Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spending foolishly at the quilt show >

Spending foolishly at the quilt show

Spending foolishly at the quilt show

Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 PM

I really liked the international quilts section. And, yes, I did spend some money. I bought wool, wool, and then some more wool, and some wool patterns. It was fun.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:26 PM

I am going to the Airing of the Quilts on Oct. 5th also. Hopethe weather is good. I case no one knows its in Tunkhannock Pa. A nice event and lots to see.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM

Sometimes you just need to let go and enjoy. I don't think it is foolish. It maybe that something you bought will turn out to be something you treasure!
Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Oh well, now you got what you want for Christmas and no one knows how to buy that, right?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Landers View Post
My 3rd time at the Houston International Quilt Show, I spend almost $10,000.00. That was the year I found out my DH loves me unconditionally!

Wow! What did you get?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 PM

Since I live in Houston and go to the International Quilt Fest every year, I've started keeping an envelope in my drawer. At the end of every week, I put some money in. That way when Quilt Fest rolls around I have enough money that I can splurge if I want. It makes it a lot more fun! And I find that when I can buy pretty much what I want, I don't really spend as much. It seems like things look better to me if I can't really afford them.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

Don't beat yourself up too bad... it's all part of having fun at the quilt show!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:44 PM

I love going to a quilt show for 2 days day one I look at half of quilts on show then wonder around the stalls. Deciding on what I would like to buy. Usually leave day one with nothing. Go home and decide on what I want and need. I actually make a written list. Go to day 2 usually leaving list behind. I then go and purchase and enjoy. One year bought a sewing machine and realised I could not carry box to car, so purchased a bag to fit it in with wheels.

When I go home I can also heck if show prices are cheaper or free delivery. If you see me at a show I will be the crackerjack person with arms full of gadgets and fabric. I have to go to steength training prior to a show.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK View Post
I went to the PA quilt show in Oaks, PA last Thurs & again Sun (one admission price covered all 4 days). Oh yes, it was fun. The quilts & goodies were beautiful. But I really pretty good at money management. But this quilt show I just felt reckless...I bought the x-block template from the Sue Pelland booth thurs went back sun & bought the book and another template. Bought a few panels (yea like I need more of those!), A kalidescope template, marking chalk, some charms, a really neat template for making leaves. Geez I don't use 90% of the items in my sewing room already...I had to vent somewhere...anyone else have a "spend foolish" story?
I went to a quilt show (Raintree Quilters) in Evansville, in. I'm so mad at myself for one purchase. I found some homespun for $2.9something. I picked one piece, 5 yardss. When I took time to open it and wash it, I found a WIDE fabric-------didn't measure it buy it's way beyond 45", probably 54, mayber 60" wide. If I'd known how wide it is, I'd have bought more.

Saw some beautiul quilts. And darn it, my phone camera was not wanting ot cooperate.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:17 AM

I always knew I was probably in the "majority" and not the "minority" in my spending on must-haves when i enter a quilt show or shop...now if I could just organize it so I knew what I have and could find it when I feel the need.