Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Something you need to know

Hi...I ordered the Mariner's Compass book from them...I also was charged $7 for shipping...however, when the book was actually shipped, they had deducted $2 from that amount automatically...they only charge what it actually costs to ship...a great company!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by jmabby
    I would ask if they could send it media mail, much cheaper
    WRONG...most people do not realize that anything UNDER 13oz can actually ship cheaper going first class! Most times I can even add Delivery confirmation and still be lower than MEDIA...
    not true, the cutoff is about 7 ounces. For instance, a 13 ounce book is $2.41 media, $3.41 First class.
    You may both be right. Since we can only get Paypals required delivery confirmation on what's called a "1st class parcel" there is a point where is is not cheaper to send 1st class, and I'm pretty sure you nailed it at around 7 - 10 ounces.
    Media used to not be destination dependant - same price per pound no matter where it went, but now it isn't. So that explains the varience in price.
    actually just the opposite is true - Media Mail USED to have zones ( a long time ago) but now it is the same price if you are mailing across the country or next door.

And the good news is.... high priced government consultants are hard at work right now thinking of ways to make it even MORE confusing!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    Thanks for passing the info along. It's an example of what can be done when we become proactive, it's always good to find ways save ourselves money while getting items we want.
    We have to be our own advocates, no matter what the situation, right? Edie

Quote Originally Posted by mzmama
    I ordered a book last night. It was from a referral of another quilter on this board. The book was on sale, yea, we like sales. When I placed the order for $4.00, the shipping came up as $7.00 !!!!! I thought that was kind of high for a book, I don't need it in THAT much of a hurry. I sent an email and I got a response this morning, quite fast I thought, they said the computer put an automatic charge of $7.00 for shipping but they would adjust the charge when it was sent out. The shipping was adjusted to $2.00. Much better don't you think.
    It was, Phillips Fiber Art.com. IFY. It is alway good to hear about the companies that work with you, as well as, the ones that don't.
    I don't know who referred you..lol..maybe me..but I've order from Phillips Fiber art (a ruler) got a call for them personally and received 2 rulers for the price of one and got it in 48 hours..they were really great !! It is nice to hear the good side of things !!

Good to hear that they worked with you and good for us for future online buying!

Thanks!

Vat
    All of the delivery sources are ripping us off. The business that we order from, US Postal service, UPS, FEDx, etc., etc., etc. Ordering is not always the best way.

Thanks for the information. Great customer service. Like others have said, high shipping charges make some items not worth buying. I have decided not to buy several items on Ebay which are reasonable but have extraordinarily high shipping costs. I think they sell things cheap but make up for it with high shipping costs. I guess you have to consider the total cost of the item.

I ordered a book last night. It was from a referral of another quilter on this board. The book was on sale, yea, we like sales. When I placed the order for $4.00, the shipping came up as $7.00 !!!!! I thought that was kind of high for a book, I don't need it in THAT much of a hurry. I sent an email and I got a response this morning, quite fast I thought, they said the computer put an automatic charge of $7.00 for shipping but they would adjust the charge when it was sent out. The shipping was adjusted to $2.00. Much better don't you think.
    It was, Phillips Fiber Art.com. IFY. It is alway good to hear about the companies that work with you, as well as, the ones that don't.
    Yes indeed that was much better. You can ship books USPS Media Mail and depending on the weight and size, you may be able to ship for about $3.00 or under. If you want it shipped priority, again depending on the size, the one size fits all envelop is $4.95

$7.00 was a bit much and they were right to reduce that for you.

I do order on line quite often and sometimes when you get to the shipping (and handling), it's way more than the item is worth! So I never buy unless the price plus is worth it. You were fortunate that they adjusted for you.

Thanks for all the information....

Don't try that with Clotilde...they refuse to lower their "shipping and handling". I had the same issue with a pattern. The S&H was more than the pattern. Their response, "our S&H is based on the cost of items, not the postage and we include handling". I told them I would not purchase anything from them where the S&H was more than the price of the product. See if they can "handle" that. I stopped buying from them altogether, after their response.
    D inTX

Blog Entries
    So glad you checked this out!They did right by you.

Blog Entries
    A similar thing happened to me recently. I was attempting to order a box of gourmet chocolate's from a company in NYC. The box came to under $20 but it said the shipping charge was $46, WHAT! I didn't put the order though and the next day received an email from them saying the shipping should have said $12. Might pay to check with the company about shipping charges before placing any order online to make sure it's correct.

Shipping charges always shock me! I ship a lot of stuff around the country (not for sale, just to my sister and friends, care packages and the like) and it's never that expensive... but everytime I try to buy something online that I think is reasonably priced... BOOM! S&H costs!
    Good to know they worked with you... companies that are willing to help their customers will have repeat customers and recommendations.

I have purchased from them and they are always great.

Thanks for sharing the kind words about the company. I've never heard of them but will definitely check them out!

Thanks for the information. Shipping costs are usually one of the deciding factors in my purchases.

Blog Entries
    That's a great situation! I've found lately, that many companies will make adjustments if a problem occurs.

I recently wrote to P&G and got a $14 coupon for a product replacement and to a bread company and got a $5 Kroger card.

I also write to companies when they or their sales staff do a great job too.

I do believe communication is the key.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    A similar thing happened to me recently. I was attempting to order a box of gourmet chocolate's from a company in NYC. The box came to under $20 but it said the shipping charge was $46, WHAT! I didn't put the order though and the next day received an email from them saying the shipping should have said $12. Might pay to check with the company about shipping charges before placing any order online to make sure it's correct.
    :D Must be really gooood chocolate. BrendaK.

Thank you very much for the information. It is good to share our experiences. There are, unfortunately, folks out there that just love to hoodwink us; however, there are also many very honest folks making a living. I've met some terrific people in my Ebay transactions and will continue to buy from them as they treated me very fairly.

Power Poster
    It does come down to being an informed customer.

I almost always consider the cost of shipping as part of the cost of an item.

I know there are other buyers on this board that do, too.

In some ways, it does cost as much for the "handling" of a package of needles as for a ten pound book - advertsing the product, preparation of the label, invoicing, etc.

That said - there is no way that I will pay $25 shipping and handling on a $10 DVD for a total cost of $35.00

Nor will I pay $5.00 shipping on a package of needles that will slip into an ordinary "routine mail" envelope.

I love Phillips Fiber Art. They are the best!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I think it's show how really foolish it is for the business not to get the auto charge removed from the order submission. I don't understand taking the risk if losing a lot of orders over something so easy to change. When I see a high shipping charge I AUTO click cancel.
    guess what...some place do NOT have the option! Depending on what CART service they use..

I looked into opening a store on YAHOO instead of ebay...the way yahoo stores are set up, there was NO way to change the shipping model. I could not see charging $4.95 to ship a pattern that I could send for only $1.65! So, no yahoo store!
    You have good sense!
    Why would a business stay with or even choose a service that does this just because that's the way they are set up? Why waste my time inquiring about the cost of shipping when there shouldn't be a question to begin with.

I also have a problem with high shipping costs. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount. I have cancelled many order when you get to the end of the transaction and shipping is way out of line. I have a problem with Keepsake Quilting, I love their stuff, but shipping is expensive and takes 2 weeks or longer even paying the extra amount. I am in Texas and they are in New Hamphire, so when I called them they said you live very far from us.

The bottom line for me is I don't want to feel ripped off in shipping. I know the costs myself from shipping to others, if it is big and heavy, bite the bullet and pay the costs---it is fair. But the needles and patterns, etc. should be a min charge.

Suz
    My experience recently was for an order of four packs of titanium needles. They weighed almost 5 ounces (weighed same on my food scale). The shipping charge was $9.00 but the PO label read $2.39 (they had included a tote bag for free). These needles could have gone in a small business envelope. When I figured it all out, the savings for these needles was $.60.

I contacted them and related my disappointment and they credited me for the $9 which pleases me. It pays to at least let the supplier when you are unhappy with outrageous shipping charges.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast