Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Source of 2GB flash drives >

Source of 2GB flash drives

Source of 2GB flash drives

Old 10-21-2013, 06:47 PM

I am totally computer stupid. Why is there such a big price difference between sticks? I looked at walmart.com and saw many 2g. Prices were from 3.00 to over 100.00 dollars. Why? Also how do you back up drives? Does this mean flash drives, put them on a larger stick. Thats what Ive done not knowing if thats right.

Last edited by snipforfun; 10-21-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 PM

Here is a link to many different 2 gb flash drives at Amazon. When you read reviews, read the newer one because if there is a problem with a batch it is usually fixed before the next batch. Also, some of the items are for multiples.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...nid=1259751011
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I am a newbie with my emb machine and at the class was told this is the size I need and that they were very hard to find but she some there...I bought...$20...... That is why I am asking for help/info/sources here. Thanks for the leads I will follow up
Are you saying she sold you one 2GB flash drive for $20?!?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
I am totally computer stupid. Why is there such a big price difference between sticks? I looked at walmart.com and saw many 2g. Prices were from 3.00 to over 100.00 dollars. Why? Also how do you back up drives? Does this mean flash drives, put them on a larger stick. Thats what Ive done not knowing if thats right.
The expensive ones have encryption/security features that you won't need. Unless you work for the FBI, and are using it to take files on holidays with you or something... For 2GB drives, you should be paying around $5. Anything more than that is for a fancier case, or features (like security) that you don't need, and might make it not work with your machine.

To back up drives, yes, copy the files to a second location. So you can back up your flash drive to your hard drive or another flash drive, or back up your computer's hard drive onto an external drive, etc. Windows has backup software built in, and larger flash drives often come with backup programs if that works better for you.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:39 AM

Some machine dealers want you to buy the branded stick. "It won't void your warranty" and that costs more.

A lot of the other sticks have some sort of info or other stuff on them. I format the sticks before use as I don't need whatever the files are for. Most of those files won't work with embroidery machine extensions, nor do they handle Photoshop's native or Adobe Illustrator. SD cards have them, too. Sandisk always has extra files on them. I use those cards in the camera, and they don't do anything about RAW format.

If you do find some reasonably priced, buy a couple. They can fail. I've had the USB ends come loose.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 10-22-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
My sewing machine dealer sells them for $20 too but not to me! Robbery!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
My sewing machine dealer sells them for $20 too but not to me! Robbery!
Oh, my gosh! She probably buys them by the bushel, for dirt cheap! Maybe someone on the QB should buy a bunch and then sell them, for whatever each one actually costs (adding enough for mailing, of course). Every now and then, we receive a free 2GB one with some sort of advertising . . . so you know they're being sold somewhere, for next to nothing.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
2g are getting harder to find. Hint: store your designs on larger flash drives (8, 16) , then copy the designs you are going to use to the 2g drive. Use that drive in your machine, when done, delete the 2g drive and use again.
Remember to always back up your drives...don't want to loose anything
Thanks much for that hint...this is a new adventure, and this is a great idea. I have, since posting the question here, looked around and have found a few sources reasonably priced....I don't think I will need a lot of these, but better to have them on hand just in case...thanks all
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 AM

Our LQS has a cute selection of sewing themed 2G flash drives (measuring tapes, spools of thread).

Cheers, K
Old 10-23-2013, 12:22 PM

I buy mine from oempcworld.com (with free shipping). I prefer to buy the smaller capacity (128MB or 256 MB), for under $4. I have a bunch of them, so there are only a few designs (by category) on each one...it's easier to search through them to find what I want than if I had tons of designs on one flash drive. Just a personal preference (based on a suggestion from my Janome dealer).