Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So, now what to do? >

So, now what to do?

So, now what to do?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 AM

I agree, put it away. You are too aggravated right now. You will have fun with it later when you have gained more experience. Do you have a quilting friend who can come over and give you some guidance? A trip to the gym always clears the head, so go to the gym and take a week off!
Michelle G. in El Paso
Old 02-23-2011, 08:09 AM

I did find one quilt like I referred to earlier ... atriangle quilt on the board. Search "triangles" and go to the Picture labeled 'equilateral triangles.'

ali
Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 AM

I am in this same boat...I was talked into by quilting friends to do a vest class...the directions are detailed and I am in over my head already...LOL!! But if I never try, I will not move forward so I am going to learn something out of all of this. And I will have a very cool vest to show off for my effort. So just go for it and have fun!!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by JulieM
I went to my favorite quilting store looking for a new project, I asked one of the ladies in the shop for alittle advice on picking my next project. I had explained to her my level of experience. She directed me to a quilt kit with all triangles. And I have never made a quilt with triangles because I read so many disaster stories about them.

In a "goofball" moment I said sure, I can do that. The pattern is on the cover of McCall's Quilting, Fast Favorites.

I have started cutting the strips from fat quarters that were provided in the kit. I just can't get motivated to work on it. I feel intimidated with the whole quilt by my own inexperience.

Also, at the time I was in the shop purchasing the above, I signed up for a quilt class on you guessed it triangles, the entire class was surprised to find the class was hand piecing triangles. I don't hand piece and I do not believe anyone else in the class does either.

DH was with me when I bought the kit and the book, he knows what it cost and never complains. Maybe I need to put everything away, get ready for spring, and get back to the gym.

Thanks for letting me vent/whine a bit. :cry:

JulieM
who has lost her regular here status
Do Not Put It Away....it can sense fear! LOL If the triangles are half square triangles do not worry...they have some good tutorials on this site. Try a couple, you just might suprise yourself! You are never "alone", this board is just a mouse click away.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 AM

I do my triangles using blocks. I draw a line corner to corner. Then I sew1/4 inch on either side of the line, then cut on the line. When I finish I have not one but two finished half square triangles. Might help some.
Penny
Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 AM

Just start working on it one block at the time. Before long you will be surprised how much you get done, and you might even learn to like triangles.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Julie, I was the same way about sewing triangles for a long time. Even bought thangles. But one day I decided I was going to conquer my fear. One of the best lessons I was taught was to cut your triangles bigger than required (maybe 1/4 to 3/8 bigger) then use your square-up ruler to cut them to the correct size. Also use a walking foot if you've got one. Practice on some scrap fabric until you get the hang of it. Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM

with good instructions, you can do it, and do it well
do not beat yourself up
My first quilt was a log cabin diamond tree skirt
I bought it-spent a fortune, on pattern, fabric and tools(mat, cutter, rulers, thread, etc.
Let it sit forever
Was very easy once I got to it, the instructions were great, made 4 of them.
Give it a try--
You will do well.
smiles to you.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM

There are some good turorials on Youtube. I use it to learn since I consider myself an advanced beginner and while I have taken classes, I like to expand my knowledge base. Also, I have found some good steps to make things easier and quicker.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 PM

What are they hand piecing for?? It seems the machine piecing would last longer and hold up to more wear and tear.IMHO....I don't think I would have been very satisfied with the class.

As for the kit, maybe do a little of it and see how it turns out...it may be the motivator for you.