Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sometimes they do listen... >

Sometimes they do listen...

Sometimes they do listen...

Old 10-10-2013, 09:56 AM

I do need to clarify this...in defense of my daughter: She is the one I go to when I need help "fixing" thins...cars, household repairs, etc. She has her own tools and does a better job then either one of my sons. Also...when she was 8 years old, she wanted to play Little League baseball, and did...on a boy's team. She even wanted to wear a "cup" because the boys all had one, so I let her! That lasted one game and she was done with baseball! At least she tried, and stood up for her right to do so! She is a mother who teaches her son and two step children to make their own lunch, take their turn at doing the dishes and they all do their own laundry. So she is not really as sexist as that statement made her seem. But she still won't buy Billy a pink shirt...and he won't wear one either! Lol
Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Good for him...Keep teaching and encouraging him....
Old 10-10-2013, 04:45 PM

My nephew likes to quilt. He's the kind of kid who always needs something to do, so when he's visiting and bored he gets some scraps and sews.

He asked me once if it was ok if boys sewed. My response - you never have too many skills. Someday being able to sew may mean the difference between eating and not eating. So, yeah, it's ok if boys sew.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:54 PM

While unrelated to quilting...I taught all my kids and step kids to do their own laundry and made them continue all through their high school years. Many years later, one of the step sons came to me and thanked me for doing that. I asked him why he thanked me as he hated doing his own laundry he said, "Well, when you live with a bunch of guys, it is nice to be the only one who doesn't have pink briefs!" One of my daughters can change the oil on her car faster than the guy at Jiffy Lube. They all, boys and girls, should learn the necessities. That includes sewing! Zippers don't replace themselves, nor do buttons magically jump back on when they have fallen off.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:29 PM

Before Ricky Tims was THE Ricky Tims, he came to our local quilt guild as a speaker one night. I took my nephew, who was about 12 at the time to show him that guys can be creative, etc. Ricky was so nice to him, spent time talking with him and asking what he was interested in. He's an all outdoor guy now, but he still has an appreciation for art and color and my quilting.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:32 AM

I have all sons, something I had in common with my late MIL. She made sure all 3 of her boys could cook, clean and sew. She didn't want any of them to have to rely on a woman for anything. Of my three sons, my youngest who is 9 is waiting to be old enough to sew on a machine. I got him started the same way my mother did and he's sewing buttons in the shape of his initials on something that will eventually be a little pillow. My middle son 11, is the only boy in stitchery club at school. It's for knitting, crocheting and some types of needle work. He loves it. The girls all think he's cute and he has only gone 3 times, but knits as good as they do. I never learned to knit, just crochet. My oldest is 12 and can't be outdone. He sees how my middle one is doing at knitting so he wants to do it too. A friend of the family came over to try and teach him. He needs a few more lessons. If he still doesn't get it, i'll give him crochet lessons instead. My 12 year old has an amazing eye for color and I take him with me whenever I'm looking for coordinating fabrics.