Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Spending foolishly at the quilt show

I went to the PA quilt show in Oaks, PA last Thurs & again Sun (one admission price covered all 4 days). Oh yes, it was fun. The quilts & goodies were beautiful. But I really pretty good at money management. But this quilt show I just felt reckless...I bought the x-block template from the Sue Pelland booth thurs went back sun & bought the book and another template. Bought a few panels (yea like I need more of those!), A kalidescope template, marking chalk, some charms, a really neat template for making leaves. Geez I don't use 90% of the items in my sewing room already...I had to vent somewhere...anyone else have a "spend foolish" story?

I probably will have after the first. Going to the airing of the quilts in PA....can't wait!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    I went to the PA quilt show in Oaks, PA last Thurs & again Sun (one admission price covered all 4 days). Oh yes, it was fun. The quilts & goodies were beautiful. But I really pretty good at money management. But this quilt show I just felt reckless...I bought the x-block template from the Sue Pelland booth thurs went back sun & bought the book and another template. Bought a few panels (yea like I need more of those!), A kalidescope template, marking chalk, some charms, a really neat template for making leaves. Geez I don't use 90% of the items in my sewing room already...I had to vent somewhere...anyone else have a "spend foolish" story?
    Yep!! Everytime I go to a quilt show/LQS or anywhere with fabric!! :roll: And I have a sewing room full of 'must have' gadgets!!! :lol: :lol:

I love the quilt in your avatar! The colors are so striking. What is the name of the pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by nclauri
    I love the quilt in your avatar! The colors are so striking. What is the name of the pattern?
    That is a simple Diappearing 9 patch. thanks for the compliment

I'm that way with patterns, but most of my gadgets I use at some point, just not all right away. Had a light box that I didn't touch for 3 years, now I use it tons. I figure, when I need it, I will have it and not have to buy a ton of stuff at once for a project.

Yeah, dropped some money, too, on thursday's show. All I bought were some paTerns, two wide backs, and a jelly role of reproduction fabrics. Boy did that add up. BUT it was fun.

I had to learn to give myself a "show allowance" and when it was gone I was done shopping. I loved the years that International was in Chicago, but it was very easy to get carried away. I still have a few fat quarter bundles that .... fall into the "what was I thinking category ". But still miss my annual spree at the "Fat Quarter Queen".

Yeah but you never know. You might need it some day!

OMGoodness I have everything, but I do use it once in a while, LOL, My studio looks like a LQS. Oh well ;-)

I can have a list of things I want/need so I can stick to my budget and I'll still make at least one impulsive purchase that sometimes ends up being a big white elephant. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

I wish I had a quilt show to spend my money at, LOL. I don't even have a fabric store closer than 50 miles, so when I do get to go I don't feel too guilty.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I always tell folks, walk it three times..makes notes of the booth you saw it in, and what it was and the price...then sit down, do some math...and THEN...to avoid buyer's remorse...go to the booth ALONE so there is NO peer pressure..remember your friends really do like to spend YOUR money..heheheh

I am right with you!! The end of September/first of October is our shop hop. I can already see it now . . . buy buy buy and buy yet even more! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by DeeBooper
    I probably will have after the first. Going to the airing of the quilts in PA....can't wait!!!!
    Where/when is this????

I'm usually pretty good about buying at shows. I don't maintain a 'stash' per se - just my normal over buying which leads to a stash. If I buy anything it's usually patterns. I just don't have the room to have things I'm not convinced I'm going to use. Now if I could only find an 8" x 24" ruler at a reasonable price.....

When I go to big shows I find what I want and then compare prices. I'm amazed at the different prices for the same item. Did that at the last show I attended and when I went back to get the cheaper price it was gone, Guess someone else shops like I do.

No---- never - nope uh uh, NEVER spend too much at these shows..............ooops - gotta go, my nose is bumping into the monitor!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Heck YES, i've overspent. I'm leaving on Thursday to go to the expo in Portland for the quilt show and PLAN on spending a LOT! :thumbup:

I try to keep myself in check, but I admit a weakness for buying panels as well. I always buy at least a few at MQX each year, using the excuse that they are ones I've never seen before...and might not be able to find ever again...LOL.

No Never!!! LOL

I try to limit my budget for new items.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I always tell folks, walk it three times..makes notes of the booth you saw it in, and what it was and the price...then sit down, do some math...and THEN...to avoid buyer's remorse...go to the booth ALONE so there is NO peer pressure..remember your friends really do like to spend YOUR money..heheheh
    Great advice. Getting ready to go to my first big one, can't wait!!

Yeah. Every time I walk into the local quilt shop, or JoAnn, or any other place that sells fabric or sewing supplies.

I was getting ready to ask the same thing. Colors are great and so is the pattern. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    Quote Originally Posted by nclauri
    That is a simple Diappearing 9 patch. thanks for the compliment

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I have learned to walk the walk. One time I actually left the show without spending a penny. Amazing.

Blog Entries
    I just call it "my caught up in the moment" shopping. One never knows when we will need those items but we are ready when we do.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast