Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
someone asked me to make a "throw"out of old clothes >

someone asked me to make a "throw"out of old clothes

someone asked me to make a "throw"out of old clothes

Old 06-04-2011, 03:38 AM

How to ... http://www.ehow.com/how_13974_interl...azy-quilt.html

I've heard to start with a five-sided shape in the center of the block.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:48 AM

I'm making a quilt from my husband's old flanned shirts and pjs. For the backing I'll use a denim dress I don't wear any longer.
When it's finished it will represent my husband and me. Nothing fancy. The size is for him to use comfortably when he's in his relcliner and feels like having a blankie on him!
I've offered to make a scrappy quilt for someone who lost a daughter recently. If she takes me up on it I'll get her clothes and cut them, piece them together. Then Galeen will always be there for Sally and Ed...that's what the quilt will mean to them---their daughter to hold near. Memory quilts are very endearing.
There's a lot to be said for quilts made from someone's clothing, but it's the memory of them that's most important to the receiver. Try to put your heart into it and if you can't quite get the feeling, then somehow you'll be able to kindly refuse her.
Blessings,
Angela
Old 06-04-2011, 03:55 AM

From the sound of your message. I don't think this is for you. Maybe reccomend another quilter.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:04 AM

a friend of mine made this 7 shirt quilt
fabgrandma.com/2011/05/making-a-t-shirt-quilt-tutorial-part-7/
it looks fantastic

Monika
Old 06-04-2011, 04:12 AM

My Aunt taught me how to make quilts when I was a teenager. She learned during the depression era. We took old clothes and cut out all the usable parts. We took old sheets and cut a stand size square from each one, I think we did 6" squares. Then we sewed the fabric pieces onto the squares, then flipped them over to trim even with the sheet square. Then we used army blankets that we bought from Goodwill and used them as batting. And we used either sheets or fabric that we bought on sale at TG&Y for the backing. We would pull the frame down from the ceiling and load the quilt on to it and the whole family would get involved in tying the quilt. My Aunt would used crochet thread for the tying. It was my job to hem the quilts on the treadle sewing machine.

Fast forward a few decades. I made my DH a t-shirt quilt. It was fun to make. It was a very simple design - 15 1/2 inch squares with 3 1/2 inch flannel sashing with a 6 inch flannel border and flannel backing. Warm and natural batting. It's a nice, warm snuggly quilt. Make sure t-shirts are washed without fabric softner and don't use fabric sheets. You would want to do this yourself just to make sure. Also, Pellon interfacing on back of t-shirt area before you cut to size. I tried using nylon invisible thread but it kept breaking on the t-shirt fabric. Someone on this board told me about using Sulky polester invisible thread and it didn't break. T-shirt quilts make great memory quilts.

Made both my boys jean quilts from their old jeans. One quilt I did 9 1/2 inch squares which also included some pockets and some seams just for fun. Makesure seams are not near the corners. I found bandana material at the store and used red bandana material for the sashing and blue for the cornerstones. For the other quilt, I used 4 1/2 inch squares alternating with blocks made up of two rectangles squared at 4 1/2 inches. Also used a flannel backing on his. The boyes loved their quilts.

Just use a basic design. Sounds like the fabric will mean more to her than the design. Just keep it simple so you don't get frustrated.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:18 AM

cost out the stabelizer it is relatively expensive.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 AM

I have done 8-10 tee shirt quilts which were no biggie. I usde contrasting fabric around each interfaces shirt piece and construct the quilt that way - differnet size shirt pieces wwere 'squared with the contrasting fabric.

I did one with jean pocket that was pretty cute as wellas runnign shorts and shirt . . . I only included the number part on those and used fusible interfacing with anything that had any stretch . that worked otu fine

The only 'interesting' situation I was confronted with was a mom(friend of my daughter's) who put in 3 receivng blankets. Unfortunately when I opened one of then up to use around one of the tee shirts - I found it was a favorite diaper and my entire sewing room spmelled like baby pee for a few day . . .

That was my only horrible experience - but all and all it was fun and I could let my imagination take me to new places - !

Just have fun with it!!

I'm currently working on a throw for one of my grandson's former teachers. Her dad died and she wanted me to use her dad's shirts to make a throw for her stepmom. After I agreed, she said that she wanted it like a friend's throw. I looked at the finished one that had the shirts cut into rectangles with the front (buttons and all)sewn together and matching backs of the shirts as the backing. It had no batting (groan) so it was very flimsy. I'm not comfortable making something so flimsy, so I'm adding batting. I've cut all the shirts to the same size, then worked in strips. I'm using a "quilt as you go" method.

I see this as a wonderful opportunity to "play" with your friend! If she doesn't quilt, teach her ... the two of you can have hours of fun with this project! This may be exactly what she needs to get through the griefing process.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:31 AM

Sounds like this friend wants the clothes made into a throw so that she can wrap it around herself and feel as if her "life partner" is giving her a hug. Please don't make something to hang on the wall - it won't provide the comfort she is looking for. As long as the clothes that you use is cotton or a blend, they should work fine. Using a simple design should work and larger blocks would probably allow her to retain the memories better. I don't know whether there are any tshirts but if there are, and one of them is a favorite, the throw could have the tshirt in the middle, surrounded by blocks of cotton/blend fabric.