Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So, now what to do?

Blog Entries
    My sister designed and markets a product called "Stitching Lines" for making half-square triangles. I love them and priced nicely. You can find them at http://marinandcolusa.com/
    Laura

Lots of great suggestions here. I'd just like to add that you might like to do a sampler quilt. There are tutorials and CDs available for help and demonstrations. Come back to this quilt when you have had some more experience with quilting. ALSO, check for quilt guilds in your are. Our guild has some wonderful people and activities. Wish you lived closer. We could play together.

Blog Entries
    I only work on projects that I like. I think you have to feel an emotional connection to your project just as if you were painting or weaving or whatever. I look at books and magazine, surf the web and this Board when I feel like I need to be inspired. This works for beginners as well as professionals.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    If you totally avoid triangles, you're avoiding 3/4 of the patterns out there, and the most beautiful things about quilting in general. With the "speed piecing" technique, there is no bias to deal with - you just sew on a line! How hard can that be??? Open your mind; surpass your fears - and you will become a better quilter (this written from a quilter who fears quarter-square triangles. lol)

I think it might be a good idea for you to pick your own projects and classes instead of making the quilt shop choose for you.

I agree, put it away. You are too aggravated right now. You will have fun with it later when you have gained more experience. Do you have a quilting friend who can come over and give you some guidance? A trip to the gym always clears the head, so go to the gym and take a week off!
    Michelle G. in El Paso

I did find one quilt like I referred to earlier ... atriangle quilt on the board. Search "triangles" and go to the Picture labeled 'equilateral triangles.'

ali

I am in this same boat...I was talked into by quilting friends to do a vest class...the directions are detailed and I am in over my head already...LOL!! But if I never try, I will not move forward so I am going to learn something out of all of this. And I will have a very cool vest to show off for my effort. So just go for it and have fun!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieM
    I went to my favorite quilting store looking for a new project, I asked one of the ladies in the shop for alittle advice on picking my next project. I had explained to her my level of experience. She directed me to a quilt kit with all triangles. And I have never made a quilt with triangles because I read so many disaster stories about them.

In a "goofball" moment I said sure, I can do that. The pattern is on the cover of McCall's Quilting, Fast Favorites.

I have started cutting the strips from fat quarters that were provided in the kit. I just can't get motivated to work on it. I feel intimidated with the whole quilt by my own inexperience.

Also, at the time I was in the shop purchasing the above, I signed up for a quilt class on you guessed it triangles, the entire class was surprised to find the class was hand piecing triangles. I don't hand piece and I do not believe anyone else in the class does either.

DH was with me when I bought the kit and the book, he knows what it cost and never complains. Maybe I need to put everything away, get ready for spring, and get back to the gym.

Thanks for letting me vent/whine a bit. :cry:

JulieM
    who has lost her regular here status
    Do Not Put It Away....it can sense fear! LOL If the triangles are half square triangles do not worry...they have some good tutorials on this site. Try a couple, you just might suprise yourself! You are never "alone", this board is just a mouse click away.

I do my triangles using blocks. I draw a line corner to corner. Then I sew1/4 inch on either side of the line, then cut on the line. When I finish I have not one but two finished half square triangles. Might help some.
    Penny

Just start working on it one block at the time. Before long you will be surprised how much you get done, and you might even learn to like triangles.

Blog Entries
    Julie, I was the same way about sewing triangles for a long time. Even bought thangles. But one day I decided I was going to conquer my fear. One of the best lessons I was taught was to cut your triangles bigger than required (maybe 1/4 to 3/8 bigger) then use your square-up ruler to cut them to the correct size. Also use a walking foot if you've got one. Practice on some scrap fabric until you get the hang of it. Good Luck!

with good instructions, you can do it, and do it well
    do not beat yourself up
    My first quilt was a log cabin diamond tree skirt
    I bought it-spent a fortune, on pattern, fabric and tools(mat, cutter, rulers, thread, etc.
    Let it sit forever
    Was very easy once I got to it, the instructions were great, made 4 of them.
    Give it a try--
    You will do well.
    smiles to you.

There are some good turorials on Youtube. I use it to learn since I consider myself an advanced beginner and while I have taken classes, I like to expand my knowledge base. Also, I have found some good steps to make things easier and quicker.

What are they hand piecing for?? It seems the machine piecing would last longer and hold up to more wear and tear.IMHO....I don't think I would have been very satisfied with the class.

As for the kit, maybe do a little of it and see how it turns out...it may be the motivator for you.

I have done the same thing. I will put it away for awhile and work on something easy and fast. Kind of breaks up the long process of the larger or harder quilts.

What wonderful advice from everyone.

I know I am doing these things;

1. Putting it kinda away, so I can clean my sewing room,

2. Going to the gym, tomorrow, Friday, it is back to Zumba,

3. I am going to work on my taxes,

4. Start with a glass of wine a nice cabernet and re-read all of the tutorials I have, total count 7 and see which one seems the easiest, get out the scraps and the Thangles and see if I can make something happen.

Love you all,
    JulieM

Blog Entries
    Don't avoid it indefinitely. You bought it, you CAN make it. Read, read, read, then start simple. Perhaps a practice pot holder, a hot mat, a place mat on which to place a vase. Practice will make it easier, and those items are non-threatening. It's the beginning that's the hardest part.

I am working on a pinwheel quilt now with little 9 patch blocks in the sashing. When I put my pinwheels together I thought "Hey that wasn't so bad". Then I sewed my pinwheels to the sashing strip and nothing was matching. I wanted to pack it all up, but I spent a lot of money and this is for my bed. I realized that I needed to square up my blocks. As soon as I did that EVERYTHING started going together great. So stick with it you will be happy you did and it is a wonderful learning experience.

I too took forever to start my first quilt till the girls at work threatened to cut the fabric for me - then got so excited once I started finished in two weeks while working full time! Move it move it move it! You can do this, you go girl! Don't forget to show us the photos!

go online and find a web site that gives you instructions on making triangles..they are really easy once you see a video
    Freequiltpatterninfo/half square triangles info
    U-Tube has some really good ones..don't give up :)

Julie, half square triangles aren't the monsters I used to fear too. Just like everything else here, there are tips and techniques to learn. Once you have them down, the world of new patterns is wide open to you. Try using the pattern on some scrappy fabrics to get used to the technique that came with the pattern. Then try the class. Then try a tutorial on here. (Or whatever order you choose). You'll be SO proud of yourself once you whip triangles into shape.

I agree. Put it away for a while and then go back later see if it
    looks better. Just do it a little at a time if it is too hard for you.
    Good Luck on it.

I would like to encourage you to continue to take the hand-piecing class. It is great to put the work in progress in your purse or tote and carry it with you to do at the odd time when you are waiting around. With any kind of hand piecing, I found the most important thing is to mark your 1/4" seam on each of the fabric pieces then make sure when pinned together the pin goes thru the marked line on both sides of the fabric. Also never stitch past that 1/4" point at the corners. I usually put 3-4 small running stitches on the needle before I pulled it through and did a backstitch every other needlefull. I found that it was much easier to match seams because you could manipulate the fabric to make it match. It can be very relaxing once you get going. I did a sampler quilt with a different block each month while I was on a mission trip in Alaska. I called it my 'prayer quilt' since with each group of stitches I placed on my needle, I said a prayer for someone or something. As far as them holding up, I guess that would depend on how hard it was used. I still have quilts that my greatgrandmother pieced by hand. Best of luck to you. Believe in yourself and take it one step at a time. Oh, I forget to mention pressing. I am pretty fanatical about my seams so I made sure my seams were well pressed before matching them and sewing. I would use a wood pressing stick when I did not have access to a hot iron. For me, it was my secret "weapon" and I have had many compliments on the blocks. One person thought they had been machine stitched and only when I actually showed her the back did she believe it was hand pieced. You can do it too. Blessings.

I think you should push yourself, if you don't, the kit will still be in the drawer next year. Do a little at a time, you might find it to your liking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast