Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sometimes they do listen... >

Sometimes they do listen...

Sometimes they do listen...

Old 10-08-2013, 02:05 PM

I think it is wonderful that he wants to quilt. I,m in awe when I see the quilts that men make.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

that's a good one. taught my son at a young age how to sew.
they need to learn that too, and I've been told home ec is no longer
in the schools.our kids need to learn this stuff somewhere.
good for you
Old 10-08-2013, 02:28 PM

I watched my grandson's from birth to 5 years old. They love to cook ( or least climb on bar to mix or something). My youngest has gone thru more bottles of Windex and Pledge then I can imagine. I did play boy things too, they were throwing balls since they were able to stand. We play in dirt, fight, and even played with dolls. They moved 2 weeks ago and I really miss that time. My husband who is city raised and his father didn't do anything ( i really mean anything) around house, had to learn how to wash his clothes. After he mastered ( in his mind) that, the next rule was I cook , you clean. No it's not perfect, but everyone, be it male or female should learn how to survive in life. Go for it Grandmaw teach him everything, cause football alone will not get you through life.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:45 PM

Thanks for my chuckle for the day! What a great response.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:08 PM

I taught all 4 of my sons to cook, clean, sew, do laundry, and iron. It served them well when they moved out on their own, could care for themselves. All of them didn't marry until in their 30's so they spent quite a bit of time living on their own. Now teaching my grandson and he is teaching ME about football so I understand his games more.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:15 PM

When my son was in the Air Force, I asked him if it was hard to keep things the way the AF wanted them and he said, " Mom, you make these guys look like pikers!" He did all the same things his sister had to do. Good thing, too, because his wife died and he raised two girls all by himself!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Back in the dark ages, when I was in jr. high they decided that the boys learn to cook and sew, and the girls took shop. The shop teacher wasn't too happy about the girls being in his class ( I might break a nail). but we learned to saw and nail. The boys learned to cook, bake, sew a button on, and even make a button hole by hand. Now they don't even have home econ.. It doesn't hurt a boy to play with a doll either, it makes them a good dad!!!!!!!! I like your grandson's response!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:37 PM

Children pick up more then we could ever imagine possible, then when they need it they pull it out and Gibbs slap ya with it, LOL Proud of that boy and you tell him so. All the children I had around over the years learned to cook, wash, and clean house and basic sewing, because I won't always be here to do it for them. They also learned to pump gas, check oil and tranny fluid and how often to change out all fluids in a car.

Last edited by valleyquiltermo; 10-08-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:40 PM

I'm glad my son was never interested in football. He was always reading and a computer nerd. He's 33 now and his job is a computer tech. He's married and knows how to clean, cook, and help my DIL with her cake decorating.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:42 PM

Your grandson's response was awesome, and I hope your daughter could laugh at her own preconceptions!

The more skills any of us know, the better we are suited to live in this world, and even if you don't choose to (or need to) use a particular skill you have grown by learning it, and by your understanding of others who specialize in that skill.

Alison-Still-Giggling