Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Something a nurse would say >

Something a nurse would say

Something a nurse would say

Old 01-03-2011, 11:41 PM

I am a retired nurse (Peds ICU and Public Health at the end of my career) and I agree with lorniki....the majority of these are fun to read, but I wouldn't make a quilt with many of them on it, and I certainly wouldn't display one in my home with that type of saying on it. Call me stuffy if you will. I have worked with many kinds of nurses....the caring AND the uncaring, and when I am the one in that hospital bed, you can bet I want mine to be caring. I think most of us would, and most of us would also want the same for those we love. Just my humble opinion.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 PM

Get undressed and put on this gown.

Here I'll warm up the stethoscope.

Sorry. Was the stethoscope cold?

Turn over. I need to take your temp.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:51 PM

By the way, I couldn't help noticing all the quilters posting here who are also nurses. Must be that nurturing instinct to offer comfort and caring to others. When we retire we make quilts so we can give them to those who could use a little warmth and coziness.

Thurma
Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by psychonurse
'If you don't take your medicine your going to have to have a shot"
" If you don't quit cussing your going to timeout"
" Your drug screen was positive for Cocaine"
What area of nursing do they work? We can give you quotes more in line with their particular area.
LOL...even without your screen name I'm pretty sure I can guess your area of expertise!
Penny (a former psych nurse)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 AM

Don't fall out of your wheelchair.
Leave you're foley cath alone.
Can you hear me?
Good grief your fingernails are brown again.
I'll be back in a minute. :):)
You're turn to answer that da__ light.

You probably realize by now the nurses have a warpped sense of humor. I'm a nurse and my DH just looks at me sometimes when I am talking to friends who are also nurses. He can't beleive we say such things even away from work.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 AM

We do have to be careful about what we say outside of work, in public, and even husbands and children are public! Out of context a lot of nursing stuff is scary!!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 AM

In our church group about half the people that turn out for projects are nurses, and I know so many nurses who love to quilt!

And you never know what careful attention to piecing appliqué and quilting will prepare you for.

When I work in the North - expanded role nursing - we do the work of family MDs, including some emergency repairs like minor suturing - stitches (for shallow wounds). The other nurses used to hand over patients needing suturing because I stitch evenly! And like doing neat repairs!

I tell patients, this is your lucky day, you have a quilter for a nurse. You won't even be able to see this cut when it's healed!! And it's true too - a lot of small stitches (after freezing) make a very good repair you can barely see. So! practice well on pretty fabric, ladies, you never know......
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 AM

Amazing how many nurses have responded and on a quilting board. Yes, sometimes it seems we have a warped sense of humor but that is what it takes sometimes to get us through the harsh realities of being a nurse. Nurses take care of everyone first and themselves last. I have to agree that the urge to quilt must be because we all are always trying to make others feel more comfortable. I admire those who choose be nurses now as the career has changed so much since I started back in the late 60's. And I say hats off to all the male nurses. Some of the best nurses I ever worked with were males.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:17 PM

The nurses in my much-revered MIL's doctor's office made a lap quilt for her 100 birthday. She died when she was 102. I have the little quilt now and it keeps her close to me every day.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 PM

"OPEN WIDE"
"THIS WON'T HURT"
"NEXT"
"THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU NOW"