Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sore bottom >

Sore bottom

Sore bottom

Old 10-30-2015, 03:35 PM

Maybe you need an additional cushion on your chair. I can't think of any other reason that you might get sore. Good luck figuring it out.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Mine sometimes falls asleep and I always hope that it doesn't start snoring.

On the serious side: I recently started having severe pain in my right hip after sewing. Realized two things. I didn't sit centered in front of the needle and my chair had a tilt to the right. When I changed chair and position, all the pain stopped.

Have you thought about getting one of those blue bubble pillows with knobs? A friend of mine uses it and she loves it.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:53 PM

Me too, mamagrande!
Old 10-30-2015, 07:17 PM

A lot of men and their doctors have traced their back problems to sitting on their wallet in their back pocket, so yes, sitting cocked slightly sideways in your sewing chair can cause problems. If you can teach yourself to use both feet on the controller and alternate frequently, it will probably help. I've found the most helpful people for these kinds of pain are physical therapists. They will put hands on to identify the painful muscles or nerves involved and advise you of a program to relieve the pain and prevent it. Then it's just up to us to actually put the new information into practice. And keep doing it. Easier said than done. Sort of like dieting...
Old 10-30-2015, 09:16 PM

I deal with osteoarthritis in knees/hips--have had both knees replaced and after last replacement not quit a year ago, I managed to total a car 4 months later and fractured my sternum and spent a month in the recliner and now have blood clots in that leg. I've also had surgery on a shoulder have arthritis in both shoulders. What I've learned is you HAVE TO GET UP regularly as otherwise you run into "body" problems. I have my iron set up across the room, the cutting table is high enough I don't lean over and it requires me to get up, too. I've also set my machine so that when I'm sitting in my chair with feet flat on the floor, the table/machine is set so my arms form 90degree angle at the elbow. I also set up a BigLook magnifying set-up on the machine---not only does it allow me to see what I'm sewing without lean over, but it actually forces me to sit up straight otherwise it distorts what I see. And sometimes I put a heated cornpad on my shoulders! A friend who has lots of arthritis has 2 machines--one for sitting down and one she stands at--said when she worked in a sewing factory the standing machines were used to prevent aches/pains. Haven't tried that but can see how it would work! One thing I take to retreats is the heated, massaging electric chair pad for the chair I take (chairs always too low for the tables) and everyone laughs and then wants to try it out.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:40 AM

My quilting DIL bought me one for Christmas last year. She also got one. She likes hers, I have a problem sitting on mine. I tended to lose my balance on it so hubby took some air out, actually quite a bit of air, and I can sit on it but not my favorite gift. There are other women who like them at our retreats, guess it's a you do or you don't issue. I don't.

Originally Posted by Dogwood Quilter View Post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...se-t83147.html
There is this thread here on the QB. Someone at the last quilt retreat had one but I didn't ask how they liked it. I figured they did or they wouldn't be using it. There are other brands that run less money. It might be worth a try.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dogwood Quilter View Post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...se-t83147.html
There is this thread here on the QB. Someone at the last quilt retreat had one but I didn't ask how they liked it. I figured they did or they wouldn't be using it. There are other brands that run less money. It might be worth a try.
I bought a "sit upon" and do not like it. It felt like it was rocking me around and I have a feeling of dizziness if I don't keep my equilibrium steady.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:56 AM

My cutting station and Ironing board are on the other side of our family room, so I have to get up an walk quite frequently. I also find that if I do laundry while I'm sewing, I have to get up and fold laundry and start the next load. This works for getting me and moving every 30 minutes or so. Free Motion Quilting is the worst for my neck and shoulders, so I get up every few minutes and do big arm circles and stretches- especially when working with a large quilt.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I was given advice about eyesight a few years ago. I was told to -- every 20 minutes, stare for 20 seconds at something that is 20 feet away. I am wondering if we can adapt this to the sewing chair. Every 20 minutes, get up and move about the room and do something else for just a bit. Even if we just put something away, or go to the kitchen and get a glass of iced tea.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 AM

there are these wonderful "cushions" made out of the same stuff as the balance balls, that have little fingers that project up, which really help. I have my ADHD and Asperger's clients get them for when they have to study or sit a long time. They make you automatically shift weight so that you don't stay on any one set of muscles for any length of time.