the stores remodel (it's supposed to be finished in Sept. here) the fabric department will be back--complete with cutting tables and such! Yea! I don't like the precuts. The squares and the jelly rolls I've tried from there have been cut wonky and I end up having to redo them. Why bother with that? I might as well do it right the first time for myself!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Hi Pat,

I was in the North Lakeland Walmart yesterday. Be very cautious with those quilting fabrics. The free standing bin in the aisle had a lot of cheap, low thread count fabrics. I would check the 'hand' of the fabric before having it cut. The same with the last row of fabrics....many of the mini prints in that section were poly cotton bolts mixed in with 100% cotton. Again, I won't buy anything there unless I'm happy with the hand of the fabric.
Have you been there when you can't find an associate to cut for you? Once, another lady and I rang the bell countless times, walked around the large area and had measured our fabrics and had them ready to cut when someone finally showed up. Last time I had just picked up a prescrition so I used my cell phone to call the pharmacy and tell them they had customers waiting in fabric. they paged someone and I still waited...and waited......and waited....
Old 05-18-2012, 01:23 PM

Unhappy

Be careful in choosing fabric from Wal-Mart. Many of theirs are full of sizing and fall apart or becomes thin and flimsy after washing.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:21 PM

Our Biloxi Walmart got their fabric back in April when they move to a bigger store. Yes, their prices are better than Joannes.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:48 PM

I will be sure the check the quality before I buy!! I wasn't able to get thru the aisles the other day..Unfortunately I had a bad health day, and haven't been back yet. I am careful when buying fabric anywhere. I have found that none of the chain stores have ALL nice stuff. I really miss the Patchwork Pig.
If you are there early or late in the day, I have found that it is hard to get someone to cut...I just make a total pain in the A$% of myself until someone gets there. Usually the nicest woman, Earline (sp?) is there when I go tho..I try to shop when most people are at work or school, since I can manuever the electric cart easier.I will remember the prescription phone call idea tho!!
Originally Posted by GlitzyMe View Post
Hi Pat,

I was in the North Lakeland Walmart yesterday. Be very cautious with those quilting fabrics. The free standing bin in the aisle had a lot of cheap, low thread count fabrics. I would check the 'hand' of the fabric before having it cut. The same with the last row of fabrics....many of the mini prints in that section were poly cotton bolts mixed in with 100% cotton. Again, I won't buy anything there unless I'm happy with the hand of the fabric.
Have you been there when you can't find an associate to cut for you? Once, another lady and I rang the bell countless times, walked around the large area and had measured our fabrics and had them ready to cut when someone finally showed up. Last time I had just picked up a prescrition so I used my cell phone to call the pharmacy and tell them they had customers waiting in fabric. they paged someone and I still waited...and waited......and waited....