Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So now I am curious. Do you use your walking foot for piecing? >

So now I am curious. Do you use your walking foot for piecing?

So now I am curious. Do you use your walking foot for piecing?

Old 10-16-2011, 07:16 AM

I have a Bernina Artista, and use my walking foot ALL the time. Just for kicks, I tried the 1/4" foot. When I started a seam, it was much more difficult to get a clean start, even with a leader. The walking foot is sooo much easier. It just feeds the fabric through so nice and even. No messy edges.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I sometimes use it for piecing. If the pieces to be joined are very long, the walking foot can help keep them even.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
Walkingfeet are big, noisy, slow, clunky, and obscure vision a bit, so I use mine for quilting on my vintage machines only. Though on my Bernina 830 it has dual feed built in so I use that while piecing
Not all walking feet have these problems. Perhaps there's a better one available for your machine? The only time mine has been noisy was when I forgot to engage it properly. It is just as fast as any other foot, and although it is bigger than the other feet I don't find that it obscures my vision at all. And it has markings on it that make it just as helpful as the 1/4 inch foot in maintaining seam size.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by Candace
Walkingfeet are big, noisy, slow, clunky, and obscure vision a bit, so I use mine for quilting on my vintage machines only. Though on my Bernina 830 it has dual feed built in so I use that while piecing
Not all walking feet have these problems. Perhaps there's a better one available for your machine? The only time mine has been noisy was when I forgot to engage it properly. It is just as fast as any other foot, and although it is bigger than the other feet I don't find that it obscures my vision at all. And it has markings on it that make it just as helpful as the 1/4 inch foot in maintaining seam size.
No, I have several different walking feet on my older machines and have one on my Janome 9000. All are louder than using a nice 1/4" foot. The built in dual feed or IDT is the best though. quiet and nothing to get in your way visually.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 AM

I tried using my WF for piecing and didn't like it. It just seemed like it wanted to eat my fabric. I went back to my 1/4" foot but didn't like that either because I always had problems going over the bulky seams. Then someone on this board (sorry I can't remember who) said she uses her N foot and puts her needle all the way to 7 to get her 1/4" seam. I tried it and love. It goes over the seams really nice. I think it might be because it's a wider foot and stays put better then the 1/4" foot. No weaving. So whoever it was that suggested using the Monograming foot, thank you, thank you, thank you. Made my piecing so much better. :thumbup:
Old 10-16-2011, 08:43 AM

I'm lucky to have the built in version (IDT) on my machine and never shut it off! Most helpful for piecing with my "straight stitch" plate - a hole, not a slot - and 1/4" foot.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm...yes, my walking foot is also big. It doesn't look like the most likely choice for piecing either.

Originally Posted by par4theday
My walking foot is big and bulky, I only use it to bind and do rag quilts. I have sewn binding strips together with walking foot, but prefer the regular 1/4" foot.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I also use it for multiple layers of fabric or heavy fabric like jean material.

Originally Posted by quilts4charity
NO, I only use my walking foot for binding in quilting, also for regular sewing on velvets and corduroy and such.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:45 PM

My walking foot stays on my machine at all times. it is bulky but it works and I like it... lol.. Since I don't like to pin much unless it is a bigger piece..
Old 10-16-2011, 12:46 PM

No, too slow and too noisy.