Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
speed >

speed

speed

Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by happyjan
I like to sew fast too! I think because I was in the sewing industry for a long time making clothing. I have just recently started quilting and everyone tells me to slow down!
You get use to the industrial machines that sew at least twice or more than the speed of domestic machines. I loved sewing on the industrial machines but since being out of the industry, I like my domestic better...I feel more relaxed.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 PM

deleted duplicate post
Old 11-11-2010, 01:50 AM

I used to sew "pedal to the metal", but, I am trying to slow down... I now sew at low-medium mark...yes, medium. I find I am more relaxed at this speed and my machine isn't as loud. I am attempting to enjoy the quilting as opposed to racing threw it. I enjoy the challenge of creating the pattern, selecting the fabrics and watching the quilt top grow. Then I get in the "hurry up and get it done" mood and this is another reason I slowed down my machine.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:28 AM

For piecing, I set the maximum speed to medium, but rarely sew even that fast. For quilting, I sew very slowly, because the stitches, at least on my machine, are not as uniform when I sew at a faster speed.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

i learned many years ago sometimes you have to slow down in order to speed up. when i sew slower i make fewer mistakes, less (un-sewing) and my projects come together alot faster than when i am trying to sew with the foot pedal floored...it takes lot more time to repair mistakes than it does to just slow down and do it right.

Originally Posted by JudyMN
How fast do you sew? After a year of quilting, I recently slowed down the speed of my machine and have found it is easier to sew straighter. I like speed, but the results are better a little slower.
Does anyone else like to speed while sewing?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:32 AM

I piece at a medium to slow pace but when it comes to quilting I really slow down. I feel I have more control over my stitches that way.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:36 AM

I adjusted my machine to sew medium speed also.
I do much better that way.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:07 AM

I've never been a speeder, I learned that it is easier to just take my time and (try to) do it right the first time! Besides, every time I get in a hurry I make so many mistakes it takes me twice as long anyway! Slow and steady definitely wins the race for me when it comes to quilting...but I sew like a bat out of hell when it comes to sewing anything else! :-D
Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I adjusted my machine to sew medium speed also.
I do much better that way.
Nadine, I just bought a 503 Tue, Is that is what your avatar is? I only checked it out but it is so quiet.. Mine is in the cabinet so I still have it in the living room. Hope to be able to find a place in my studio to set it up. Beth
Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by BRenea
I've never been a speeder, I learned that it is easier to just take my time and (try to) do it right the first time! Besides, every time I get in a hurry I make so many mistakes it takes me twice as long anyway! Slow and steady definitely wins the race for me when it comes to quilting...but I sew like a bat out of hell when it comes to sewing anything else! :-D
I sew like the dickens when FMQ, then I am trying to slow it down a little for piecing.