Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Somebody jump start me!! >

Somebody jump start me!!

Somebody jump start me!!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 PM

Same birthday, same sign, same problem. It takes me forever to make the first cut in my fabric--after I've taken a week to pick it out and change it 10 times. I've never thought much about astrology, but, hmmm--maybe we're twins separated at birth????
Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

NO WONDER I agree with everything AMMA says. I am a Gemini TOO. I pulled fabric on Saturday night, the 2nd of July for the lap quilt contest. Due to my disability, I had not even attempted to complete a quilt in over 6 years. I had been busy making just the tops for charity. Unfortunately, during the first half of Sunday, I was STILL making changes to the fabric I thought I had finally chosen. I was on a deadline for the lap quilt contest so I had to stay on schedule. It wasn't easy but you have to think how rewarding it will be when the quilt is finished. All I could think of was the train that kept saying, I THINK I CAN !! Being disable, I didn't even know if I could do the hand stitching on the binding. It only took me two days to complete the stitching for the binding. I had schedule 3 days. So I finished a day early. YAHOO !! Set a doable schedule to try to get a project done but always remember that it is NOT set in cement. I truly wish I was not such a fussy perfectionist. My best quilting friend just slaps quilts together (they are lovely) for charity but no, I have to think and analysis ever step of making a charity quilt. You just have to learn to live with it and do your best! OH, Dear, I think I hear a UFO calling me....... I am a little off my OWN schedule.... BYE !!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE who voted for my quilt !!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236657[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236651.jpe  
Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Sounds like a variation of measure twice - cut once.
I am all for thinking a project through thoroughly. especially when it's important to me.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 PM

The whole point of quilting is fulfilling those needs in you. If your current way of doing things is stressing to you try changing one small thing at a time. If trying to change anything about how you approach your craft would cause stress than Don't! If you create stress than what's the point? You'd just be taking the joy out of something you love. The right way to quilt is the process that works for you. You're an artist not a factory; you'll get done with a project when you get done and hopefully have enjoyed the journey!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 PM

I am a Libra as well...actually born on the 17th of October! And I too have to have everything just right before starting anything. It's almost as if you were talking about me!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:55 AM

I do the same thing. When I can't get started it usually turns out I don't like something about it and make a change......Pisces
Old 08-05-2011, 03:50 AM

I sat next to a woman at guild and she explained it all. For her it is about the journey, she takes forever to get anything done, because she is savoring every part of the journey, I am Libra, but very impatient, so for me it is about getting the quilt done, etc. I believe you are stessing because you are a thinker, but I believe you enjoy the journey, you want to savor every piece of it, and that is NOT a bad thing, that is a good thing for you. It would drive me crazy but I am not wired that way. LOL
Old 08-05-2011, 04:11 AM

I'm an Aquarian - but I just jump in and go. Gotta have tons of projects going at the same time. Get into a slump when I am forcing myself to work on one project when I really want to do another. I think of myself as a "process" person. Sometimes I don't care if I finish a project or not - it was the process I was interested in. Getting better about finishing things, though. The Dear Jane quilt I am working on was begun in 1997. I am quilting it now - or I will resume quilting it when the temps fall quite a bit! It's waaaaay too hot to hand quilt anything!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:25 AM

I'm an Aquarian - I just jump right in, but then I get bored with things and have to start something new. I love the process of quilting, and I do journal everything I do, regarding my thought process.

Just go for it!!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 AM

I find that I do the same thing. I have a specific task to do, like finish a quilt, and I find all sorts of things that must be in order before I can get to the task at hand.

I think, at least for me, it is fear and uncertainty. I tackle the things I am confident in before starting something that makes me nervous. I guess to boost my confidence.

I call it the Ed Norton syndrome. Now I have revealed my age to you. FYI Ed Norton was Jackie Gleasons side kick in the old TV show the Honeymooners.

PS I am a Scorpio and a Rat!