Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Someone please come over and slap me >

Someone please come over and slap me

Someone please come over and slap me

Old 09-01-2011, 04:18 AM

[quote=KwiltyKahy]There are several videos on youtube about making continuous bias binding.
I tried to put the links but I'mdoing something wrong. Go to youtube and put bias binding in search. two that I found that didn't require special notions were by pcquilter and exquisitequilting.
v=kDwc1L47Src&feature=related[quote=GrannieAnnie]
Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
That's why I like to make continuous bias
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom

How do you make continuous bias? Don't you have to seam sometime or another.
Thanks, but I can't play You-tube links. I get 3 seconds, 10 second loading, 3 seconds tape, 10 seconds loading.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by JJean
I know I did the same thing. So I keep a short sample for reference and threw it in my sewing box. I pull it out whenever I need to make binding. There are lots of good demos on Youtube also.
What a fantastic idea!!!!!! You are a Genuis!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
How do you make continuous bias? Don't you have to seam sometime or another.
I've used this method, but let me preface it by saying that you can also make mistakes with this, I've done it wrong twice in the four times I tried.

Start with a square of fabric. What size square? Determine the length of the binding that you'll need and multiply by the width of the strip. Then take the square root of the result. For example, if you were going to make binding for a 12.5" square quilt, the length that you need would be 50". If the width is 2", then 50 X 2 = 100. The square root of 100 is 10. Then add another some extra, so I would use 12" or so.

Mark the top with the letter A. The bottom with the letter B. The left with the letter C. The right with the letter D.

Cut the square diagonally from the corner CA to BD.

Match sides A and B with right sides together and sew a 1/4 inch seam. Press open.

Then mark lines on the resulting parallelogram from sides C to D, using the desired width of your bias. (I do this on the right side of fabric.)

Now, with right sides together match the top of side C to the 1st line on side D. Yes, this will get wonky. Each line should match up. You should have an extra row on top of D and the bottom of C. Sew 1/4" seam. Press open (this is hard). Turn so you can see the marked lines.

Then using a scissors, cut along the marked lines. You will end up with one long piece of bias.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:41 AM

Binding strips can be a real pain can't they!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:57 AM

LOL... Been there, done that!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:02 AM

I think you are more in need of a hug than a slap. Here's a(((HUG))) for you.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
You sewed the whole thing with no bobbin thread?

Please DO NOT say you cut it by accident. I almost don't want to think about what you could have done....you didn't spill your drink on it did you?

One time when I was making my husband shirts...stupid me cut out the peices and THEN removed the pattern peices and folded the pieces up and set them aside. I needed fabric to cut the collar out and THOUGHT I had grabbed the left over fabric....but didn't. Instead, I had grabbed the peice of fabric that was the back peice that I had cut out and used it to cut the collar out. AFTER THE FACT....I went to sew the back to one of the front peices and seen what I did....I was so blasted heart sick and was not able to get any more of that fabric...since then I DO NOT for no reason whatsover remove pattern peices until ALL pieces are cut out and accounted for.
Just remove the pins so they don't leave rust spots! Then fold the pieces together. If the house is damp for some reason, they can rust quickly. I cut out something one time and did not remove the pins and ended up with rust marks all over, some of the pins were not in the seamline either. Now when I pin I try to keep it in the seams. Oh, and I try to keep the rest of the pattern stored with the cut pieces. Not that you really need those pesky instructions anyway, or would want to keep the pattern together so next time you grab the envelope to make it, ALL THE PIECES ARE THERE! Of course the remedy is to make it immediately! ............but for some reason, I just can't manage to do that! :-(
Old 09-01-2011, 05:08 AM

we all have days like that...I sometimes have weeks like that
Old 09-01-2011, 05:08 AM

Bad Hair Day!!!! Leave it be and try something else then go back to the binding. You would be surprised at how many times I have done the same unbelievable things over and over again. Tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:13 AM

That is so funny - I allow extra fabric when I measure my binding because I know I am going to have to cut off a number of connections where I joined the strips inside out or at 90 degrees, and I sit there with the book open to the page showing how to do it.
Now I don't feel so bad! I think there is something about bindings that must thwart even the most experienced quilter.
Cheer up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: