Sometimes they do listen...

Sometimes they do listen...

Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM

Roger Moore also did needlepoint

delma
Old 10-09-2013, 01:07 PM

You go Grandma. Whatever it takes
Old 10-09-2013, 01:47 PM

I believe there is a difference between men and women, both in strengths and weaknesses.

For one, hormones are different. Testosterone tends to cause men to be more agressive. Estrogen tends to cause women to be more nurturing. And environment has an affect. Is this a strength or weakness. Probably both.

Generally, gross motor skills are more developed in men and fine motor skills are more developed in women. And environmnt has an affect. Is this a strength or weakness. Probably both.

It isn't the labor, natural talent and/or skills that makes the difference. It isn't sensitivity or agressiveness. It isn't cultural heritage.

These are all related to the body in which we live.

All of the talents are needed to survive in this world. In any given situation, wisdom is required to decide the best action to take. If single, a man/woman need to strengthen the more common weaker areas to survive and curb the dominant strenghs.

My husband's skills and mine complement and buffer each other. By the way, I'm better at math and physics even though he's an engineer. And he's better at people skills even though I'm a dietitian. We were both highly influenced by the acceptible man and woman expected roles of our time. If it had been the current atmosphere, I'd have chosen architecture. I'm very grateful for what I've learned through my career. I'd rather have been able to learn more truths about myself by a society that looks at what God meant to be the inner core of a man or woman.

So, what does make a man or woman? Is it the body, soul and/or spirit than determines gender?
Old 10-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings View Post
My daughter came over to pick up her son, Billy. He had spent the weekend with me...which he does a lot. He was going thru my stash looking for fabric for me to make a doll quilt for a friend's birthday. His mom said..."Are you teaching my son to quilt? He's a boy...teach him football"! My grandson, who is 10 years old, looked at her and said.."Don't you know about Ricky Tims"?

I laughed so hard...but I was proud of him!!

He's up for MAN OF THE YEAR, already. Foo on mom.,
Old 10-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
Yeah, Mom. I love it. If he likes it, he should go for it. And don't forget what sewing did for Eddie Bauer and Calvin Klein. I really like that he was picking fabric for a gift.
Look how much birthday gift money he can save if he makes things himself.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Give that boy a hug from me! My son cooks, sews on buttons, and irons. By 7th grade he was responsible for his own laundry.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:30 PM

My now16 yr old GS took cooking and sewing in the 9th grade. He plays baseball.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:33 PM

that is great!!! My son just turned 6 and he helps me sew and he likes to make ricebags and make pillows. I just let him quilt his first wall hanging on the long arm(we had him standing on some stair steppers so he could see what he was doing). I think it's great for guys of any age to learn how to do it.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:53 PM

Way to go! Nothing at all wrong with a young man learning the "domestic" chores, will make him more attractive to the gals! No, no, I'm not rushing him...I realize he's only 10!

My DH was the oldest and only boy amongst 6 sisters. His mom taught him to sew, clean, cook, do laundry right along with the girls. I often tell people he keeps house better than I do (which is true). He sure sews a heck of a lot better than I do and I often go to him with my quilting conundrums! He's an engineer so he helps with math questions for resizing blocks, fixes my machine and "sees" where I've gone astray with design.

I say, grandma, go for it! Teach the young lad to quilt...teach a boy to quilt and he'll never be cold!

Anita
Old 10-09-2013, 05:37 PM

My father, born in 1918, sewed all his life. In fact, I just assumed all men sewed until I got to be a teenager and the friends I brought home were amazed to see my father at the sewing machine sewing away!