Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: so who has a long arm?

I'm small beans here. I have a Juki (nine inch throat) on a Grace frame. I quilted with the Juki alone (no frame) for a few years and it worked fine but when I put it on the frame it was a whole new wonderful world. So much easier on my hands and arms. I love my set up.

I have an HQ Avante - I am still new to LA quilting but I am so happy to have it - The closest Long Arm is 55 miles away and usually takes months to get work done - Now I can do my own at my own pace. The only problem is the space it takes - Mine has a studio table and it can be setup for 12' but I only have room for 8' right now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy
    I have a Bernina 430 and almost the only difference between your lusted-after 440 and my 430 was I had to buy my BSR and wlaking foot. However, there is no comparing a 440 and a long arm, as you could never do with the long arm what you can do with a sewing machine, and also a long arm is many times more $$$ than the 440. (I think right now the 440 w/embroidery unit is a little less than $5,000.) I manage to quilt just fine with my 430. Yes, I would love a long arm, but the kind I want is $20,000 and I think for that kind of money, I can get an awful lot of q1uilts quilted by a professional.
    Ditto. I have a Janome 1600 on an 8-foot frame that I use to FMQ. My intention is to learn on this system and upgrade to a long-arm in several years. My Bernina 430 with BSR is used for smaller projects that I don't want to put on the frame.

Blog Entries
    I love my Nolting LAM. If your a hobby quilter look into a mid arm size. 17-18 inch throat and a 8 to 10' table and also manufacturers sell used machines. Contact several and discuss what you are looking for. They are very helpful. Start small and trade up if you find you really love a LAM. You can also rent time on some machines so try that out too.

Blog Entries
    TammyM> Aren't they great machines? Simple and not a lot of bells and whistles. I have a Bernina for my piecing and I haven't used a quarter of the stuff on it. KISS works for me every time. I have a Pro 24. I don't know what I was thinking as my first LAM adventure. I am so gald I did! Fortune smiled on me that day!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2