Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some advice for the LQS from a senior quilter with a bad back. >

Some advice for the LQS from a senior quilter with a bad back.

Some advice for the LQS from a senior quilter with a bad back.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I try not to leave a mess while I shop -

HOWEVER -

if the bolts of fabric are wedged in so tightly that I need a prybar to make enough space to put the bolt back on the shelf - I will either leave the fabric leaning against the shelf or laying on top of the bolts.

I don't have the upper body and/or arm strength to be able to shove the bolt back in.

Or - if/when I try to pull one bolt out to look at it - and five or six more come crashing down along with it -

I realize that shelf space is probably limited - but I will just walk away when that happens.
I think some shops would rather that bolts are left out like this because they can really get messed up when we try to shove them back in. So don't feel bad about leaving them out.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:12 AM

I have this problem too. I also complained about the Quilting Magazines, always being on the lowest shelves & all the guy mocho stuff being at eye level.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 AM

Right now, I'm shopping from my stash...haven't been to a LQS in a long time...so glad I went crazy at the LQS with this passion when I did. There's always going to be beautiful fabrics out there, and when I'm ready to purchase again I'll ooh and aah over them just like I did with the ones already in my stash!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 AM

One of my pet peeves is fabric bolts wedged in so tight you either can't get it out of you cause an avalanche in the process. I will walk away from this situation. I can't imagine having all the fabric bolts on the floor. I couldn't get down there and the lighting would be impossible. I hope the LQS wises up or they may be out of business.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Our local LQS has a great idea - fat quarters of all materials at eye height, with the bolts up high and down low. This allows us to color match (taking them outside if necessary) and see patterns/etc without having to fight the big bolts. Fortunately this LQS also uses the OTT light type of fluorescent lighting for store lighting so I usually don't have to take them outside. Yes, the material is more expensive but staff helps with moving the bolts around and with problems on patterns/ color combos so it is a good tradeoff when I don't want to shop online.

There isn't enough floor space for seating (except in the classroom) nor is there a lot of aisle space (but being in California there is room for wheelchair access or walkers down the aisles). The store is an affiliate of my guild and does offer small discounts to guild members (every little bit helps these days).

I do what I can to support them, because they really do provide a great service to our community and are a great conduit to getting more folks interested in the art and science of quilting.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:45 PM

I'm in total agreement about the problem of accessibility of items. It drives me bats. I have steel in my back and two artificial knees. If only these shop owners walked in my shoes for awhile. My bra sizes are always hanging on the bottom rung in the stores too!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:50 PM

I too have back and hip problems so I would really appreciate a chair to sit down on for a few minutes and rest and then continue my shopping.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
The stores I go to have two rows of fabrics, one to the ground and one above. I hate bending over or getting on my knees and then crawling along on the floor to see all the fabric. It's ridiculous. So, I don't usually buy from the bottom shelf. Sometimes I will ask the clerk if she will grab something off the bottom shelf for me because I can't do it and they will do it. But what I agree with is when they have all the bolts wedged in too tight. Ohhh...If I can get one out, I'll leave it on the floor with a couple more and then shop thru the rest of the bolts. They always have half empty shelves elsewhere so I don't know why they have to fill up some of the shelves plum full unless they want to keep the fabric line together. It must be frustrating for the owners, too. They probably feel bad seeing us crawling around on the floor and trying to pry a bolt of fabric loose off the shelf. I can see both sides. I wish they had shopping carts at my quilt shops because I usually buy fabric from quite a few bolts and have to haul them up front. It'd be nice to throw them in a cart and keep on shopping. I'd end up spending more money. They could buy those small carts they make now. They make inexpensive ones. They'd need only 2 or 3 in their stores and they'd pay for themselves in a couple of months, I'd think. And I agree about having a stool to sit on while looking on lower shelves. Would be terrific! And sometimes I spend a lot of time looking in the store and my legs get tired.
You would love my store, I provide a walker with a basket in front, you can use it to put bolts on the seat, notions in the basket and wheel it to the cutting table and leave the bolts there. Then, go back and sit in the walker when your legs get tired and look at the fabric closer to the floor, fill the seat up again and you're ready to cut and check out.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
mim

I agree -- When I go to a LQS it is eacuse I really want to buy a particular fabric. It seems like all the shops -- both in WA and here in ME that I go to put fabrics on the floor. I can do the bending/squat stuff, but I don't notice what is there. The shop in downtown Olympia has bad lighting so the colors are dull or distorted.

I know they want to have as many choices as possible, but bad display means bad sales on overlooked fabrics.

They may not do anything about it -- or reposition some - not all - items. If it is a small, personally owned shop, you may run into the "virgin daughter" syndrome. "She is mine and she is perfect"

Still I think, as a past shop owner, suggestions are welcome if they are gentle.

Mim
Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by OzarksGma View Post
You would love my store, I provide a walker with a basket in front, you can use it to put bolts on the seat, notions in the basket and wheel it to the cutting table and leave the bolts there. Then, go back and sit in the walker when your legs get tired and look at the fabric closer to the floor, fill the seat up again and you're ready to cut and check out.
How aobut you move to Wisconsin? I would stay longer at the LQS (bad back and knees!) with that walker set up!