Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................ >

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

Old 07-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Joann's is my main source for fabric in our town, although there is a quilt shop that sells mostly Moda, which I love, but can't always afford so I go to Joann's. I usually have a great experience in the store and I like the coupons. I've gotten several expensive items with my coupons for great prices. For example, my son gave me a gift card for Christmas last year. I wanted a floor Ott lamp so I waited until they had them for 50% off. I used my gift card and a coupon and got my light for around $20 :) I recently had a similar fabric experience like the original lady that posted this. I wanted what was left on the bolt. When she measured it it was shy of the nearest yard by 2 1/2". She rounded it up to the next yard and charged me for yardage I didn't get. I should have said something but she wasn't the most pleasant person and acted like I was bothering her. Maybe she was just having a bad day but I didn't want to make it worse by complaining about 2 1/2". As it was I was getting 60% off so sometimes you just have to pick your battles and sometimes you just need to let it go.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Oh, dear, what a crock. No, you weren't out of order... SHE was. Given the way business is going in this country, I don't look for things to get any better. Small businesses are being forced to cut back personnel (and any other expenses they can), not knowing what's coming down the pike. So we probably can't look for the service at JoAnn's to get any better in the immediate future. It's getting almost comical to hear the horror stories from visits to JoAnn's. I have one, myself. Just for the devilment of it, I think I'd have got her to cut it off at 3/4 or 7/8 of a yard, and be left with just a few inches of fabric, not even enough left over for an eighth. <G> The ladies behind you would have been clapping and cheering. Don't worry about it - the ladies behind you probably have their very own horror stories.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:01 PM

I'm thinking it has more to do with how businesses of all kinds are being squeezed to death. It's everywhere - in layoffs, in understaffed offices and service centers, in the rude and sometimes surly behavior of clerks or repair people... it seems to be rampant everywhere you look. People are nervous - worried about losing their jobs and being able to cover their business expenses. Frankly, there may have been graft and dishonesty on the part of the managers, but now I think it's fear. Nobody knows quite how the impending taxes are going to affect them, but I suspect we will see a lot of businesses going out of business in the next year or so, including some not-so-small ones, and we all lose when that happens.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Just have to remember, these ladies would probably LOVE help... but the then the bonuses wouldn't be as large for those at the top :roll:

Sad with all the people out of work , also
you are so right. When I worked retail they were always cutting hours of the employees.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:41 PM

Since you said you shop online. I'm trying to get the Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt Book and can't find it online at JoAnn's. I'm really wanting to use my 50% off coupon but can't seem to find this book online. Any tips you can give me I would so appreciate it. Do certain stores have different books than others? I called the closest JoAnn's and the gal said they did not have it. Maybe I'm out on both counts.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:38 PM

I had never been to a Joann's so my friend took me for the first time. The store is about an hour away. Bad idea, they had the coupons at the front of the store so I had to have one. They were busy and the employees were not all that nice. I know what it's like because I used to work at a Ames store when they were around but I was always nice to the customers. When the lady ask me how much fabric I wanted in a very mean voice I said nothing until she looked at me when I said, were you talking to me with that mouth. Her face got really red and she said she was sorry. I told her that was ok and to take one customer at a time and not let anyone upset her. Then she started to cry which made me cry then everyone felt bad and boy did the mood change. I told her to have a great day and she said "God bless you." I ended up spending over $100.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Oh, I like that idea. Wish my Joann's would let you take a number and not stand in line!

Originally Posted by amma
At the 2 JoAnn's I shop at, you grab a number half way through your shopping LMBO other wise there is a good 30 minute way on sale days... they will even call your number over the PA and listen for you to yell "coming" LOL They are always short staffed at the cutting counter...
I haven't ever had them charge me for more than they cut...I would have raised a fuss as that is NOT right :x
Old 07-12-2010, 05:09 PM

I have not had a great experience at Joann's either. Now at Hancocks, I have had very pleasant experience. Even though the people are tired and work hard, they still find time to be pleasant and helpful!So that is where I usually shop of the two stores
Old 07-12-2010, 05:25 PM

Where are the two stores in Spfd, IL? I have only found one, its a small one by the shopko. I would like to find the other one, as I am a 1/2 red tag junkie. I like to shop as many of the stores as possible.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Gail sorry you had such a bad experience. It never ceases to amaze me how with the economy the way it is that a store thinks it is ok to give their customers this kind of hard time. I hear it all the time about JoAnne's. Sad that they are getting such a bad rap but they are creating it themselves. Sad because they have such a great choice of items and when they do have their weekly coupons you can save a lot of money.