Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Space... The Final Frontier Quilt Help Needed >

Space... The Final Frontier Quilt Help Needed

Space... The Final Frontier Quilt Help Needed

Old 11-21-2009, 03:39 AM

Hi All,

Ater making so many quilts for family, friends and Quilts Of Valour, I've decided that 2010 is going to be 'my' applique year again for my very own quilt. I've suddenly realised that I've only finished up with one quilt for DH and my use.

But, even with my absolute love of the subject, STAR TREK lol I think I'm going to need some help here. I must admit it's been one of my favourite programmes since I was a kid.

The only idea I have come up with is the "Attic Window" block in various sizes with space themed fabric as the large back fabric. Within some of these blocks I thought of appliqueing some items/symbols that would automatically make you think of Star Trek. ie, the badge, the 3D chess set, the Enterprise... heck, I might even add a furry little tribble!!
From that, I thought of adding a tall ST figure with their back facing as thought they are looking at these objects and through the windows.

The problems I'm having at the moment is locating some space fabric from a UK shop. I've seen some star fabric... it was nice but it's not what I'm looking for so any links would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone have any colour suggestions/pictures for the other fabric pieces and the sashing?

As you can gather, I haven't even started drawing up designs yet, so any help, suggestions or other ideas for a Star Trek quilt would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help
Damkina
Old 11-21-2009, 03:53 AM

How cool. Maybe you could make the onlookers as you and hubby-unit, fading as though being transported... maybe with Vulcan ears.

Are you keeping to classic Star Trek, or the whole series?
Old 11-21-2009, 03:56 AM
farscapegal

I am a huge Farscape fan. It is a sci fi show that was made in Australia. I have made several quilts based on the show.

2 are quote quilts. I picked out some of my favorite quotes and put them on the quilts.

1 is a wormhole quilt (wormholes have a big meaning in Farscape).

1 is a huge wall hanging of the hers's face.

I am in the process of doing one with pictures that I am printing on fabric of different scenes from the show.

I didn't use any "space" fabric just used fabrics to represent different aspects of the show. One of the quote quilts I did in earth colors (orange and browns) to represent the ship that they rode on. The other quote quilt I did in blues and purples to represent the two leads who were in love with each other.

Have fun.

Sybil

Old 11-21-2009, 04:31 AM

Moonpi, I like your idea of adding DH and myself and adding the Vulcan ears is now a definite to the list. lol! Not sure how to do the Transporter, though.

I love the orignal series, and now the new film has come out... it's awesome so I would liket to keep to that style! And I would love to get hold of some of that shirt fabric.

Farscapegal, I've seen some episodes of Farscape a while ago when we could get it on cable, and can see why you like it and made so many quilts with the Farscape theme. That quotes idea is great... something I could have a tiffle with. I hadn't thought of printing the fabric but it would be ideal for adding my favourite star constellations and nebulae.

I'm going to be getting the 'needed' list together this week and hunting for pictures. Can't wait to get started on it. :D Thanks again

Damkina

Old 11-24-2009, 07:07 AM

http://www.4my3boyz.com

Try here too, she's got loads of themed fabrics. Good luck!

My DD has designed a CSI themed quilt that she is slowly gathering the fabrics for, we even found one that had crime scene tape on it!! Doing themed quilts can be lots of fun, specially in the designing and hunting for fabric phase.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:29 PM

Thanks so much for posting the link. So many great fabrics to drool over that I wasn't even looking for and now want :D .

I best not let my nephew hear about a CSI quilt at the moment... I'd never hear the last of it. Would your DD be willing to keep us updated as to her progress?