Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A special wedding dress >

A special wedding dress

A special wedding dress

Old 11-22-2009, 08:15 PM

If you have 2 years you can make some practice dresses using patterns close to what you want in fashion fabric first, then try something in wedding fabric. by the time you need it you will have a good idea what you can do, and I'm sure you can do anything you set your mind to.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM

I completely agree with you. A wedding dress should be special and make a girl feel like a princess. Evey girl knows what she wants to achieve that.
I told her my suggestion, told her she can say no but she would like to see what I have in mind. At the very least, she will have a skirt to wear out of the cotton I will practice on!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 AM

That would be great! I tried to put the one pattern out there but failed so help would be great. Might help people to understand and provide more help.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:47 AM

That is my hope that 2 years will get a perfect pattern. It will give me time to cut pieces, take my time and not rush. Getting the pattern is the hardest thing.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 AM

I love your idea, and I think you will be a great mother in law, becasue you already love her so much, and want to show how special you think she is. Keep that attitude, and you should have a great, loving relationship for years to come.

I am afraid I agree that to make the dress may be quite an undertaking, and not to discourage you, but satins or silks are very slippery to work with for experienced quilters or seamstresses.

And I wonder if the Butterick pattern would work with that type of fabric, it seems to want heavier fabric (denim, linen). That might mean that a different hang or something if a different fabric is used.

If your daughter in law to be says she has other plans for a dress, I have a few suggestions, that would still allow you to use your dresses and allow you to make something special for her.

1- if she is having a dress made, ask if maybe the large sections of your skirts, could be used on the bodice of her gown. That way it is still your dresses, and still her own too.

2- if she is buying a ready made, depending on the style, perhaps you could have a belt/bow made to attach.

3- make a short train from your 2 dresses, which can attach/detach from her dress. She could have a train for the wedding, then remove it for the reception.

4- ask the dressmaker/bridal shop for some of the fabric used in her purchased dress, to add to what you have. Then anything you do, will coordinate.

5- make a shawl for her shoulders or a simple shrug (as so many dresses are sleeveless), so she will stay warm after the ceremony

6- make a ring bearer pillow

7- make a photo album using the fabrics from your dresses

And most importantly - do not be discouraged. We are trying to help, to be sure that you see the down side. But, we all had first projects, and some of the first projects that have been posted here have been amazing!

Good luck and let us know what you do, we want to see pics!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 AM

Thank you so much for these ideas! I had not thought of the shrug.
I came to this site to get the help you all are suggesting. I think it is wonderful that you are telling me all the things that can go wrong and all the mistakes and difficulties I will encounter. This is what I wanted to have and again, thanks!
Please keep the ideas coming. All thought welcome!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:02 PM

Wow! So much has happened on this thread in a few days!!

I guess I had assumed the DIL was on board with this. I agree with the group that it could be dangerous to jump into this without her whole hearted approval.

I'm pretty sure I could hold a grudge against a mother-in-law that took over my wedding. Tread lightly. See what your son knows about this whole deal. Some times us girls complain the the guy about his mother.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:25 AM

Grammatjr, you have made some excellent suggestions. I love the idea of the ring bearers pillow. It would be an important part of the ceremony, but not the focal point. How about a "dressy" dress for the wedding rehearsal, or to wear on her honeymoon? At our quilt shop, women use wedding dresses for christening gowns, or a quilt for the christening. Both very important, but a less "critical" project for a beginner, and would be vey meaningful made from grandmothers' gowns!
Old 11-25-2009, 01:44 PM

The DIL and I work well together and I have stressed that she can say "NO" with not hard feelings at any point. She and I both by pass my son and believe me she can say no without any hesitation! I taught her well over the last 5 years!
The DIL wants to understand what I am talking about which is way I purchased the patterns and am asking for ideas from this site.
I have 2 years to work on this but we are going to bridal shows to see if her princess dress is out there. I would never ruin her day.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:38 PM

why don't you both go look at wedding shop,s and look around frist make it a day for both of you ,you can also buy her the wedding dress as a special gift to her from your heart,and use the other dress for other projects that other,s have said you like a purse or pillow or even a jacket ,also what season of year spring ,winter, fall or summer ,i would just buy her the wedding dress of her dream,s