Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Some quilting gift ideas? >
  • Some quilting gift ideas?

• Some quilting gift ideas?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:26 AM

Here is an idea that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet...a friend and I are planning to go on a 2-day bus trip in February sponsored by a local travel agency. The trip is about $200 and goes from AZ to San Diego, has stops at 2 LQS and then a workshop with Eleanor Burns, plus overnight in a motel and some meals. We are treating ourselves, but it might be fun to ask family members to contribute toward a trip like this or a shop-hop in your area. Nice to have a trip to look forward to, and to meeting new quilters. Just check online or with local travel agents or charter bus companies.
    Old 11-30-2010, 07:27 AM

Please go to your daughter's home for her sake if not yours.It will spoil her chrismas if your not there and I'm sure you could be very helful to her,what with all the people she is having another pair of hands would be greatly appreciated.I know I always feel best when I'm being helpful and needed.Time will fly and you will have a great christmas.Amazing PS my daughter lives too far away to get home for christmas but oh how I wish I could spend it with her...and her family
    Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 AM

Great ,great idea,what memories you will make and fun you will have thats a wonderful gift idea.
    Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
    Originally Posted by Mary M
    With hubby gone now, it won't feel like Christmas. My daughter is having a huge crowd fom her husbands side and although she said I could come, I think I would feel out of place but that is okay because we did spend Thanksgiving together. I plan on giving and won't be concerned about getting for that is what Christmas means to me. There are a lot of kids out there who need a quilt to keep them warm and pajamas too. I feel good about giving I just don't like the shopping part. I pray that all children will have a warm and loving place al through the year.
    Please go. This year you might feel uncomfortable, but if you go this year, then next year will be better. And you can start a "new" tradition of being included. Your grandkids will love having you there.
    Yes please go.....my mom always says things like that also. She sits at home because she doesn't want to intrude. I tell her that we want her there or we wouldn't have asked to begin with. .....And besides "the more, the merrier"
    Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 AM

Everyone knows to just get gift certificates to the various quilt shops. Sometimes my DIL will go with me. Up intil last year she had never been in a fabric store. She was in awe!! It was like taking a kid to disneyland for the first time. She doesn't sew, but really likes the things I make up. So I usually get caught up on my notions after Christmas and some fabric medleys that I possibly would not have spent the extra money on. And of course....there is ALWAYS another book I would like to have. ;-)
    Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 AM

I hope she surprise you this year and reaches out to you.I will keep you in my prayer's and heart.
    Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 AM

DH asked me what I want, and all I could say was fabric, I LOVE fabric! :-D :-D :-D
    Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 AM

I tell them fabric is always a good choice.
    Old 11-30-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mary M
    With hubby gone now, it won't feel like Christmas. My daughter is having a huge crowd fom her husbands side and although she said I could come, I think I would feel out of place but that is okay because we did spend Thanksgiving together. I plan on giving and won't be concerned about getting for that is what Christmas means to me. There are a lot of kids out there who need a quilt to keep them warm and pajamas too. I feel good about giving I just don't like the shopping part. I pray that all children will have a warm and loving place al through the year.
    You go. You are just as important to your grandkids, and after all it is your daughter. Plese go.
    Old 11-30-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
    Here is an idea that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet...a friend and I are planning to go on a 2-day bus trip in February sponsored by a local travel agency. The trip is about $200 and goes from AZ to San Diego, has stops at 2 LQS and then a workshop with Eleanor Burns, plus overnight in a motel and some meals. We are treating ourselves, but it might be fun to ask family members to contribute toward a trip like this or a shop-hop in your area. Nice to have a trip to look forward to, and to meeting new quilters. Just check online or with local travel agents or charter bus companies.
    For my 60th birthday ( a long time ago) my kids wanted to pay for me to have a flying lesson, or race a formula 1 car. I persuaded them I was too long in the tooth for that sort of thing and convinced them that a weekend quilting retreat was more my thing. This is what they did, and it was the best. Still not better than my 70th, as my husband took me to Singapore to stay at the famous Raffles hotel. On my birthday we went to the long bar to have a Singapore sling, and guess what? all my children where sitting in there, they had come over for my birthday to surprise me. The best birthday present ever. I even told them it was far better even than my 21st. I will never ever forget that, better than any present.