Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spending foolishly at the quilt show >

Spending foolishly at the quilt show

Spending foolishly at the quilt show

Old 09-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Feeling your pain--our LQS had all kits 30% off this week--ran by Monday to pick up just a "little more" needed material and walked out with it, plus 5 fat quarters and TWO kits--yikes! And our quilt show is this weekend and know I'll buy stuff, get my rotary blades sharpened(which is what I really need to spend on) and likely bid on silent auction stuff. Just keep telling myself that the fabric for the 8 quilts I'm now stashing won't spoil in the next 18 months when I retire (and am too broke to do this!).
Old 09-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Oops, what I meant was I used the "Turning Twenty Again" for those. I know you can have nice, large FQ packs for that one-like the 30 makes a nice King.
Originally Posted by Dar-midlife
Lori, try making a quilt or two with the "Yellow Brick Road" (it's a FQ pattern by Terry Atkinson. I bought several (still have one) packs of FQs at shows and this is a fast, great way to do one. I think it takes 30 for a king and less going down in size. Very attractive. If you are interested, I could take a photo of the one on my bed now and send it to you via PM or try to post on here! There are lots of other FQ patterns too if this doesn't appeal to you.

Originally Posted by Lori S
I had to learn to give myself a "show allowance" and when it was gone I was done shopping. I loved the years that International was in Chicago, but it was very easy to get carried away. I still have a few fat quarter bundles that .... fall into the "what was I thinking category ". But still miss my annual spree at the "Fat Quarter Queen".
Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 PM

I was theer on Saturday. It was a great show. Did some spending but I think I kept it under control.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:52 PM

I love to spend foolishly at a quilt show. That is why I save up a lot of money knowing I will be attending one. If I see it, I want it. Now. I may never see it again. I've actually used all but one tool that I bought at a Quilt show. Patterns not so much.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Dee

I give myself limits. But one needs things to look at & feel.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I always tell folks, walk it three times..makes notes of the booth you saw it in, and what it was and the price...then sit down, do some math...and THEN...to avoid buyer's remorse...go to the booth ALONE so there is NO peer pressure..remember your friends really do like to spend YOUR money..heheheh
Good idea: Smart calculating:: I like this method and need to stick to it::: Thanks for the advise:
Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 AM

I usually manage to spend less than $20 at shows. However, in April at a Denver show I bought a very expensive iron. I really enjoy using it and it was well worth it. It does have a lifetime guarantee.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 AM

I've bought gadgets and fabric and tools and had them 'disappear' into a storage box. Sometimes it takes them years to emerge again...

When they finally do, I tell myself that I've just been given a gift from my past little self... a gift from my past to my present. Then I say a big thank you to my past and use the object happily!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 AM

So since I missed the Oaks, PA show, - watching the Grandkids - are there any shows coming up in the next couple of month. Maybe in the eastern PA,DE,NJ,MD area.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 AM

I was there on Sat and I don't think it's spending money foolishly when the prices were SO good !! I bought 39 spools of thread for embroidery, some TAP transfer paper and some needles...lots of good bargains there...