Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray baste or pin >

Spray baste or pin

Spray baste or pin

Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 AM

I have a frame set up I normally use. If I'm doing a smaller quilt and quilt it on my regular sewing machine, I love spray basting!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:45 AM

I am fortunate to have a friend who is a LAQ. We barter for the quilting. I do bindings for her and she quilts my 'stuff'. It never hurt to ask the LAQ's in your area.

Can't help with quilting-- I stink at it!!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Spray Baste!!!!!
Me too! :thumbup:
Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
Starching seems like a huge help and has many enthusiastic practitioners on the topic. I'll have to try it on my next quilt!
If you have not starched before creating your sandwich, you can still spray starch afterwards. Lay the sandwich on a large sheet and spray starch from the edges towards the center (to minimize overspray). Let dry (a fan speeds up this process), then spray again. A few layers of spray starch like this on both sides of the sandwich can help a lot to prevent puckers.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 AM

You may want to look under search feature at some of the previous postings concerning spray basting. I have not used spray basting, but I have I have read post in the past saying that it can cause fabric discoloration.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 AM

Can't help myself, must comment. I have spray basted 120+ quilts with no problems, only VERY positive results. Have not experienced fabric discoloration, gummy needles, puckers, or lung damage ;-). I lay an over sized flannel sheet over my king bed and headboard. The sheet helps hold the project in place and protects from over spray. Arrange batting on backing, peel back half, spray lightly (can add more if needed), smooth batting down, repeat for other half. Arrange top on batting and repeat process, flip project over to double check for smoothness, let stand for a few minutes, and proceed with quilting or storage. Directing spray toward center of project helps with over spray. I have never starched or ironed while basting, just sprayed, and I don't add pins. I can now baste a king sized quilt (120x120) in less than an hour and it saves my back and knees!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:32 AM

i only spray baste and love it but remember go lightly and try to use it outside or in a well ventalated room also i only use 505 spray i think it is the best and wont gunk your needle
Old 07-27-2011, 10:35 AM

I tried basting spray and broke my automatic threader on my machine. I noticed the eye of my needle was gummy. yikes
Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
Starching seems like a huge help and has many enthusiastic practitioners on the topic. I'll have to try it on my next quilt!
If you have not starched before creating your sandwich, you can still spray starch afterwards. Lay the sandwich on a large sheet and spray starch from the edges towards the center (to minimize overspray). Let dry (a fan speeds up this process), then spray again. A few layers of spray starch like this on both sides of the sandwich can help a lot to prevent puckers.
Thanks for the advice Prism! Does it matter if the fabric was (intentionally) not prewashed? And what it there are safety pins all over your sandwhich? Can it still be sprayed with starch?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:42 PM

are you using a walking foot??