Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sometimes they do listen... >
  • Sometimes they do listen...

• Sometimes they do listen...

Old 10-09-2013, 08:03 AM

My DH could not cook, sew or clean, but he got over it after we had been married for a while and I ended up being the sole bread winner temporarily. Now he helps around the house pretty often and never complains when I ask him to do any of those tasks.
    Conversely, he taught our daughters car maintenance and they can change their oil, change a flat, check for all the fluid levels and drive stick shift and a loaded tractor.

Last edited by Iraxy; 10-09-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 AM

Yeah, Mom. I love it. If he likes it, he should go for it. And don't forget what sewing did for Eddie Bauer and Calvin Klein. I really like that he was picking fabric for a gift.
    Old 10-09-2013, 08:20 AM

Guys have always sewn thru the ages. I'm proud of him.
    Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 AM

I tried for many, many years to teach my daughter to sew, with absolutely no luck. She had absolutely no interest. Even now, and she's in her mid-30's, she asks me to make or mend or hem all of her stuff. I still do it, but the tradeoff is ... when my DGS (who turns 4 today!) is old enough to pay attention for more than 5 seconds, I get to teach HIM to sew and quilt. I am hoping that he will be more interested and talented than his mom (who is my dearest love, so I'm not demeaning her, just telling the truth). My mother was a very talented sewer, as were both of my grandmothers and my great-grandmother was a ladies' dressmaker in the very early 20th Century; so I guess I inherited the gene from them, because neither of my sisters could sew. Perhaps my DGS has been the one to "inherit" that part of me. We can only hope.

I am of the belief that gender doesn't matter, everyone should be taught the basics, for survival if nothing else.
    Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 AM

I think men quilting is great. They have strong arms and shoulders to cut the layers and handle the quilt under the machine.
    Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 AM

Tell him about Larry Flynn, Robert Callaham (author and designer for McCall's). Robert also designs a fabric line for Red Rooster - - and Kaffee Fassett, a very well known designer, author and quilter. He also does other kinds of needlework - crochet, knitting and I think even tatting.

We have a man in my guild who is extremely talented with his quilting. There are some men on this board - also very talented. I know of some men who are very good at long arm quilting.

Go guys!

Jane
    Old 10-09-2013, 10:52 AM
    Power Poster

You should indeed be proud of him, especially for knowing who Ricky Tims is, along with the great number of quilters out there who are men. Mainly because my husband never learned to cook, I made sure my son did learn as he was interested, my daughter not so much. I remember him taking food prep in high school (lots of boys did as there were lots of girls in the classes). Now he and my DIL work long hours between work, taking care of an active 3 year old daughter (who is so precious), and my DS started nursing school last month; so they share the cooking, as well as Zoe's care. He's always been a great dad and I couldn't be prouder of him.
    Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 PM

My mother taught my brother, sister and I to sew, cook, clean, iron and do laundry. My father taught all of us how to change a tire, change spark plugs, change the oil, do home repairs, plumbing and electric repairs as well. We lived on a farm where everyone had to know how to "fix" a little bit of everything. It has served all of us well.
    Old 10-09-2013, 12:22 PM

How about John Flynn? Haven't you heard of him? He's a tall engineer, and used to build bridges until he got full-time into quilting to "relax". He has contributed a lot to this quilting world. He learned much about quilting from his wife and they taught their daughter. He taught me how to be accurate to 1/32nd of an inch, btw, and I appreciate it. He has invented a number of things quilters use; I like his frame. In fact, I know of several male quilters and they are quite talented, too.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 10-09-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Old 10-09-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by fayzer
    Guys have always sewn thru the ages. I'm proud of him.
    Agreed. My grandmother, who was a professional seamstress with her own business for 60 years, taught my big, strong, very masculine father to sew and iron and fix machines; together, they taught me. I am so grateful that they did. It's a set of skills and a hobby I've enjoyed pretty much daily for decades. They are both gone now, but the skills are alive and active with me, and I teach others, too.