Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................ >

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Power Poster

Big mistake on their part
Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 PM

I have had to use the restroom on occasion at Joann's-it isn't for the public (no signs etc), but they keep a key at the cutting table and you only need to ask. My DH was with me last week during the big sale, and needed to use it while we were waiting in line to get my fabric cut-no problem.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jetnica
I went again today and had a great time. Once again, my friend and I went and chatted across the store, talked to other customers, passed around extra coupons that we had and enjoyed visiting with the other customers.

I'm noticing more and more - especially at big box stores (target, walmart) that it's the CUSTOMERS that are creating havoc. Angry because other people are in line in front of them, angry because they are not the only one to receive attention, angry because the world doesn't revolve around their schedule.

Huffing and puffing and complaining about the wait. (Just today, SIX people got in line and out of line behind us at walmart -- and we didn't have much stuff in our cart). Snapping at the girls at the cutting counter because the girls took the time to straighten the edge of a fabric before cutting the requested yardage (and thereby wasting time)

My friend and I went to Crafts2000, JoAnn's, Walmart, Sam's, and Staples today. We had a great time, got everything on both of our lists and enjoyed the day.

Sometimes I'm in a hurry, and I want to dash in and get one thing -- other times *I'm* the girl at the cutting counter with 20 different bolts to cut. I think other people forget that every once in a while, they are the needy ones...
thank you very much for reminding us. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 AM

Hey Penny, I sent a PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 AM
Administrator

the same thing happens every time somebody starts a thread like this.

one person has a bad experience in one location of a chain operation. she automatically assumes the every location is the same. she posts to vent her dissatisfaction. other individuals who are less than 100% thrilled with their experience(s) in their local chain store will pile on with their own horror stories.

since most people don't have the time or patience to slog through obviously negative topics, we don't hear equally from people who've had good experiences. it's only those who are willing to "go the extra mile" to support truth, accuracy and fair play who try their best to provide some balance.

how many hundreds or thousands of walmarts are there in the world? how many departments, managers and employees within each store? there's no way they can all be perfect. like anything that involves human beings, you'll find a mixture of good and bad. my joann's is a good example of that. i usually walk out satisfied, but not always.

the same can be said of most places we shop nowadays.

anybody looking at this topic during their first visit to our board will likely think we're just a bunch of cranky old broads with nothing better to do than complain, complain, complain. (and to encourage each other to resort to all sorts of bad behavior to get what they want.)

if the pattern holds true to its history, this comment will now be followed by a few dozen more negative comments about joann's in general and my addition in particular.

that's how we roll. :roll: :lol:?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:54 AM

I guess I should be lucky. We have a Joann Etc. and they do a pretty good job. When it gets busy, they pull people off the floor to man the registers or cutting tables. There ARE times when they have a huge sale like the fleece and flannel at 50% that all the employees in the store couldn't handle.

Getting to know the ladies at the cutting table helps. They are all very friendly and helpful when I'm there.

Other than that, I have no complaints. I tend to shop before noon so that might be a factor.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:15 AM

JoAnn's is not my first choice for fabrics. I usually go to a lqs or order online. When threads are 50% off I usually stock up on the better brands. I went the other day to buy sewing machine oil with my coupon - browsed the reduced fabrics when I realized they were an additional 50% off. Left with oil and 5 different fabrics perfect for baby quilts. I have to admit, I prefer the smaller JoAnn's near me (rather than the super store which is the same distance) for quick trips - it is usually not crowded. All of the fabrics had little on the bolts and I bought it all; she reduced the price of everything for the last measurement for each. (anything less than a yard or the last yard) This was a positive experience - which does not happen often. I lucked out at $1.50 and $2.00 a yard or less.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:32 AM

At our JoAnns, if there is a small amount of material left on the bolt they are cutting from, they will give that to you at half price. Some of them will offer, sometimes you have to ask for it. What they do is charge you for half the amount of material, which comes out to half price. It would be worth it to see if other JoAnn stores do that.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:42 AM

The store I worked at in Birminhgam, AL would offer the end of the bolt to sell it instead of making a remnant. It had to be less than a yard and offered if over the amount you were wanting. Ex:you wanted 2 yards and there was 2 1/2 yards on the bolt-the clerk was to ask if you were interested in the 1/2 yard at half price. Only the additional amount is offered at 1/2 price.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 AM
JB

I agree with every one about Joann's. Here in Phoenix they have put other fabric stores out of business and have closed all their stores except 1 which is a ways away from me. Their service it terrible and they are not friendly or helpful. They are under staffed and let you stand in line for 35-45 minutes at least. They also have cut back on their material from what they use to carry. I do not go there unless absolutely have no other choice. My other alternative it go over to Mesa AZ 50 miles away. I go to quilting stores here when they have sales, like Mulqueen Sewing Centers, Sew and Vac, Quilt Z,etc. Also Hobby Lobbie has fabrics also.