Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So upset! >

So upset!

So upset!

Old 12-14-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
Thanks so much everyone, I'm in NJ, center of the state.
Eh.... Abilene, TX is WAY to far for me to drive the machine over. LOL. Although I wish I could and visit with my sons and grandkids in northwest NJ.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:25 PM

Jennifer,

Wish you lived near me. I know of a great sewing machine repair person [fully certified and has taught sewing machine repair] in my area with only a day turn around. I call and make the appointment; take my machine to her and wait, read a book, or go out for coffee while she repairs my machines.

Maybe someone in your area knows of some similar service.

ali
Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 PM

Put the top, batting and backing in a box and giftwrap it... On the card write "Some Assembly Required"

Maybe that will add a laugh to the situation

Sorcha
Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 PM

Yes, give them the quilt anyway, adding not just a note, but a spool of thread, pack of needles, etc. - things that represent a work in progress. Then take it back to finish it. My mom did this once with a knitted blanket, wrapping it along with the knitting needles and the rest of the ball of yarn. At the shower, it was a funny thing! It's the thought that counts!
Old 12-15-2010, 03:41 AM

That's what we are here for. So sorry this happened to u. This is why I keep spare machines. When u get this repaired0 or repair it. Start looking around for a used second machine. Good luck I hope it all works out
Attached Thumbnails attachment-143432.png  
Old 12-15-2010, 03:47 AM

Do you have a quilting friend you could share machine with?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
The machine repair place was the dealer. It's a Singer Confidence machine and when I called they thought it might be a part that had "popped out of place"

I pulled everything apart that I could, pulled out the bobbin case, cleaned it with the brush, and didn't see any thread. There was some lint, but that wasn't the issue apparently. It's the mechanism that makes the needle go up and down that is just stuck. :(

Thanks for the advice!
My sister in law bought a Singer that did a similar thing. I'm not sure which model. She said she could see that a component above the needle had visibly bent. Her machine was also quite new, and she never brought it back to Walmart (may be why it broke-haha) to complain. Even with a $100 machine, I would be "fussing" if it happened to me.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:00 AM

Have you tried craigslist.com or freecycle.com local to you for an affordable used sewing machine to get you thru these projects? A cheaper way to get a backup machine.....and get your gift projects done in time for giving.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:02 AM

So sorry! :(

Some other ideas:

Look on CraigsList for an inexpensive gently-used machine. I've even seen free ones listed from time to time.

You could put an ad up explaining what happened, and see if anyone has one you could borrow or "rent" for a few days.

I'm in Georgia or I'd be glad to let you borrow one of mine! DH thinks I'm nuts having several machines, but this is why I do.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by NauDeeGal
Have you tried craigslist.com or freecycle.com local to you for an affordable used sewing machine to get you thru these projects? A cheaper way to get a backup machine.....and get your gift projects done in time for giving.
LOL! We were typing at the same time. :)