Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Speaking of white fabric-newbie question

Speaking of white fabric-newbie question

I have several white on white fabrics purchased at actual Quilt stores that to me are not good quality as I can see through them when ironing the seams over.
    Is that normal? or should I have a thicker quality fabric for the money I paid? or is that just the nature of the beast. It seems every one does this no matter what.
    still learning about this so any comments welcome.

Welcome Pattia!!!
    from one of your provincial quilting mates!

WOWs seems to do that more than others.
    If you can, press away from the white, though I know that's not always possible.

Keep in mind that you will have the white batting in behind that may help minimize what you are seeing right now. Try laying your block on some batting to see if that helps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you QuiltE, I will try that.
    so many new things to learn-so many questions. lol

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board Pattia!

I agree with QuiltE!
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Make sure you wash/dry the fabric first. Sometimes the bit of shrinkage helps, making it a bit denser.

Blog Entries
    There was a recent thread about white or cream backgrounds and some posters talked about the white on white fabrics being thin. Most recommended washing them first to close up the weave a little (by shrinking) and then they aren't as thin and see thru http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t188944.html
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Power Poster
    Light fabrics always show the seams more than dark fabrics. As for quality of the white on white, I have found that fabric quality is going down hill. I've given up trying to find a good quality muslin anymore. I go with a Kona cotton or good quality white on white.

Blog Entries
    most whites the seams can be seen through while pressing- once the quilt is put together-with batting & backing it becomes much less apparent. it is normal for pretty much any light (colored) fabric= the batting helps make them disappear- laundering also helps....but it is normal-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    If we can put a man on the moon, why can't somebody make a good quality white fabric???? I feel your pain Pattia...

Carole

LOL Carole how true. I have seen some stunning quilts with a lot of white grounds so it must work for somebody.
    Patti

Welcome from Milwaukee, Pattia

thank you Christine, I have yet to go over to introduce myself on the board officially
    =)

I agree with quiltE. Once the batting is in place, that's the background for the white.

I have had this problem also. I do look for ones that are not "too" transparent, usually with a white on white print. Washing/drying first definitely helps and once you sandwich it with white batting, it comes out beautifully. Once the piecing is done it helps to make sure there isn't any darker fabric peaking out from under the white on that occasion when you have to press to the light side, if it does, it doesn't hurt to trim a little off so it stays behind the white. You will also want to make sure your darker threads are clipped from the back so they don't show through.

When you wash the completed quilt for the first time, don't be alarmed when you see the darker colors through the white while wet (ask me how I know), once dry it'll be just fine!

Thank you all, such good advice.
    Patti

I haven't found a white fabric, not even Kona, that you can't see a seam thru.....best idea is to try to press away from the white if you can

Definitely try to press away as much as possible. I know that once you get a quilt layered and quilted, and then if you wash it up after it'd done you definitely don't notice any seems peeking through. I make a lot of quilts with white (bella solids more than kona) and haven't had any issues with those solids. I don't know about the white on white prints, I just never like the feel of them because it feels more like a screen print tshirt than typical print fabrics, and I don't like that.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all about the information on washing the white fabric to make it denser. I've avoided white fabric for the reason mentioned (too shear) but may give it a try now.

I use white on white quite a bit as my background canvas in MOD quilting and have never had problems with it being to thin. I buy by the bolt every few weeks. I consider what I buy of good sturdy quality.
    clsurz

I wonder if the dyeing of the fabric has anything to do with the denseness.....the added thickness of the various dyes would, I think, bulk up the weaving threads, and possibly because the white is the "natural" color of the thread, they are thinner in the weaving process. Just a thought, don't know if my thinking process is reasonable....

Yes, white is easier to see the seam through than darkroom colors . Very often you can press away from the white, but if you can't, make sure that there is not also a bit of dark fabric showing behind the white. What I mean is if the white is joined to a dark, and you have to press the seam toward the white, sometimes if your seams are not matching absolutely dead-on, you'll see a sliver of darker fabric sticking out behind the white seam, and that will REALLY show if you don't trim it off a bit.

WOWs seems to do that more than others.
    If you can, press away from the white, though I know that's not always possible.

Keep in mind that you will have the white batting in behind that may help minimize what you are seeing right now. Try laying your block on some batting to see if that helps.[/QUOTE]
    I agree. Hi and welcome to the QB!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

White simply is a more transparent color just the nature of the beast. You must remember when quilting it to use a white batting, anything else will shadow through.

saf
    Hello and welcome from the UK. I bought some cream fabric last week on line that was very thin and flimsly. Even after washing this showed the under seams badly. I asked advice on the board about Kona and Bella solids and then bought some Kona natural and following advice from the ladies here, washed it. The Kona fabric was a better quality to start with and washing seemed to make it a little 'denser'. I'm certainly much happier with this than the fabric I originally bought.

Washing vs non-washing. Now there is a good topic. All I can tell you, as a new quilter, one teacher washes always, the other never washes as she likes the look of a quilt after its wash, looks older? Anyway, if you wash your material, make sure to treat it with starch before cutting. As I have washed and ended up with a screwed up block. Then did it again, after being told to starch "well" before cutting, and it came out acurate.