Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Solution for rulers that slip? >

Solution for rulers that slip?

Solution for rulers that slip?

Old 10-31-2017, 08:09 AM

Ruler Magic works quite well also.. thin layer on the back and no more slippage!
Old 10-31-2017, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I use sandpaper dots. I don't know what they're called because a friend gave me a sheet of them years ago! I just peel and stick. They last a fairly long time.
I've ordered these from Sharlene Jorgenson's "Quilting From The Heartland" website. If you like to cut, then slide the template, you'll have to slightly lift the template because the sandpaper does catch on the fabric. A sheet can go a long way when you cut out the dots with a hole-punch for paper.

I've also used the Invisigrip with success, but prefer to cut it a bit smaller than the area I want to apply it to. I probably do not do as much cutting or quilting as most of you, so have not had any peel off or noticed reduction in resistance.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:33 AM

My solution is to replace rulers, little by little, with Quilters Select rulers. They DO NOT SLIP at all...........and you do not have to add things like Invisigrip to the backs.............
Old 10-31-2017, 11:40 AM

Location: NC,GA,FLA,(GA and NC again), MD, MO, now Virginia...not going again

Again..thank you for all the suggestions. I sent an earlier thank you, but don't see it on the list. Will try again. I am fumbling a little learning to use the board.

I am thrilled with all the ideas. Thanks to all of you.
MHJ
Old 10-31-2017, 11:49 AM

I use that shelf liner stuff. I found a roll of it at the dollar store but Walmart and a lot of other places sell it also. Cut a strip and put it under your ruler - no need to glue it on - just move it when you move your ruler. Works like a charm. I also put a square of it under my foot pedal & I sit on a square of it as I have trouble sliding down in my chair. I've tried other things but this stuff works the best for me and you can't beat the price!!
Old 10-31-2017, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I use the grip strips from Guidelines4Quilting. They work really well
I have some of these on some rulers, some frosty medical tape and some with sandpaper dots. They all work for me. I also have some of the rulers with a rough back.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:26 PM

This is what I use having been introduced to it at a quilt retreat. Works great and I even cut a small square to use with my 2 1/2 inch square ruler. Never slips.
Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
cut some small squares or strips of the foam shelf liner--put between ruler and fabric. Works great and can be moved to allow you to see your measurement lines.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
I use clear strips that are meant for the bathtub. Amazon sells them. About $14 and you will have enough for all your rulers and a friend's to boot. You can see through the strips so it doesn't interfere with measuring lines.
Yep. These are the best I've used, much better than Invisigrip. 3M makes them, and they come in different grits, so make sure to get the coarse grit. You can't even slide the ruler with these on it, not even a smidgen. You have to pick it up and place it down again.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:11 PM

Rust-oleum makes a product called Leak and Seal it is a flexible rubber coating....I bought a ruler at a Oaks Quilt Show and my girlfriend and I figured there has to be something on the market to do this and we went to HD and asked around and they guided us to this and you spray it on and it is clear and the rulers don't move once you put it on the fabric. It is in a white can in the paint isle...I have been using this for a few weeks and it's great. I cut a lot of scraps I do a lot of charity quilts all scrappy....so I do a lot of cutting.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:27 AM

A dab of clear nail polish, then a sprinkle of table salt, let dry. I've used this for years....