Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
speed quilting >

speed quilting

speed quilting

Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I too love to get some quilts done quickly, like when I'm preparing for a fair and want to make and sell as many things as I can, however, it's also fun to attend an all day event to make quilts for different charities. Yes, there is probably more talking than sewing at times, but since I now only quilt alone, it would be nice to have contact with others who share my love of quilting. That's what I love about QB, I get to see and hear what other quilters are doing, plus I have found some very special "quilt friends" on the QB that I "talk"to frequently via e -mail,and I never would have met them without QB. Thanks and happy quilting whether a solitary craft or in a group - it all works.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:11 PM

I may be a speed quilter because once i have all the planning done( which takes a while) I can hardly stop until it all comes together.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
If I were in a hurry I'd buy a $10.00 blanket. Quilting is my passion, not my job and I enjoy each step equally. Well...perhaps not the cutting

But I don't care what anyone else does.
I enjoy even cutting ! I only make bedspreads and wall hangings and am considering handpiecing a king size.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
I have never been able to compete with others, bc I am in my own little mousie world, happy there, and if interrupted...well, there goes everything, so I have to quilt alone.
Hei Cutie , I heard you´re on boots now ... )
Old 10-16-2012, 02:12 PM

I think it is to each their own. I don't enjoy dragging things out. Projects become a burden and not a pleasurable experience for me if I do. I am doing a BOM for the first time this year and loved the quilt when I signed up. I now hate it. I will finish it but I am not sure I will keep it as I planned.

I sew quickly. I also walk quickly, drive fast and finish books within a day or two of starting them.

None of this is a contest. It is just what satisfies me. If a different pace is for you, I am happy for you.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 PM

I've been doing some speed quilting lately and have not enjoyed it much. "Threads of Love" sent me some Christmas theme panels, which are very*easy to turn into the 18"x18" quilts they want. However, I also got the message that they want them done by Thanksgiving. I've been turning out 3 or 4 (Or more) exactly alike. That takes away*the fun of planning how to best use the fabric.. I feel like a factory robot.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luana View Post
This is such a good topic for discussion. I fit into both categories depending on the quilt I'm working on. Charity quilts get the "speedy me", and for others I am slow and deliberate. My observation is that people new to quilting tend to get discouraged because they cannot put tops together as fast as they thought they could. What a wonderful lesson it would be for them to hear our discussion on enjoying the process.
what a lovely balance! I'd love to speed up a little sometimes, but, no...I wasn't designed that way, lol.
I'll just accept the hand I was dealt and keep on putting one furry little foot in front of the other.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ligia View Post
I enjoy even cutting ! I only make bedspreads and wall hangings and am considering handpiecing a king size.
let's get together, lol! my fibromyalgia makes the cutting part and the basting part painful, or otherwise I would enjoy those too! however, I don't hate them at all...just the pain, oy! I get a feeling of accomplishment from every step I finish until it's all finished, and then I get to share!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ligia View Post
Hei Cutie , I heard you´re on boots now ... )
lol...boots?
funny, I didn't even know you noticed me and I just responded to you...GMTA!
what's boots, lol?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:24 PM

Just joined this board and like this particular thread. I love all aspects of quilting, but do love to see a finished product quickly. Lately I've just wanted to sit down and SEW in what little time I have to make quilts. I've been making quick quilts and runners from layer cakes and charm packs--easy and fun, with little planning and prep needed.