Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sore bottom >

Sore bottom

Sore bottom

Old 10-30-2015, 04:45 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...se-t83147.html
There is this thread here on the QB. Someone at the last quilt retreat had one but I didn't ask how they liked it. I figured they did or they wouldn't be using it. There are other brands that run less money. It might be worth a try.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

My PT friend had me put my sewing machine low and my chair high. Never hunch shoulders or jut out your neck to sew. You should be able to just tilt your head down. Back straight. I can sew for hours with no problems once I made this posture a habit. I remember sitting this way in school when posture was important and taught. The shorter kids had cushions to be at proper table height. I don't think kids are being taught proper posture in school now.
Oh if you are in a workshop try stacking two chairs to be at a better height.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:18 AM

So, after reading all this...is there any place to check at how high a cutting table should be or the sewing machine and the chair? Different heights for people should make different heights for these items, right? Lately, there have been news segments on not bending our necks so much for cell phone/computer/iPad, etc. use...so would like to have a better height to the sewing machine. Or????
Old 10-30-2015, 05:29 AM

Yes, if I spend to much time sewing without taking a break.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My PT friend had me put my sewing machine low and my chair high. Never hunch shoulders or jut out your neck to sew. You should be able to just tilt your head down. Back straight. I can sew for hours with no problems once I made this posture a habit. I remember sitting this way in school when posture was important and taught. The shorter kids had cushions to be at proper table height. I don't think kids are being taught proper posture in school now.
Oh if you are in a workshop try stacking two chairs to be at a better height.
Agree with all said here.....the nuns were strick about posture, but now as I am older, I appreciate it.....also, dad showed me how to walk straight, balancing a book atop of my head.......I'm positive the children today are not taught correct posture...just look at how they "slump" when they walk......and manners, proper English.....all things of the past..........
Old 10-30-2015, 06:07 AM

I get up often & stretch & walk a little or do a little something else for a while. I have a bad back & hips so I have to do this or I wouldn't be able to sew. You sure need breaks even short ones seem to help. I know it is hard to take a break when you are on a roll but it is necessary & you just have to make yourself do it.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:04 AM

I purchased an adjustable footrest and it has made a world of difference. Have had lower back surgery and this keeps my hips and legs in proper alignment.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:25 AM

I have bursitis in both hips plus a blown disc in the lower back so sitting or standing is a problem for me. I tend to sew for a short period, then get up and press, cut or whatever for a short period. Then go back to the sewing machine, etc. When I'm at the quilting machine, I do the same with alternating sitting and standing. Relieves some of the pressure but not all. I also have issues with both feet so standing for too long a period makes them hurt too. Its just not fair.........now that we're retired and have the time to spend doing what we love to do, our bodies fight us. As I tell my friends, my spirit is willing but my body can't keep up with the pace.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I'm either in front of a computer, sewing machine or the car. I do take breaks and often because of what computers can often affect the eyes. Cell phones just as bad. I fell a few decades ago leaving my apartment with my son. The steps were icy and I went down 6 icy steps on my tailbone. My bottom was definitely very sore. Had a doctor's appointment that next Monday for a yearly. My bottom was still sore. When my doctor saw my bottom he nearly passed out and his nurse did pass out. Sent me over for exrays and I had fracture my tailbone and hairline cracked my pelvis. Surgery could've left me paralyzed so of course I opted not on the surgery. Sat on a lot of pillows and every once in awhile I get a twinge if I try to get up sideways. My son was 5 so that was in "77". Scoliosis on top of that doesn't help. Amazing though I gave birth in "79" to an 8 lb. baby boy and not by C-section. I get up off my keester as much as I can and sometimes just more comfortable on it. The more I sit the wider my seat gets and that needs to stop.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:26 AM

I have some kind of issue with staying in one position too long. I begin to stiffen, and it has (once!) gotten to the point I was stuck in a chair until DH came home. I set up my sewing room in areas. (Kind of like my kindergarten classroom was divided into activity areas.) sewing is in front of a window, on an old teachers desk, with a low office chair, ironing in the corner, cutting in the center of the room, cat perch in another corner so they can watch like the vultures they are lol, and two large dogs sprawled in what ever walkway I need to use next.... I move constantly to avoid the stiffening. Sew, iron, sew, iron, sew iron, better than aerobics.