Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: So, now what to do?

Triangles are not that difficult. Just be careful not to pull or stretch the bias edges and they will fly right through your machine!

The Missouri Quilt Company has some really easy tutorials on making half square triangles and easy pinwheels - maybe they will help.

Power Poster
    Don't give up or get discouraged. Just put it away for a while and pick it up latter.

I don't think any quilt should be listed as quick if it has triangles. I have a problem with spacial concepts and even angles are a challenge to me.

Maybe you could swap your UFO kit with someone else for a UFO project they have, that you are interested in. Ask your fellow guild members or maybe advertise it in a newsletter?

By the way, unless they are very tiny, triangles are easy to chain sew on a machine. The secret is being sure to get the little ear points even and sew exactly across them, which is easier to do, than listen to somebody say it.
    I am one of those who like to hand sew too.

Do you really have to cut triangles???
    Can you do half square triangles?

Never give up. I take a hand piecing project with me every where I go so some of my quilt have both machine and hand piecing in them.

If you will spend some time organizing the pieces, then you can spend 15-20 minutes a day sewing. Eventually you will find yourself spending hours working on that quilt. Don't push yourself right now but organize your sewing time and the pressure is gone. Good luck and don't give up!!

I've been quilting for quite awhile. I still have some trouble with triangles. But, I keep realizing that I need to sew "a scant 1/4" seam." I have trouble sewing straight seams. But, if I can get better, then the triangles will not be a problem. Don't let the triangles intimidate you. They look wonderful in quilts.

Hey girl,anyone willing to quilt and do not let oters scare you on triangles. They are my favorite piece to work with. Watch a tute and then try half sq triangles. So you say others have scared you with thier stories of them. Did they also tell you thier skill level when they started? A journey of a lifetime begins with one step. No one became an expert on the first try. I believe in you.Think of learning as something that enriches your soul . Your Triangle friend.

Just set it aside for awhile. I just finished some BOM that was triangles. I used Thangles to make my HST. You might try using them. Thangles come in several different sized, depending on what size triangles you need. Thangles are paper strips with lines on them to sew on & ones to cut on. You pin them on your strips of fabric RST & then sew on the lines. Works great for beginners.

Blog Entries
    Just tae it a little at a time...if you run into a question on your kit roject, you have hundreds of friends here who will help.

Blog Entries
    I usually purchase material to make a quilt and then "worry" over my ability a month or more before I try it. I have one kit I've had for 5 years.... still in it's jelly roll! One day I'll start it.... or use the strips for something else!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I think the best way to get better is to push yourself, if you stay away from triangles because you're scared of them how will you ever know if you can conquer them? I say jump in with both feet and give it a try, don't expect your first time to be perfect, was anything ever? meal? cake? drive? diaper change? it all takes practice. go for it.you CAN do it :thumbup:
    I agree with Kathy. All things take practice and if you run into any troubles, we're here for you. Go for it :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    I agree - put it away and then when you get more proficient on triangles it will seem easy peasy.
    I agree - this works best for me, too until I get the "no, you can't" voices out of my head....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coachmatthewsvhs
    I usually purchase material to make a quilt and then "worry" over my ability a month or more before I try it. I have one kit I've had for 5 years.... still in it's jelly roll! One day I'll start it.... or use the strips for something else!
    I do this with computer software...sometimes the warranty is expired before I even try download it! :roll:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3