Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................ >

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 PM

My Joann's in Temecula, CA is a superstore, and they too have started cutting corners. Fewer staff, but so far always pleasant, but my pet peeve there is their restrooms. Twice in the past 6 months, there have been no toilet seat covers, and just last week, they had them, but the toilets were filthy, and there was paper on the floor. If you're lucky, they have a bottle of softsoap at the sinks, because they no longer fill their soap dispensers on the walls. Sometimes there is no soap at all. Seems that would be some kind of code violation??
Old 07-12-2010, 06:50 PM

It seems that Joann's is getting worse in every state - unfortunately in Chicago we don't have to many fabric stores anymore - Joann's is the biggest. I have found myself ordering from other stores online instead of going to Joann's.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:07 PM

I went again today and had a great time. Once again, my friend and I went and chatted across the store, talked to other customers, passed around extra coupons that we had and enjoyed visiting with the other customers.

I'm noticing more and more - especially at big box stores (target, walmart) that it's the CUSTOMERS that are creating havoc. Angry because other people are in line in front of them, angry because they are not the only one to receive attention, angry because the world doesn't revolve around their schedule.

Huffing and puffing and complaining about the wait. (Just today, SIX people got in line and out of line behind us at walmart -- and we didn't have much stuff in our cart). Snapping at the girls at the cutting counter because the girls took the time to straighten the edge of a fabric before cutting the requested yardage (and thereby wasting time)

My friend and I went to Crafts2000, JoAnn's, Walmart, Sam's, and Staples today. We had a great time, got everything on both of our lists and enjoyed the day.

Sometimes I'm in a hurry, and I want to dash in and get one thing -- other times *I'm* the girl at the cutting counter with 20 different bolts to cut. I think other people forget that every once in a while, they are the needy ones...
Old 07-12-2010, 07:18 PM

I shop at the Joann's in Poway and Escondido, and I have never been treated badly or waited too long, except maybe over the July 4th weekend when they had a hugh sale, but I expected it, wasn't in a hurry myself, so waiting to get my fabric cut wasn't a problem. I struck up a conversation with a couple of ladies waiting and before I knew it, my number was being called. At least they have a number system! Only once when I had a question, did the girl who was cutting my fabric tell me she wasn't a quilter, but said if I waited until another lady was free, I could ask her. Further, I had a large order for a couple of fabrics which they didn't have enough of, and the manager (Jean, I think) at the Escondido store couldn't have been more helpful, spent all the time calling the warehouse and got the fabric sent. She then saw how long the line was to pay, so she took me to another register to ring me up herself. I hear all these horror stories, and think how lucky I am to be able to shop at those two stores. I hope it continues!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 PM

The Jo Anns I use to go to in Tyler closed & is now a kidney doctor office.but I liked it. Hancocks is about the same unless Dorothy is cutting. She is fast. Some are slower than christmas. There is one checker that is so slow you can see the dead lice falling off her.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 PM

Gail, that is sad and downright terrible!

Here is a trick that even clerks at Joanns have told me...take your bolt to be cut and if you have an idea how much is on there, by the number of folds, tell them you want 8 yds, then when they get to that last 38 inches or whatever they are supposed to ask you if you would like that too at 50% off.

Ok, I cannot tell how much is on a bolt by the number of folds, but apparently some people can.

I'm going to guess that the clerk that waited on you was new and had no idea how to figure out what to charge for less than a yd. But I would report them to the manager.

bad business.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
Gail, that is sad and downright terrible!

Here is a trick that even clerks at Joanns have told me...take your bolt to be cut and if you have an idea how much is on there, by the number of folds, tell them you want 8 yds, then when they get to that last 38 inches or whatever they are supposed to ask you if you would like that too at 50% off.

Ok, I cannot tell how much is on a bolt by the number of folds, but apparently some people can.

I'm going to guess that the clerk that waited on you was new and had no idea how to figure out what to charge for less than a yd. But I would report them to the manager.

bad business.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Joann's will offer the end of bolt to you at half price. I usually take it, especially if I like the fabric allot, I know I can use it for applique or scrap/fq friendly quilts. My joann's usually has a couple employees floating around, putting back bolts, etc-a young boy working at our Poway shop always asks if I am finding everything I want. They can tell you how to count the folds to estimate how much is left-they have done it for me several times (saves waiting in line to cut and finding out there isn't enough-so you'd have to go back and start over). I should ask them to show me how to do it!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:29 PM

i dont have a problem when i go to jo anns they usually have extra help on big sale days , yes i have had to wait in line sometimes but never for a long time i i have never been shorted on my material as far as price goes , i usually stand there and watch as it is being cut , but if it ever happens to me i would sure say something!!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 PM

i worked in retail for 20+ years i was taught when i first started out at the ripe young age of 18 now 45 that in retail the customer is not a bother the customer is the reason we are there without the customers we wouldnt have jobs. i guess they dont need customers anymore
Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by suesews
My Joann's in Temecula, CA is a superstore, and they too have started cutting corners. Fewer staff, but so far always pleasant, but my pet peeve there is their restrooms. Twice in the past 6 months, there have been no toilet seat covers, and just last week, they had them, but the toilets were filthy, and there was paper on the floor. If you're lucky, they have a bottle of softsoap at the sinks, because they no longer fill their soap dispensers on the walls. Sometimes there is no soap at all. Seems that would be some kind of code violation??
be thankful they have a restroom my large one in canton has nice ones but the small one closer to home says no restroom not allowed to let public use it sorry!