Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Speaking of Christmas Gifts. . . . >

Speaking of Christmas Gifts. . . .

Speaking of Christmas Gifts. . . .

Old 07-11-2018, 10:38 AM

I made this one for a friend's bday gift and she loves it. I plan to make these for DILs for Christmas. It is easy to follow her instructions. She has lots of free bags and accessories and is very generous with sharing them for free. Her channel and blog is Sewspire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZGGi5vt4QU&t=820s
Old 07-11-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
I made this one for a friend's bday gift and she loves it. I plan to make these for DILs for Christmas. It is easy to follow her instructions. She has lots of free bags and accessories and is very generous with sharing them for free. Her channel and blog is Sewspire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZGGi5vt4QU&t=820s
Wow...That is awesome! Thanks for the info. Can't wait to make several!
Old 07-11-2018, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

I just use the plastic store bags and return them for recycle.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:35 PM

YouTube has a Market Bag by Sailrite that we have made several times. We use clearance home dec fabric from Joann.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wEnaFutDodg&t=24s
Old 07-11-2018, 07:32 PM

I have also made many bags from sunflower seed bags. Like osewme was say they are very sturdy. And the graphics on some are gorgeous.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:41 AM

My problem/issue with the bags I made for myself is that they would not stand on their own to be filled, there is no place to put them in the "bag area" of the check out counter, either at the cashier area or if self check out that bag area. I finally gave up on making my own and just purchase the ones that the grocery stores sell, about a dollar each and seem to last a long time. And when they bite the dust, I just invest another dollar for a new one. They stand on their own and fit in front of the plastic ones hanging at the register area. To clarify: I live in a state that still allows plastic bags, and I generally use self check out so I can bag as I want.....all cold together, produce together, keep the bags from becoming too heavy, etc. Some of those bagging people don't think that putting all the canned goods, detergents etc in the same bag might be a problem for a little ole lady to carry! And a lot of stores now, don't offer carryout service to help with your bags. Publix is the only one around here that still offers for someone to help you to your car.
Please forgive this mini rant, grocery store bags have become a pet peeve for me. and I am still trying to find the impossible perfect solution! BUT I will NOT go back to those flimsy plastic, horrendous bags that are still in use in so many parts of this country!
Battle on,
Murphy
Old 07-12-2018, 03:30 AM

I've also made bags from pet food bags. They do hold up very well. My biggest issues with commercially made bags are those that have no stiff bottom and also that the handles are generally too long for me. I'm 5'2" so if I grab the bags by the top of the handles, the bags practically drag on the ground as I'm carrying them, lol. Then there is the issue of remembering to take them back out to the car and then back into the store for continued use...sigh.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:37 AM

Murphy, there is stiffener made for making bags that keeps the bags upright. Pellon makes a few of them. One I've used is Soft and Stable.

Watson
Old 07-12-2018, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
YouTube has a Market Bag by Sailrite that we have made several times. We use clearance home dec fabric from Joann.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wEnaFutDodg&t=24s
Wow!! This is a great tut. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2018, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

I use them all the time but have never made any. They've either been really cheap to buy or freebies.